What did you do to your R18 today?

I'm not a Sirius satellite radio user in any of my vehicles; I think the DL for Sirius is in the S-Band (2.33GHz) and the US GPS DL is 1.6GHz. Satellite radio in metropolitan areas generally receive their programs via earth based transmitters, vs satellite.

Attached are pictures showing under the fairing and the radio receiver; I couldn't find anything about the radio that BMW uses (Alpine).

I'm not a Sirius satellite radio user in any of my vehicles; I think the DL for Sirius is in the S-Band (2.33GHz) and the US GPS DL is 1.6GHz. Satellite radio in metropolitan areas generally receive their programs via earth based transmitters, vs satellite.

Attached are pictures showing under the fairing and the radio receiver; I couldn't find anything about the radio that BMW uses (Alpine).

I always assumed that the basic navigation details (street name and next turn) was determined by the GPS system inherit within the OEM radio receiver; in addition, I assumed the satellite radio would use the same puck antenna for both signals.

I think your pictures aren't showing, at least I'm not able to see them.

I assumed the satellite radio would use the same puck antenna for both signals.
That could be the case. But the link to the antenna (in my previous post) doesn't mention GPS, only sdars. And why would not all bikes have the same GPS feature inbuilt?

Perhaps the only way to be sure is to turn off bluetooth AND wifi on the phone (or even better leave it at home), then take a ride to check if you get turn-by-turn directions.

I haven't even taken the first ride on my new bike yet because of the season, but I will test this eventually unless someone beats me to it.

Perhaps the only way to be sure is to turn off bluetooth AND wifi on the phone (or even better leave it at home), then take a ride to check if you get turn-by-turn directions
I think navigation requires the Connected app via bluetooth - if so that test would fail even if there is a gps antenna on the bike of course.

Well this is long overdue but I finally got my lazy ass going and took pictures. I’ll try and rattle off the mods that have been done. If anyone cares and has questions I’m more than happy to answer.

wunderlich rear crash bars
wunderlich front turn signals
wunderlich shift/brake extender heads
wunderlich front axle sliders
BMW option 719 seat
RSD rear/front brake cylinder covers, head covers, and front brake/clutch levers
BMW front crash bars painted black
brentune
Roughcraft exhaust
DNA stage 2 air filter/housing
7 jurock windshield
stripped almost every bolt and painted with black acrylic paint
Tank emblems but can’t remember where I got those from167BD9FB-5FAC-4223-94F1-FBF2D161E796.jpeg6EEE552D-ACB9-436C-8B42-4CF832B4EEAA.jpeg

7F93B31C-227D-40F5-9D76-9F4DC671760E.jpegC02522FA-6280-4D28-A47E-60A6EB575940.jpegFCA386E6-67B1-4631-8FAA-ACBBA71B430A.jpeg4726DC09-F8C9-4825-92D5-343B9EBE7E84.jpeg960D2C20-9D2A-4ADA-A5B9-87BD3999FDD9.jpeg

Last edited:
Back