What did you do to your R18 today?

I can’t really tell from the pics….are they not painted black?
Seems odd they are primed only.

I ordered the parts unpainted; the difference in price was pretty substantial, somewhere in the order of an additional $800.

I'm using the Black color paint code: ND2

The inside piece that the rider's knees face, that was delivered painted. The additional hardware (screws, snap clips, etc.) was $150 (incredible) at my local dealership, which doesn't participate in the 35% BMWMOA discount.

I ordered the parts unpainted; the difference in price was pretty substantial, somewhere in the order of an additional $800.

I'm using the Black color paint code: ND2

The inside piece that the rider's knees face, that was delivered painted. The additional hardware (screws, snap clips, etc.) was $150 (incredible) at my local dealership, which doesn't participate in the 35% BMWMOA discount.
If you are interested.Hannigan Motorsports matched the sidecar to my R18C paint and pinstripes.They may sell you the paint or help you if needed.270-753-4256 ask for Ruth Anne.

I helped a fellow R18 forum member with the removal of the Servo Module on their R 18 FE this weekend, he is waiting on the delivery of the two Servo-Buddy modules in order to complete the job.

I also purchased the used X518 Kern-Stabi stand, and fabricated a jig in order to accommodate the Jekyll & Hyde exhaust on my R18 B. Lifting the bike was a super easy process and not a heavy lift; I can easily see how the stand will come in handy for routine maintenance.

Question: Is storing the bike up on the stand over the Winter Season, a Good thing for the tires or a Bad thing for the suspension?

View attachment 8078
I received the Jekyll & Hyde exhaust adapters, which fit the X518 stand today; they basically attached to the exhaust support arm, which is different then the OEM exhaust X518 anchor point.

The cost to ship from Germany, was almost the same price as the adapters themself... I probably should had just purchased the stand new and complete at this point...

IMG_20221209_172123188.jpg

Last edited:
E355B4FE-A91D-40D0-8F9B-FDBFBA53FB2D.jpeg
Got the tuning file and installed it on the bike. Works as advertised. Cold and hot idle are night and day different, no dead spot after 3k RPM, rock mode definitely deeper and more sound, throttle is snappy, rev hang gone.

Not cheap (got the 15% holiday discount), but bike feels like what it maybe was supposed to before euro 5 neutering. Can’t wait to get some pipes on it!!

View attachment 8115
Got the tuning file and installed it on the bike. Works as advertised. Cold and hot idle are night and day different, no dead spot after 3k RPM, rock mode definitely deeper and more sound, throttle is snappy, rev hang gone.

Not cheap (got the 15% holiday discount), but bike feels like what it maybe was supposed to before euro 5 neutering. Can’t wait to get some pipes on it!!
About to de-tune mine for its next service. Hopefully all will go to plan.

I haven't been keeping up with this thread... Do you need to de-tune it so that the dealer doesn't void the warrantee?
Partly.
The other reason is that should BMW carry out an ECU re-set, you will lose your tune and BrenTune will charge again for the program. This will cost you somewhere around $135.00 BrenTune make this very clear in their instructions.

Partly.
The other reason is that should BMW carry out an ECU re-set, you will lose your tune and BrenTune will charge again for the program. This will cost you somewhere around $135.00 BrenTune make this very clear in their instructions.
Not a software engineer or whatever, but I kind of assume a dealer plugging the bike in to something like a GS-911 wouldn't show anything in terms of the tune. If it isn't generating error codes, a simple XXXX miles service probably wouldn't matter. That is a good point if there is some sort of software update they are installing though.

On losing your tune, I have the original scan and the tune they sent saved on my computer. Would it be an issue with it already "being used" and the new scan would be prohibited?

Not a software engineer or whatever, but I kind of assume a dealer plugging the bike in to something like a GS-911 wouldn't show anything in terms of the tune. If it isn't generating error codes, a simple XXXX miles service probably wouldn't matter. That is a good point if there is some sort of software update they are installing though.

On losing your tune, I have the original scan and the tune they sent saved on my computer. Would it be an issue with it already "being used" and the new scan would be prohibited?
I suspect that for copy protection etc BrenTune have it sewn up pretty tightly. They strongly advise removing the tune at service time. Another negative feature is that when you sell the bike, the hardware etc cannot be transferred to the new owner.

Added the Wunderlich passenger seat to my 21 classic. It works with the factory drivers seat. Wife happy. Therefore, I am happy. Highly recommend!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_20221212_155243.jpg
    IMG_20221212_155243.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 39
  • IMG_20221212_155233.jpg
    IMG_20221212_155233.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_20221212_155227.jpg
    IMG_20221212_155227.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 42
  • IMG_20221212_155221.jpg
    IMG_20221212_155221.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 40
I helped a fellow R18 forum member with the removal of the Servo Module on their R 18 FE this weekend, he is waiting on the delivery of the two Servo-Buddy modules in order to complete the job.

I also purchased the used X518 Kern-Stabi stand, and fabricated a jig in order to accommodate the Jekyll & Hyde exhaust on my R18 B. Lifting the bike was a super easy process and not a heavy lift; I can easily see how the stand will come in handy for routine maintenance.

Question: Is storing the bike up on the stand over the Winter Season, a Good thing for the tires or a Bad thing for the suspension?

View attachment 8078

Received a text from Jeff over the weekend.. SERVO BUDDY modules were finally delivered and installed without any issues or fault codes..

MAX BMW delivered my TC Lower Leg Wind Protection parts today... Looking for some ideas paint wise.. Do I just get them painted BLACK to match my bike, or add white pin stripe or something else..? Ideas..? I haven't seen much in the custom department for the Baggers.

View attachment 8102

Painted Parts Below: Also, I tried to show detailed pictures for anyone thinking of removing their TC Lower Wind Protection. The forward leading piece snaps into place with coupling snap clips; get a purchase point starting at the Top of the piece, and work pressure in removing the leading piece as you move down towards the bottom. The forward leading piece is fitted in at the bottom in a "hinge-like" fashion to the main piece which secures the Lower Leg Wind Protection to the Engine Protection Bar. (I show it in a couple of the below pictures)

I measured the void space within the main body and the finished cap piece at 2.5" to 3"; not much to work with for someone looking to fabricate a storage space. The forward leading piece could certainly be equipped with a L.E.D. light design, and the close proximity to the main-body of the bike; the wiring can certainly be finished with a clean look.

1671364850472.png
1671364894365.png
1671364961472.png

Had my TC pinstriped. A very subtle olive stripe on the fairing, tank, saddlebags and tour pack and front fender

Attachments

• ps5.jpg
    ps5.jpg
    366.8 KB · Views: 61
  • ps4.jpg
    ps4.jpg
    307.8 KB · Views: 56
  • ps3.jpg
    ps3.jpg
    303.3 KB · Views: 52
  • ps2.jpg
    ps2.jpg