• Welcome to the BMW R18 Forums. Member registration disables ads and allows you to post and share. Register Here.

What Bike Would You Trade Your R18 for?

• <i class="fa--xf fal fa-check "><svg xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" role="img" aria-hidden="true" ><use href="/data/local/icons/light.svg?v=1721426549#check"></use></svg></i> Discussion starter Discussion starter Calboy
  • Start date Start date
My Road Glide spoiled me Pork Rind. Smooth at all rpms. The Fatboy 114 has the buzz. When I inquired at the HD forum, the answer I got was: only one counter balancer on the Fatboy.
I’m not a mechanic, but that answered made sense.
My R18 is like the Road Glide. No buzz.

Love my R18 Pure but BMW's service costs would make me go to a Japanese brand, I've considered going to an FJR 1300 but every time I leave the house with my R18, I change my mind. The smile factor of this bike is too big to ignore

Love my R18 Pure but BMW's service costs would make me go to a Japanese brand, I've considered going to an FJR 1300 but every time I leave the house with my R18, I change my mind. The smile factor of this bike is too big to ignore
There is something special about the R18

Is doing your own maintenance not an option? Not being critical at all because...
Full disclosure: I admittedly haven't done my R18 myself... yet, but the time is coming, both due to cost and the dealer being over 100 miles from me.
I've done almost all the maintenance on my R1150 GS over the past 20 years so, for me, it's just hasn't been necessary... and again, yet.
But I love the bike, so will start doing my own maintenance probably at the end of the next riding season (yeah, I now live in the land of 'riding seasons'.)

Is doing your own maintenance not an option? Not being critical at all because...
Full disclosure: I admittedly haven't done my R18 myself... yet, but the time is coming, both due to cost and the dealer being over 100 miles from me.
I've done almost all the maintenance on my R1150 GS over the past 20 years so, for me, it's just hasn't been necessary... and again, yet.
But I love the bike, so will start doing my own maintenance probably at the end of the next riding season (yeah, I now live in the land of 'riding seasons'.)
I’m definitely considering it, didn’t want to pull the plug on getting the tool to reset the service reminders + a jack/lift for the bike yet. Will do it once the next service comes up.

My Road Glide spoiled me Pork Rind. Smooth at all rpms. The Fatboy 114 has the buzz. When I inquired at the HD forum, the answer I got was: only one counter balancer on the Fatboy.
More to do with the mounting than counter balancers. Touring bikes are rubber mounted, softails are solid mounted. The driveline is also more isolated on the touring bikes with a rubber cushion in the rear sprocket where it fixes to the wheel vs the solid mounting on a softail wheel. That being said, my Breakout 114 at full throttle is less vibey than the R18 at full throttle.

I also have an R1250RT ('22 model) so not pressed to do anything soon. However, whenever I make a trade I will get either the Indian Pursuit Elite or a K1600B GA. That's it for me.

I traded my R18 Classic FE for Fatboy with stage 4 131ci last week. In my opinion BMW R18 classic is a prettier motorcycle between the two but that stage 4 was just too difficult to pass on. If I were living in a southern state I would have kept both but in Michigan, it's tough to justify keeping two motorcycles.
One other reason was the availability of options to customize & the servicing cost being lesser and a lot of people available to work on the motorcycle.

I'd say if you buy either brand... BMW or HD, you shouldn't get into the label if

A. you can't do your own basic oil change services or
B. You can't afford to take it to the shop to have basic services performed.

Being toys, these are not cheap to service or especially in BMW case, have to buy parts for. Perhaps an extended warranty should be considered and purchased.

I would never use a BMW or HD for daily transportation, unless I was filthy rich.

One other thing I would like to know is if trading in your R18 or simply selling it has ever crossed your mind.
I know it did cross mine, especially in the last month, month and a half.
I would like to pull the trigger sooner rather than later. Not happy with the actual trade in value of my 2021 FE.
All that considered I just spent about $1,500 in accessories in the last two weeks. I must be either confused, stupid, or both!

One other thing I would like to know is if trading in your R18 or simply selling it has ever crossed your mind.
I would like to pull the trigger sooner rather than later. Not happy with the actual trade in value of my 2021 FE.
All that considered I just spent about $1,500 in accessories in the last two weeks. I must be either confused, stupid, or both!

i would trade my r18 for this bad boy....r18 has harley beat hands down with the look and character imo.

Attachments

• 66878ed59d719c4b8d1af469.webp
    66878ed59d719c4b8d1af469.webp
    20.9 KB · Views: 10
Its my first HD, so please shed some light on why you think I will be back. Thanks
A stage IV on a M8 isn't very practical on a street bike. And a Fat Boy with the rear tire being so wide, doesn't corner really well. It's a d*ck dragging contest combo bike you got there, not so much a practical rider, especially with that 131. Try getting the valve covers off that motor in that frame... have fun with it. You should be out in front of Starbucks with it or a bar, with slips from the dyno runs, and 1/4 mile times, and bragging how much $$$ you added into the motor and the bike. Stage IV engines don't last long.

The new 2024 Road Glide ST CVO is appealing... However, there's a LOT that I like about my R18 B..

Last year my son and I rented a HD Street Glide and Road Glide while in San Diego and headed out to Joshua Tree... I wish I had my R18 B on that trip, vs either of the two above mentioned bikes..

It's my first HD and I got the motorcycle from an enthusiast who had only 400 miles with 131, the guy had a couple of other motorcycles with 131 on his road glide as well. Where I live are mostly open roads and not many signals. I don't ride fast but having this much power on open roads is kind of intoxicating. Also, I feel HD is lighter than my classic, especially in corners. I hope the engine lasts long. I usually take care of my toys and do not abuse em.

Reactions: 425
I confess to spending a lot of money on motorcycles over the years, but two bikes are way more fun than one bike. It is just that simple.
The 2024 HD RoadGlides are like a shapely woman. You just appreciate the beauty when you see it.

Last edited:
i would trade my r18 for this bad boy....r18 has harley beat hands down with the look and character imo.
IMG_0423.jpegIMG_1763.jpeg

I had this prior to my R18. It depends upon what you want and need from your bike. Daily rider? Mile muncher? Eye candy? The Honda was very Honda, and by that I mean practical, smooth, slick, easy to ride. However it was a symphony of plastic and didn’t feel as special as I hoped it would. So it went. My R18 on the other hand is very basic, looks timeless, IMHO the build quality is on another level, it feels way more visceral to the touch and to ride, and it’s all metal, yes it needs a lot more TLC to keep nice but that’s ok. No regrets.

Last edited:
Mine's a daily rider. I won't intentionally use it for the commute if it's raining at the start of the day but otherwise, it's the TC every day. It fits in well with my MC. I would consider a H-D again, but not the all black versions as whilst they look very cool, the painted finishes don't seem to hold up as well as the chromed. That being said I hate cleaning bikes...but it's a necessary evil. Now if we could get some of the Jap cruisers here that are sold Stateside I may well be riding one of those, but again they tend to be full dressers and I've only just turned my TC into a B as I'm not that fond of the full dresser look.

Weirdly, the only other bike floating my boat right now is nothing like the R18, other than perhaps being just as quirky. Moto Guzzi V85TT

Attachments

• IMG_0953.jpeg
    IMG_0953.jpeg
    122.9 KB · Views: 3
Back