What Bike Would You Trade Your R18 for?

My Road Glide spoiled me Pork Rind. Smooth at all rpms. The Fatboy 114 has the buzz. When I inquired at the HD forum, the answer I got was: only one counter balancer on the Fatboy.
I’m not a mechanic, but that answered made sense.
My R18 is like the Road Glide. No buzz.

Love my R18 Pure but BMW's service costs would make me go to a Japanese brand, I've considered going to an FJR 1300 but every time I leave the house with my R18, I change my mind. The smile factor of this bike is too big to ignore

Love my R18 Pure but BMW's service costs would make me go to a Japanese brand, I've considered going to an FJR 1300 but every time I leave the house with my R18, I change my mind. The smile factor of this bike is too big to ignore
Is doing your own maintenance not an option? Not being critical at all because...
Full disclosure: I admittedly haven't done my R18 myself... yet, but the time is coming, both due to cost and the dealer being over 100 miles from me.
I've done almost all the maintenance on my R1150 GS over the past 20 years so, for me, it's just hasn't been necessary... and again, yet.
But I love the bike, so will start doing my own maintenance probably at the end of the next riding season (yeah, I now live in the land of 'riding seasons'.)

Is doing your own maintenance not an option? Not being critical at all because...
Full disclosure: I admittedly haven't done my R18 myself... yet, but the time is coming, both due to cost and the dealer being over 100 miles from me.
I've done almost all the maintenance on my R1150 GS over the past 20 years so, for me, it's just hasn't been necessary... and again, yet.
But I love the bike, so will start doing my own maintenance probably at the end of the next riding season (yeah, I now live in the land of 'riding seasons'.)
I’m definitely considering it, didn’t want to pull the plug on getting the tool to reset the service reminders + a jack/lift for the bike yet. Will do it once the next service comes up.

My Road Glide spoiled me Pork Rind. Smooth at all rpms. The Fatboy 114 has the buzz. When I inquired at the HD forum, the answer I got was: only one counter balancer on the Fatboy.
I’m not a mechanic, but that answered made sense.
My R18 is like the Road Glide. No buzz.
More to do with the mounting than counter balancers. Touring bikes are rubber mounted, softails are solid mounted. The driveline is also more isolated on the touring bikes with a rubber cushion in the rear sprocket where it fixes to the wheel vs the solid mounting on a softail wheel. That being said, my Breakout 114 at full throttle is less vibey than the R18 at full throttle.

I also have an R1250RT ('22 model) so not pressed to do anything soon. However, whenever I make a trade I will get either the Indian Pursuit Elite or a K1600B GA. That's it for me.

Back