Is there a BMW shop manual out for our bikes yet? Or, an electronic version?

Accessory installs are fine, but we want proper shop manuals. Owners like myself will never send our bikes into the dealer unless there was a critical software update. Everything else we do ourselves.

I’m hoping that Eastern Europe can come through for us on a pirated service manual. But, I’d ALSO be more than happy to PAY for an official service manual from BMW if they’d offer it…I’d be first in line if BMW NA offered it!

IDGAF who comes through for our community first. I repeat, I will NOT go to a dealer for service work!!! Sorry, not sorry! I’ll just muck through it and interpret through prior oil head manuals for general guidance.

Mike
My kind of person!

Harley Davidson was recently sued by someone claiming warranty could not be refused just because an off brand of oil was used.
I just received the new warranty papers as HD lost the case.
I can see a related law suite coming to BMW over shop manuals.

I recognize your post is meant to be humorous but BMW will come to realize they are causing self-inflicted harm to their brand by this simple decision to discontinue DVD service manuals. Hubris is one thing, but when hubris begins to impact the bottom-line, that's when the higher-ups start asking questions.

BMW wants the R18 line to be successful. Good! I want it to as well, just as much as I wish the r1200c line was before it. But BMW also needs to realize that there's a good many American cruiser owners who DON'T get their bikes serviced at dealers or shops; They do the work themselves. There's an old Harley joke that spring/summer/fall's for riding and winter's for fixing and rebuilding.

I've observed that BMW employs a LOT of PhD's. I don't pretend to understand German culture, but on the flip-side, they seem to think they have come to understand OUR culture, regarding American cruisers. PhD's are academics (e.g. "book-smart") but based on their decisions, like the recent decision to charge monthly fee for heated seats in its bimmers, BMW is increasingly losing touch with its customers in favor of squeezing out every last penny. And, like Bwana is eluding to, with the upcoming recession (it IS coming, IMO after November midterms), people will be pinching pennies and watching YT on how to do their own maintenance.

As for me, once my warranty expires, I have no inclination to scurry like a lemming back to the dealership if I get a CEL or something breaks. I'll just...figure it out without a service manual 🤷‍♂️.

Mike

P.S. Also, my profile pic is "Lady Dimitrescu" from the "Resident Evil Village" video game. Since my R18TC has big cans sticking out either side, and the good lady is...shapely, the name seems to fit nicely :ROFLMAO:
Sorry but FYI the recession is here! Thanks Joe! :ROFLMAO:

Sorry but FYI the recession is here! Thanks Joe! :ROFLMAO:
C'mon man...let's keep this forum about our bikes, okay?

Edit: When I said recession, I wasn't blaming anyone. This has been a well-talked about event for the past year by virtually everyone.

There are people here of all stripes, and the best way to abide is to let politics slide. We share a common goal, and that's BMW and our R18's, period!

Mike

C'mon man...let's keep this forum about our bikes, okay?

Edit: When I said recession, I wasn't blaming anyone. This has been a well-talked about event for the past year by virtually everyone.

There are people here of all stripes, and the best way to abide is to let politics slide. We share a common goal, and that's BMW and our R18's, period!

Mike
Let’s not make anyone who’s responsible uncomfortable.
OK, got it.

Let’s not make anyone who’s responsible uncomfortable.
OK, got it.
I don't believe a website for BMW motorcycle enthusiasts is a proper forum for political discussion. If the site creator/moderator(s) had that in mind, then please correct me.

There are plenty of other places online for this kind of debate. I'm here because I want to talk about my motorcycle and get AWAY from politics! Don't you?

Mike

I don't believe a website for BMW motorcycle enthusiasts is a proper forum for political discussion. If the site creator/moderator(s) had that in mind, then please correct me.

There are plenty of other places online for this kind of debate. I'm here because I want to talk about my motorcycle and get AWAY from politics! Don't you?

Mike
I stand by my comment.

I waited 25 years to buy a BMW for a couple of reasons one of which was the lack of dealers in my area. Seems like the availability of repair information would make the bikes less scary to purchase?

I waited 25 years to buy a BMW for a couple of reasons one of which was the lack of dealers in my area. Seems like the availability of repair information would make the bikes less scary to purchase?
Agreed, I do all my own work (maintenance and modifications). Honestly I may have passed on the R18 if I had known there would be no service manual being offered.
Great bike, dumb marketing decision for a bike that is already a challenge to sell.

I've been able to use the BMW Accessories Installation documentation to fumble my way through DIY work thus far; my break in service was included with the purchase of my B model, as long as the service intervals stay at around $300 - then I can justify going to the dealership. Changing the oil and oil filter seems pretty straight forward, same with the brake pads; however, after the cost of the necessary crush washers and oil disposal, the dealership route looks a little cleaner and convenient. My biggest concern is the level of craftsmanship, quality of work and the care in working on "MY BIKE" vs doing it myself; as long as the dealership service center performs the work with the above mentioned, then they have earned my business.

Link to Installation Manuals:
https://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/en/service/manuals/install-manual.html

I will have to get my bike to the dealer next year (after winter lay up) for its first service. I expect the bill to be in the region of £200 but hopefully not much more. I would prefer to do the routine stuff myself because It’s very satisfying and helps me bond with the machine but I don’t do high miles anymore so a bit of inconvenience once a year isn’t a deal breaker. I did anticipate this before I bought it so I can’t complain really.

I've been able to use the BMW Accessories Installation documentation to fumble my way through DIY work thus far; my break in service was included with the purchase of my B model, as long as the service intervals stay at around $300 - then I can justify going to the dealership. Changing the oil and oil filter seems pretty straight forward, same with the brake pads; however, after the cost of the necessary crush washers and oil disposal, the dealership route looks a little cleaner and convenient. My biggest concern is the level of craftsmanship, quality of work and the care in working on "MY BIKE" vs doing it myself; as long as the dealership service center performs the work with the above mentioned, then they have earned my business.

I've been here before and downloaded every R18 PDF, just in case BMW ever thought customers installing accessories was also cutting into their bottom line ;).

I keep a bookmark folder of useful BMW motorrad links, and this site is one of them.

Mike

I was just quoting $800 for the 6,000 mile service..

Over the years I’ve heard horror stories of service techs who….
1) used torque values that were way off
2) didn’t replace all fasteners
3) never checked low tire pressures
4) under filled or over filled oils…..etc

I think many of us would be willing to pay good money for good craftsmanship and diligent attention to detail.
Scott is spot on in his assessment of bike service.

I think many of us would be willing to pay good money for good craftsmanship and diligent attention to detail.
I too have had horrible service done at my bmw shop, no excuse for this at all....

This...

Is why I do my own work. It also irritates me to tear something apart and not do a "while you're in there" job (e.g. replace the timing belt along with the water pump) that I know paid mechanics don't do because customers don't want to spend the $$$, despite the labor already paid for.

Not ALL mechanics are bad, but a lot are set in their ways and quite cynical.

But...since we're on the topic, the ONE class of engine mechanics that I think are absolute divas are machinists. The ones you take your engine heads and blocks to to get ported, decked, honed, etc. You'd better know EXACTLY what you want, otherwise you'll get the elitist look of snob shame :ROFLMAO:

Judgemental vultouri.jpeg
Engine machinists, looking down on N00bs, not knowing how many thousandths off they want their engine head decked. Such peasantry! :ROFLMAO:

Mike

Back