BMW luggage for R18

I used the brackets sold by BMW (here shown with the Nolan's rack).
But now, others are allowing to remove easily the bags.

View attachment 1900

I like theses bags.
They can be bought here:

View attachment 1901
View attachment 1902
Gerard, thank you so much, you are the best, great update...

Hey guys I just thought it would be nice to let you know these brackets that BMW sells are made by the company SW MOTECH so the side carrier will also work with their "Legend Gear bag system" which I have installed on my R18.
I had these bags on a BMW R9T I sold a couple years ago and I decided to keep the bags just in case...
Then I found out it's exactly the same system so I have them on the R18 now and I think it goes great with the vintage style.
These are the bags:

Reactions: Vyk
I used the brackets sold by BMW (here shown with the Nolan's rack).
But now, others are allowing to remove easily the bags.

View attachment 1900

I like theses bags.
They can be bought here:

View attachment 1901
View attachment 1902
Those bags are too close to the exhaust outlets. The bottoms of the bags are going to get toasted on a long ride. Physics@Work. The Coriolis Effect will pull the hot exhaust gas up and roll it along the underside of the bags - nothing one can do about that, except mount them higher (further away from the exhaust tips) or mount smaller bags. That is exactly why the Classic features more regular, longer exhausts taking exhaust gas clear past the bags.

Those bags are too close to the exhaust outlets. The bottoms of the bags are going to get toasted on a long ride. Physics@Work. The Coriolis Effect will pull the hot exhaust gas up and roll it along the underside of the bags - nothing one can do about that, except mount them higher (further away from the exhaust tips) or mount smaller bags. That is exactly why the Classic features more regular, longer exhausts taking exhaust gas clear past the bags.

I had this concern, but so far the bags are in like new condition.
By the way, the Coriolis force tends to make fluid heading to left or right, depending on the hemispher concerned, and not up.
Anyway at the speed the gas exits the effect is negligible.

I had this concern, but so far the bags are in like new condition.
By the way, the Coriolis force tends to make fluid heading to left or right, depending on the hemispher concerned, and not up.
Anyway at the speed the gas exits the effect is negligible.
Aplogies - Coandă Effect, not Coriolis Effect. It will damage your bags on a long trip. It is not the speed of the gas but rather the heat of the gas and its tendency to adhere to an adjacent flat or curved surface.

Corbin is working on new bags to

Hello Fellas,
After my waiting time for all the element, here an update with my updates to the R-18.
View attachment 2010

View attachment 2011View attachment 2014View attachment 2015
View attachment 2016

View attachment 2012View attachment 2016

The bag are from:

Brackets are from BMW shop...:
HOLDER LEFT SIDE AND RIGHT SIDE BAG.

Let me know.
Walter
That really looks great! Funny, I've never been a fan of the fishtail pipes, but with these bags above, it really looks cool!

I own these bags. They are nice but very smallish. There is a pillion seat bag big enough to fit a weekend of stuff for $150! I am too much into the aesthetic of the bike to keep the saddlebags on but the brackets look OK. That being said I dont keep the brackets on either :) If I need to for a tour I can put the brackets, seat and seat bag on in about 15 minutes, its that easy! The spacers are a german thing to minimize vibration :)

R2K, what does janky mean? I am looking for a windshield for my bike in case I need to ride it over 200 miles on the slab only. something that will spend 90 percent of its time on a shelf in my garage. WIll this fit the bill?

I own these bags. They are nice but very smallish. There is a pillion seat bag big enough to fit a weekend of stuff for $150! I am too much into the aesthetic of the bike to keep the saddlebags on but the brackets look OK. That being said I dont keep the brackets on either :) If I need to for a tour I can put the brackets, seat and seat bag on in about 15 minutes, its that easy! The spacers are a german thing to minimize vibration :)

R2K, what does janky mean? I am looking for a windshield for my bike in case I need to ride it over 200 miles on the slab only. something that will spend 90 percent of its time on a shelf in my garage. WIll this fit the bill?
Actually Janky is a term enzo5000 used to describe his windshield but I looked it up please see attached. I will refer your question to enzo5000 to answer about his windshield. I actually put a MRA windshield on my R18, and I still get a lot of wind up from around the tank but it helps a lot, and would be fairly easy to take off and on as you indicated.
59D32031-754B-46DA-8DA6-1BFFBB747BB2.png6FE971F0-85B8-485F-B053-4A2568365A57.jpeg

Attachments

• 8D695DD6-532B-41D3-86E3-1B14E6470D26.png
    8D695DD6-532B-41D3-86E3-1B14E6470D26.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Does anyone own the BMW Windshield Bag show in this link https://parts.maxbmw.com/p/BMW_2021_R18/Bag--windshield/103837473/77492465636.html ? If you do could you please say how it’s mounted and possibly post a picture of it on your bike?
According to the dealer there is a bracket that holds the bag which attaches to the 2 top windshield mounts. I plan to put in an order for one and some other things this weekend. They did confirm the windshield bag is in stock with BMW. I’m traveling next week but I’ll post some pictures when I return and get it installed.

According to the dealer there is a bracket that holds the bag which attaches to the 2 top windshield mounts. I plan to put in an order for one and some other things this weekend. They did confirm the windshield bag is in stock with BMW. I’m traveling next week but I’ll post some pictures when I return and get it installed.
I installed the BMW windshield bag today. You mount a small/thin metal bracket under the two top screws that mount the Classic windscreen. On the bracket are two metal buckles that get inserted into the bag which you twist to keep the bag attached to the windscreen. The package includes a separate bag which looks to be water resistant. It’s fairly easy to remove the bag to take it with you. There is a flap on the back side of the bag with magnets in it that also attach to the bracket which you see if you look at the windscreen from the front of the bike.

To get an idea of what it will hold I can put a hard case for glasses in it. On top of that I should be able to fit two Ridge wallets. It’s not huge but it’s fairly roomy.

I drove around with it without it loaded. I didn’t hear any rattling. What I didn’t like was that the top just barely obscured the top of the speedometer. The instructions say it will hold up to 2 pounds.

Tom68BD2C91-8475-4807-81AE-BBC7A6DAA0A8.jpeg1BFFB5B6-B16E-46F3-A5EC-EDF87C058BEE.jpegC9A3F8DF-74D8-45CB-9507-FD0F599925B5.jpegEDDD01C2-E1CA-4F3C-B6FD-EDF717BBD32E.jpeg35D4E4FB-F3D7-4A3A-A557-6AFC74133E8D.jpeg9701F5C5-B3E5-4BC1-85EF-54D215471FFD.jpeg4AB3D61A-CE95-49CA-AB61-09DAEDDD6864.jpeg

Last edited:
I am using Kriega bags until I am able to source some decent solution(brackets + lockable saddle bags). The problem is shipping cost is almost always as much as the cost of the saddle bags when shipped to Australia.
The Kriega bags can be piled up atop each other and leave behind synthetic loops when bags are removed. Not too bad when considering the aesthetics and easy enough to be stashed away when not required.

Attachments

• ACD81D99-3A65-4794-ACB7-09DA31F73B84.jpeg
    ACD81D99-3A65-4794-ACB7-09DA31F73B84.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 66
  • BDF1CD89-7748-4727-AC19-CB908C1FF9A8.jpeg
    BDF1CD89-7748-4727-AC19-CB908C1FF9A8.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 66
  • B3B877D4-26BB-445B-B6DB-EEEA0718857E.jpeg
    B3B877D4-26BB-445B-B6DB-EEEA0718857E.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 66
I am using Kriega bags until I am able to source some decent solution(brackets + lockable saddle bags). The problem is shipping cost is almost always as much as the cost of the saddle bags when shipped to Australia.
The Kriega bags can be piled up atop each other and leave behind synthetic loops when bags are removed. Not too bad when considering the aesthetics and easy enough to be stashed away when not required.
I used a Kriega bag on my BMW F800ST for years. They work great. Very waterproof. I used to hold my laptop in it and there was never a sign of moisture getting in even through torrential downpours. Awesome space but I never bought a second bag to stack onto the bottom bag. The synthetic loops held up well and didn't scratch my paint. I do worry a bit about the metal hooks but they didn't ding my paint either and they latch on very securely. Sadly I don't have the bag anymore.

Does anyone knows how to clean the R18 FE Saddlebags (OEM)?

Attachments

• 156EF756-717B-4BDF-939A-5BF992A7DE7C.jpeg
    156EF756-717B-4BDF-939A-5BF992A7DE7C.jpeg
    221.5 KB · Views: 15
Back