Is there a BMW shop manual out for our bikes yet? Or, an electronic version?

Keehn

Site Supporter
Elite Member
Hello all!

One of the first things I do when I buy a new motorcycle or vehicle is also buy the corresponding service manual (or actual shop manual if I can get my hands on one). I've worked on bimmers AND beemers over the years so I own a variety of Bentleys and Clymer manuals, as well as a couple copies of INPA (BMW Windows XP vehicle software for coding, etc.,) ISTA and TIS for the bimmers. FYI, these copies are..."grey-market" if you know what I mean ;).

However, on the beemer front, it seems the software scene is pretty much GS-911 or nothing (AFAIK). I've already checked the Clymer website and they don't have any service manuals out for the r18.

Lastly, BMW and other manufacturers, such as John Deere are facing lawsuits over "right to repair", as they deliberately lock down their software (e.g. INPA, ISTA, TIS, etc.,) forcing customers back to dealerships instead of letting customers do their own repairs (like I do). Praise be to whomever for GS-911, but it is no INPA/ISTA in terms of customization or data readouts, which is what I would really be looking for, especially for how technically sophisticated my r18 TC is.

Thank you!

Mike

I have seen several posts on the K1600 Forum from owners who tried to get a recent/current hard copy or digitial shop/maintenance mnual and they said they are no longer available. Not sure about the R18 but it looks like BMW is reluctant to share the in-depth info and take away business from their dealers?!?:unsure:

Last edited:
I have seen several posts on the K1600 Forum from owners who tried to get a recent/current hard copy or digitial shop/maintenance mnual and they said they are no longer available. Looks like BMW is reluctant to share the in-depth info and take away business from their dealers?!?:unsure:
I hope not...

I have seen several posts on the K1600 Forum from owners who tried to get a recent/current hard copy or digitial shop/maintenance mnual and they said they are no longer available. Not sure about the R18 but it looks like BMW is reluctant to share the in-depth info and take away business from their dealers?!?:unsure:
That's the entire reason behind the "right to repair" lawsuit against BMW, et. al. They would rather we never touch our bikes and only rely on their dealerships for all repair and maintenance items.

I respectfully disagree. The minute the warranty expires on my bike, I'm tearing my engine down "just because". I'm rather odd like that :LOL:.

Mike

I guess when my bike goes in for the fluid changes I’m going to see if I can be a fly on the wall and watch the tech work.

That's the entire reason behind the "right to repair" lawsuit against BMW, et. al. They would rather we never touch our bikes and only rely on their dealerships for all repair and maintenance items.

I respectfully disagree. The minute the warranty expires on my bike, I'm tearing my engine down "just because". I'm rather odd like that :LOL:.

Mike
I have been beating that drum since the very first days of this forum…the “make it your own” was (and practically still is) impossible with promised accessories - many still unavailable. And the refusal to provide a shop manual is a deal breaker for me. Never again BMW - unless you change your ways. What arrogance! And don’t criticize the factory too much on here or the loyalists will get on your back and criticize you for criticizing! If you look around in this forum you’ll see much service info that many of us posted early on. Still lovin’ my bike, and still hating BMW for not letting us buy service info! You’d think they’d know American ingenuity will prevail!

Have any of you followed BMW attempting to charge subscriptions to use features installed on their cars, like adaptive cruise and high beams?

I can't find it now but when BMW announced the end of repair manuals, a site in Europe sprung up in order to user to user share scanned in versions of the manuals and BMW threatened to sue them so they stopped the initiative. Nothing is stopping a member from sharing their manual / DVD with another in person even though that's not officially allowed but now BMW is going after people who share their manuals online.

I don't think manuals are coming back unless both EU and USA courts force BMW to do it. The MOA and its members have wanted to share manuals but I just don't think it's worth getting sued over.

Last edited:
I can't find it now but when BMW announced the end of repair manuals, a site in Europe sprung up in order to user to user share scanned in versions of the manuals and BMW threatened to sue them so they stopped the initiative. Nothing is stopping a member from sharing their manual / DVD with another in person even though that's not officially allowed but now BMW is going after people who share their manuals online.

I don't think manuals are coming back unless both EU and USA courts force BMW to do it. The MOA and its members have wanted to share manuals but I just don't think it's worth getting sued over.
If I had one to share I would do so in a heartbeat! Not sell, share.

Once the manual is uploaded to any PDFs aggregator site there isn’t much BMW can do about it.

So, after a search and not finding anything, has someone posted a write up with pictures on doing an oil change? Oil brands, filter brands, torque specs, part numbers for washers, etc?

Once the manual is uploaded to any PDFs aggregator site there isn’t much BMW can do about it.

Correct but that's why they're cancelling availability. You simply cannot buy a 2022 and newer BMW Repair manual from BMW and Dealers if you screen shot them it shows exactly what dealer (long barcode) you got it from. so dealers who share them may also pay the price.

They're cutting off manuals at the source by no longer distributing them. Not just the R18 but all bikes.

I have seen several posts on the K1600 Forum from owners who tried to get a recent/current hard copy or digitial shop/maintenance mnual and they said they are no longer available. Not sure about the R18 but it looks like BMW is reluctant to share the in-depth info and take away business from their dealers?!?
I am not even sure if it's legal to do so. Greed could be good at times and bad at others. This time around it's very bad.
How can BMW release this bike that it's supposed to chop at Harley's profits in the cruiser market, when even their dealerships here in The States are kept in the dark on the bike itself, what is available for it and what is not, etc?

Back