What did you do to your R18 today?

Removed the stock exhausts on my R18 C in preparation for removal of rear wheel. Literally took 10 - 15 mins to remove both. Made me realise how easy it will be to remove for a thorough clean, etc.

Agreed. I removed the flappers and cats and drilled out the small baffle. Love the result.
And in combination with the brentune it’s gone from mundane to exhilarating
Nice! Would love to try to do the same to mine, including the Brentune. Any videos on YouTube showing how that's done? I'll admit other than doing an oil change, I'm not that mechanically inclined. The tool I use most when working on my bike is my credit card (paying a service tech to do it). Haha!

Nice! Would love to try to do the same to mine, including the Brentune. Any videos on YouTube showing how that's done? I'll admit other than doing an oil change, I'm not that mechanically inclined. The tool I use most when working on my bike is my credit card (paying a service tech to do it). Haha!
sorry you are not going to find any one stop shopping for this info. But it’s all on the forum with a little digging.

Servo removal for the flaps is a couple screws. Will need two servo buddies to connect to satisfy bike computer. Much discussed in other threads under exhaust.

Cat removal is a messy job. Requires grinder and ability to weld it back up. Google it and watch the videos. If you take the exhaust off you ‘may’ find a local muffler shop who will do this for you if you want to pay for it.

Drilling out baffles… took some weird long drill extensions and was a pain. Would not worry about doing this.

Brentune is straight forward with their instructions and there are again many threads here about it

I have the BrenTune but not that interested in messing with my original Classic style exhaust. Having seen how easy it is to remove the exhausts I might be interested in the short Race Pace exhausts, (Or whatever their correct name might be).

I have the BrenTune but not that interested in messing with my original Classic style exhaust. Having seen how easy it is to remove the exhausts I might be interested in the short Race Pace exhausts, (Or whatever their correct name might be).
I would stay a football field away from any exhaust company who can’t make mandrel bends. Or more importantly, who is so clueless to think that this is good. But you do you.

IMG_1761.jpeg

I pulled my R18 "oil condensate hose plug" which is a real doozy of a job the first time. Not only extremely difficult to find, even on the Kern-Stabi lift. The plug was dry in the rubber hose which also made it extremely difficult to pull out and you are only working with 2" +/- of hose. Used an assortment of tools including extended needle nose pliers and a locking hemostatic clamp. I followed Scott's video...see below (THANK YOU SCOTT).....painted the plug so it is easier to find, lubed it so it would be easier to remove from the hose the next time. Oh, and no condensate dripped out! IMG_7033.jpgIMG_7030.jpg

I pulled my R18 "oil condensate hose plug" which is a real doozy of a job the first time. Not only extremely difficult to find, even on the Kern-Stabi lift. The plug was dry in the rubber hose which also made it extremely difficult to pull out and you are only working with 2" +/- of hose. Used an assortment of tools including extended needle nose pliers and a locking hemostatic clamp. I followed Scott's video...see below (THANK YOU SCOTT).....painted the plug so it is easier to find, lubed it so it would be easier to remove from the hose the next time. Oh, and no condensate dripped out! View attachment 14908View attachment 14909
I didn’t even know that was a thing.

A thread about little mods and tweaks. When good enough isn't quite good enough...

3M protective tape between rubber pillion seat feet and rear fender.
View attachment 223

I put a little talc on the rubber feet to sort out exactly where they landed. The result is not super pretty but it's effective.

Nate

***Those are not scratches but merely reflections. Kinda did a double-take there.
Rode it to Birmingham and back

At a gathering of bikers, personal belongings don't disappear. We respect the time and effort invested.
At a public high school or any public venue for that matter, all personal belongings disappear.
Don't ask how I know.

I removed my fish tale's and ran the bike for a while to see (hear really) how much noise is is stolen by them. They are quite light finned.... ie steal heeps of db's.

So now to think over how brave I want to be.... I only want 25% of the stolen db's back.

My default "do nothing" might be to get a local slip om exhaust from the Rogue guys.... they do a long and a short version.... but the fishies do feel special.

image_2841fd76-5859-49bf-9c0e-b7d8d9100f2c_2000x.jpeg

And long.... $100 more

image_f7bc517d-02e7-4824-851e-4a28aacb0967_5000x.jpeg

Last edited:
IbNuXly.jpeg

Seen at today's BMW MOA Rally in Redmond Oregon. I absolutely love it.

I removed my fish tale's and ran the bike for a while to see (hear really) how much noise is is stolen by them. They are quite light finned.... ie steal heeps of db's.

So now to think over how brave I want to be.... I only want 25% of the stolen db's back.

My default "do nothing" might be to get a local slip om exhaust from the Rogue guys.... they do a long and a short version.... but the fishies do feel special.

View attachment 14914

And long.... $100 more

View attachment 14915
Good for you. I have been suggesting people do this for some time. It’s an easy option. Next is to disconnect the flappers and try it again to see what the do. Quite interesting difference in start up and throttle blips.

Did you ride the bike or just run it?

Back