Transcontinental wind deflectors on Bagger

@Scott Semone - Would you care to or mind creating a thread DIY for this conversion?

1. Part numbers
2. Coding
3. additional steps / issues

I had questions but it'd be great if you had an hour of time to put something together for us.

-----

I had 4 people at a Moto rally this weekend ride my R18 with the 20" Jurock windscreen and all 4 came back with "holy hell, that's a lot of wind" and "teeth chattering" and "head shake" and "blurred vision" they all said they tried to figure out where the air was coming from and all deduced it's coming from under the fairing. I've gotten used to it but when I hop on my GSA I'm blown away by how comfortable it is.

the Bagger I'm learning is a bike still for short trips at non-interstate speeds because I do get blurred vision when riding it but I've just gotten used to it.

I will probably add the winglets and you can add it to the rolling tab of about $2500 I've spent turning my bagger into a TC...sigh.

@Scott Semone - Would you care to or mind creating a thread DIY for this conversion?

1. Part numbers
2. Coding
3. additional steps / issues

I had questions but it'd be great if you had an hour of time to put something together for us.

-----

I had 4 people at a Moto rally this weekend ride my R18 with the 20" Jurock windscreen and all 4 came back with "holy hell, that's a lot of wind" and "teeth chattering" and "head shake" and "blurred vision" they all said they tried to figure out where the air was coming from and all deduced it's coming from under the fairing. I've gotten used to it but when I hop on my GSA I'm blown away by how comfortable it is.

the Bagger I'm learning is a bike still for short trips at non-interstate speeds because I do get blurred vision when riding it but I've just gotten used to it.

I will probably add the winglets and you can add it to the rolling tab of about $2500 I've spent turning my bagger into a TC...sigh.
Will do... I started something...

I added "Memphis Shades" lower wind deflectors to my R18B. I had to modify the brackets to fit my bike as they dont make them for the R18 yet. They took care of about 85% of that lower wind buffeting.

Be careful, I added the winglets that mount to the fairing; however, the leading directional lights interfere with the winglets. So, that got me started with adding the Transcontinental Auxiliary Lights, Bracket and Leading Directional Lights (wiring harness, etc.) all in - $1,200 (But worth it, I love the look and the functionality)

View attachment 6916
Hi Scott,
Is that mean that you one cannot mount the winglets to the fairing at all? Not even on closed position? I understand that the turning lights will interfere with the winglets but I was hoping to be only on the open position.
Thanks in advance!

Hi Scott,
Is that mean that you one cannot mount the winglets to the fairing at all? Not even on closed position? I understand that the turning lights will interfere with the winglets but I was hoping to be only on the open position.
Thanks in advance!
You can mount the TC winglets on a B fairing, where they can be manipulated opened-&-closed prior to starting your ride, but probably not adjustable while riding though; however, they will start to scuff the lens on the directional blinkers from rubbing-vibration.

You can mount the TC winglets on a B fairing, where they can be manipulated opened-&-closed prior to starting your ride, but probably not adjustable while riding though; however, they will start to scuff the lens on the directional blinkers from rubbing-vibration.
Thanks for the info!

I have the TC and, on my initial ride home, the winglets were open. I was experiencing buffeting on my helmet, making me think I need to get a taller windscreen.

However, once I read the owners manual, I realized I could close the winglets (n00b stuff, I know 😜) and my next ride was a night and day difference. No more buffeting on my helmet! Those little winglets made THAT much difference in wind flow over the front of the bike.

Now, I ride with them closed all the time, hot, cold, whatever. I'd rather my horizon view not look like I drank wayyy too much coffee 😂.

Mike

You can purchase the lower leg protection that connects to the engine protection bar, either painted ($$$) or not painted; where, you can have a body shop paint the pieces for less than $200 or so.

See parts numbers below:

View attachment 6915
Picked-Up painted TC Lower Leg Wing Protection pieces from my local body shop ($200); Donny mentioned that the surface of the pieces are excellent for painting, they don't require much follow-up work afterwards (wet sanding & such). BMW paint code ND2 looks great "paint color match-wise", when compared to my 2022 First Edition Black model B paint.

Assembly & Install onto the bike went well (Engine Protection Bar) - straight forward and everything lined up as expected. A couple of adjustments for anyone ordering parts for this type of project; you'll need the following quantities of hardware which isn't that clear when reviewing the diagram:

x14 Body Screw w/ C-Clip nut: 46 63 8 568 781
x14 C-Clip: 46 63 8 532 314
x10 Mounting Clips: 52 53 8 393 655

1671298483035.png

I ride in cold weather. The lower wind deflectors on the TC are well designed in that they are narrow. A couple inches of lateral movement of the knee will have you out in the wind.
For hot Summer riding I would take them off but didn’t want to break a plastic tab.
Will take them off next Summer.
It might be easier and quicker to remove the Engine Protection Bar with the Lower Leg Wind Protection pieces still mounted on the protection bar? Removing the TC Lower Leg Wind Protection is pretty involved.

I was also thinking of seasonal use of the Lower Leg Wind Protection, I just want to get some more riding in and get a better comparison of with and without the TC wind protection in place.

You will like the winglets. I can't explain this but when the winglets are in the closed position, there is no air turbulence around you. Seriously, my R18TC is the first bike I have owned (out of many) where I can ride down the interstate highway without a helmet and not feel wind bluster. I'm not advocating you not wear a helmet, just saying that the TC has the best wind deflection of any bike I have owned.
Every word of that is the truth. The bike is perfectly configured for me... I sometimes don't wear a helmet because I live in a state where they're not required. The wind protection is perfect for me at 5'10" tall.

It might be easier and quicker to remove the Engine Protection Bar with the Lower Leg Wind Protection pieces still mounted on the protection bar? Removing the TC Lower Leg Wind Protection is pretty involved.

I was also thinking of seasonal use of the Lower Leg Wind Protection, I just want to get some more riding in and get a better comparison of with and without the TC wind protection in place.
Hey, you know that is a good idea. I had not thought of removing the bars, but next Spring I might just do that. I like the clean look of the R18 without the wind deflectors hiding the front engine cover anyway.

Hey, you know that is a good idea. I had not thought of removing the bars, but next Spring I might just do that. I like the clean look of the R18 without the wind deflectors hiding the front engine cover anyway.
It's almost like owning two bikes in one.. A couple of us are supposed to sneak out for a quick Holiday ride today; however, I'm not so sure the ride will happen (a high of 43 Degrees & we had our Department Christmas Party last night....) if so, I'm looking forward to feeling the difference wind-wise with the lower leg protection in place.

The bike has that husky look to it now, with the wind protection added..

Be careful, I added the winglets that mount to the fairing; however, the leading directional lights interfere with the winglets. So, that got me started with adding the Transcontinental Auxiliary Lights, Bracket and Leading Directional Lights (wiring harness, etc.) all in - $1,200 (But worth it, I love the look and the functionality)

View attachment 6916
Do those aux lights come on with the headlight?

Do those aux lights come on with the headlight?
They can if I wire them that way; however, I used the Accessory Power Outlet and installed a manual switch in place of the outlet. If I forget to hit the switch, the bike automatically turns off the power after 3 min.

I posted a PDF file which highlights the installation.

Search the following for detailed installation instructions:

TC Auxiliary Light & Wind Fairing Winglet DIY Model-B Installation​

:

Last edited:
They can if I wire them that way; however, I used the Accessory Power Outlet and installed a manual switch in place of the outlet. If I forget to hit the switch, the bike automatically turns off the power after 3 min.

I posted a PDF file which highlights the installation.

Search the following for detailed installation instructions:

TC Auxiliary Light & Wind Fairing Winglet DIY Model-B Installation​

:
Thanks, I’ll check it out.

You can purchase the lower leg protection that connects to the engine protection bar, either painted ($$$) or not painted; where, you can have a body shop paint the pieces for less than $200 or so.

See parts numbers below:

View attachment 6915
Are the part numbers provided in the pic everything I need?

Do I need any mounting hardware? If so could you quantify how many lets say, Isa screws or mounting clips, etc. I would need?

Thanks again for all your help.

Are the part numbers provided in the pic everything I need?

Do I need any mounting hardware? If so could you quantify how many lets say, Isa screws or mounting clips, etc. I would need?

Thanks again for all your help.
Let me see if I can find my invoice and take a picture of it with the hardware quantities; it was close to +$200 just for clips, screws, etc..

To all of you who are upgrading to 1) winglets, 2) lower leg fairing, 3) TC screen or equivalent, you won't be sorry. I ride with literally no wind around me. Don't mean to sound like a broken record, but the R18TC has control on turbulence like no other bike on the road.
With grace, the stock R18B screen doesn't get it done. Only catch for me is....... at 5'8" I do look through the TC screen and some don't like that. On the plus side, there is no image distortion, none.

The amazing thing to me is no updraft behind the TC fairing. I have had every size possible of Memphis Shades screen on prior bikes, and in most cases t-shirts would swirl around my neck. Not sure how BMW did it.

Back