What did you do to your R18 today?

Good for you. I have been suggesting people do this for some time. It’s an easy option. Next is to disconnect the flappers and try it again to see what the do. Quite interesting difference in start up and throttle blips.

Did you ride the bike or just run it?
A small ride (was wet)... but will take it for something a bit longer later this week.... no rush to put the muffers back just yet. My flappers are always open..... but I would have liked them working for this experiment.

Waiting on the ServoBuddy modules to arrive sometime today; I figured I'd go out for an early ride in order to capture a baseline of my exhaust sound prior to deleting the BMW Servo Module Unit and disconnect the exhaust flap.

I'll probably disconnect the cables from the flap cam and connect the ServoBuddy modules prior to me fully committing to a full removal:

Screenshot_20240615-074159.pngView attachment 14933

Waiting on the ServoBuddy modules to arrive sometime today; I figured I'd go out for an early ride in order to capture a baseline of my exhaust sound prior to deleting the BMW Servo Module Unit and disconnect the exhaust flap.

I'll probably disconnect the cables from the flap cam and connect the ServoBuddy modules prior to me fully committing to a full removal:

View attachment 14932View attachment 14933
As a star lord you must know that the flaps default to open. Thus you can disconnect the cable that closes them and the flaps will remain open and the bike will never know. You only need the servo buddies if/when you remove the whole unit.

As a star lord you must know that the flaps default to open. Thus you can disconnect the cable that closes them and the flaps will remain open and the bike will never know. You only need the servo buddies if/when you remove the whole unit.
Yeah.. I was planning on removing the servo module all together; it seems very over engineered... Also, I'll have to figure out how to mount the Jekyll & Hyde servo motor that also controls another set of exhaust gates...

In short, I want to test the overall sound with the OEM gates defaulted in the OPEN state before committing to the total removal; I didn't want to test with simply disconnecting the cables from each cam, I don't want to risk "Jacking-Up" the servo unit if the cables are in a push-pull type configuration. I don't want cables bound up or misaligned internally...

Yeah.. I was planning on removing the servo module all together; it seems very over engineered... Also, I'll have to figure out how to mount the Jekyll & Hyde servo motor that also controls another set of exhaust gates...

In short, I want to test the overall sound with the OEM gates defaulted in the OPEN state before committing to the total removal; I didn't want to test with simply disconnecting the cables from each cam, I don't want to risk "Jacking-Up" the servo unit if the cables are in a push-pull type configuration. I don't want cables bound up or misaligned internally...

I removed the servo motor completely this afternoon and installed the Servo Buddy modules; no errors codes, and no noticable difference in the exhaust during my short test ride.. I'm riding tomorrow... I'll report in if anything changes or is worth noting.

Rearranged the Jekyll & Hyde servo motors and tucked the ServoBuddy modules up high to avoid water (Orange wire tie) and covered them in heat shrink packed with dielectric grease.

Happy Father's Day fellas... A couple of us are sneaking out for a ride in order to be back and hang with the family...

Screenshot_20240616-090014.png

Last edited:
I removed the servo motor completely this afternoon and installed the Servo Buddy modules; no errors codes, and no noticable difference in the exhaust during my short test ride.. I'm riding tomorrow... I'll report in if anything changes or is worth noting.

Rearranged the Jekyll & Hyde servo motors and tucked the ServoBuddy modules up high to avoid water (Orange wire tie) and covered them in heat shrink packed with dielectric grease.

Happy Father's Day fellas... A couple of us are sneaking out for a ride in order to be back and hang with the family...

View attachment 14952

Not sure if removing the servo motor, which defaulted the exhaust gate to an open position improved HP, or if it is all mental thinking; during yesterday's ride, the bike seemed much more responsive throttle wise..

I'm leaving the configuration as is for now...

Not sure if removing the servo motor, which defaulted the exhaust gate to an open position improved HP, or if it is all mental thinking; during yesterday's ride, the bike seemed much more responsive throttle wise..

I'm leaving the configuration as is for now...
I have often wondered if the 2000 rpm torque drop and slow climb is due to the closed to open flapper. That would be noticeable. If so, keeping them open would remove that. Conjecture only.

Glad it’s even more fun.

Last edited:
Hi, did you change your left combination switch to control the aux light?
Ordered part number 61319467935 Combo Switch Left $315, for bikes with ACC. But it was not necessary in order for it to work the auxiliary lights, the old switch worked perfectly. I switched it out in hopes of having the icon appear on the TFT, which that did not do. Was able to finally get the icon to appear on the TFT using GS911.

Last edited:
Back