What did you do to your R18 today?

My unasked for thoughts.....no never tried it..many of the same one at different prices from China are offered on eBay. The BMW heel/toe shifter is one straight even shifter. This one has the heel shifter fitted on the outside of the toe shifter. Seems this one is bulkier causing your heel to protrude out even scaring up your boot, or whole foot if kept straight, will not sit close to the bike. I would like to find an original BMW heel/toe shifter. Anyone have one for sale?

I was under the impression that the BMW version is two independent levers on their own splines, so you can adjust them wherever you want.
RazMan taking a closer look, you are absolutely correct; however, the BMW heel/toe shifter is much more smooth and compact, not bulky like the Chinese copy, the toe and heel shifters are on the same center fulcrum... so as not to protrude interfering with foot placement and with boots. Hard to see, but scroll down. Just my revised thoughts....but you are correct!

The R 18 Transcontinental in Mineral White MetallicThe R 18 Transcontinental with Manhattan metallic matt paintwork.The R 18 Transcontinental in Racing Blue Metallic/Black Storm MetallicThe basic version of the R 18 Transcontinental.
  • The R 18 Transcontinental in Racing Blue Metallic/Black Storm Metallic
  • The R 18 Transcontinental in Mineral White Metallic
  • Black storm metallic.
  • Manhattan metallic matt.

Last edited:
Just found another heel/toe shifter possibility from Amazon ....says it is for R18? Total cost less than $70 delivered???? Delivers in 2 days ! Fits single axis like the BMW, not bulky, but smooth, adjustable...looking at photo. I ordered it and will report back. If it is not as advertised...I can easily return it to Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Dreamseek-Motorcycle-Compatible-Transcontinental-Aluminum/dp/B0CNSNVWHW
Received heel shifter in 1 day instead of 2. Amazing Amazon! Installed in 1 hour (very anal slow). Note my bike is a 2021 F/E . Photos below:

Cons: Aluminum heel shifter not steel like the BMW original toe shifter; Sleeved ferrel in heel shifter instead of milled as BMW original toe shifter. The sleeved ferrel fits only one way inside the heel shifter and shaft, which takes extra time for proper alignment on the shaft so as not to hit fishtail on the upshift; milled more square on length rather than oval of original toe shifter; made in China which I try to avoid.

Pros: Very light weight aluminum with very good chrome finish, almost exact duplicate of original BMW toe shifter (see photo below), matches the rubber toe piece of the original, the screw matches the original T30 as the original, gives impression the craftsman did due diligence matching this heel shifter close to the original toe shifter. I like this heel shifter as it fits on the central axis, not bulky as the other Chinese option, and easily adjustable. My temporary setup below allows the use of only the original toe shifter OR using as a heel/toe shifter (downside may be confusing?). May lower the toe shifter after riding? Holding the empty boot in photo.

Would I recommend? $68 after amazon prime rebate still ain't cheap for Chinese made, however I can't imagine the cost if provided by BMW; I almost decided to return this heel shifter due to sleeved ferrel; if you want a shifter that gives the option of only using toe as original or both toe and heel ....Go for it! you can always remove it, return it or live with the cost.

IMG_7042.jpgIMG_7044.jpgIMG_7046.jpgIMG_7049.jpgIMG_7050.jpgIMG_7051.jpg

Well, today was just one of those days, you know, when the weather is perfect, you have nothing else to do and you are on your favourite stretch of road, with no cars, no one else around to spoil it and you can just soak it in, man, machine, perfecto 👌. This is Lincolnshire, England btw it’s a lovely County. Very lucky to live here.

IMG_1756.jpeg

Back