Is there a BMW shop manual out for our bikes yet? Or, an electronic version?

Really,do not understand the problem,most of the UK is suffering a skills shortage, so much so I recently passed a car dealership ,sign board outside ,"technicans wanted" £2,000 (2400USD) sign on Fee!
What i'm getting at if they are so busy why not let the enthusiasts have the manuals , and if they dont I dont think BMW will get the results theyre looking for ?
Why dont BMW have independent national franchised repair shops across the usa /uk ? Closer to customers and not tied to showroom, able to sell accesseories offer mecanical advise etc?
With regard to tecnicians not mechanics
I wont pay £50 + (60) usd an hour for a non skilled job Ie oil change s , wheel removal etc Somthing more technical yes.timing belt chain, etc
Anyway the whole thing needs a good a review and soon
Thank you

Last edited:
I got a response from BMW Motorrad USA. As a surprise to, exactly no one, here's what they said:

"Dear Michael,

Thanks for writing to BMW Motorrad USA regarding service manuals. I appreciate your loyalty with us; although, I’m sorry to learn of your disappointment.

BMW Motorrad no longer provides service manuals. Please note, BMW is fully committed to providing our customers with the ultimate experience. An integral part of this process involves incorporating feedback from our valued customers, and I have already shared your thoughts internally. You can be assured that your sentiments will be heard.

Should you need to contact BMW Motorrad Customer Relations and Services again, you can reach us at 1-800-831-1117 Monday through Thursday from 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. ET and Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. ET.

Thanks for sharing your valued feedback with us, Michael.

Kind regards,

Abigail
BMW Motorrad USA
Representative

MAKE LIFE A RIDE.

FEEL EVERYTHING, FEAR NOTHING.
Build your own bike at www.bmwmotorcycles.com."

So, I got the standard boilerplate response :ROFLMAO:.

Now, I need to figure out how to contact the big boys and girls over in Berlin/Munich to press the issue. This is FAR from over...

Mike
Think you need a petition , if nothing works , www change .org?

Think you need a petition , if nothing works , www change .org?
I don't think anything short of a lawsuit is going to change BMW NA's mind. It took a lawsuit for Harley Davidson to change their ways.

I'm also a BMW shareholder and, reading the tealeaves, it seems nowadays that BMW is more interested in returning shareholder value than listening to its customers. Returning shareholder value means squeezing every last cent from avenues previously verboten, like charging for heated seats in South Korea. On the stock market, BMW's share price is holding surprisingly strong, despite the greater markets dropping all around it. As a shareholder, I'm pleased. As a customer, I'm pissed. It's an odd dichotomy.

Mike

I don't think anything short of a lawsuit is going to change BMW NA's mind. It took a lawsuit for Harley Davidson to change their ways.

I'm also a BMW shareholder and, reading the tealeaves, it seems nowadays that BMW is more interested in returning shareholder value than listening to its customers. Returning shareholder value means squeezing every last cent from avenues previously verboten, like charging for heated seats in South Korea. On the stock market, BMW's share price is holding surprisingly strong, despite the greater markets dropping all around it. As a shareholder, I'm pleased. As a customer, I'm pissed. It's an odd dichotomy.

Mike
I'd be considering exiting that position as I don't think most of the ICE manufacturers will be around this decade.. Their transition to electric is too little too late and the ICE write offs will be monumental. I hope BMW make it but I'm sure there will be ways to maintain our bikes in the same way horses didn't go extinct.

We are making huge steps on the repair and service workshop manual as a Wiki at www.r1800wiki.org

Thanks to all of you up to now for contributions and pictures.

Enclosed a picture of mine enjoying the sun and dry streets in the Alps/Germany

View attachment 9103
We are making huge steps on the repair and service workshop manual as a Wiki at www.r1800wiki.org

Thanks to all of you up to now for contributions and pictures.

Enclosed a picture of mine enjoying the sun and dry streets in the Alps/Germany

View attachment 9103
Thank You for the information Didi. Cheers from British Columbia Canada

Agreed. After 30 years BMW, 20 of which waiting for the R18, that would have made me shift to Harley.
I can emphatically state I would not have purchased the R18 if I had known there wasn’t a service manual available. I usually purchase one at the time of delivery but when I asked they dodged the question and told me it hadn’t yet been released.

Sadly, more and more, it seems manuals are becoming more difficult to own. I have an Ineos Grenadier one of the selling points being the free issue of workshop info. So far, not available.

Back