Transcontinental wind deflectors on Bagger

Frank Bullitt

I have the crash bars installed from BMW on my bagger already, but I like the look the lower wind deflectors bring to the bike, they add that chunky look that I really like.

Can you buy these aftermarket and do they fit? I can't really find the correct name for them online but I hope i can install them. Pics attached for reference

Attachments

• BMW-R-18-Transcontinental-9.jpg
    BMW-R-18-Transcontinental-9.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 99
  • BMW-R-18-Transcontinental-P90431023-highRes.jpg
    BMW-R-18-Transcontinental-P90431023-highRes.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 92
I suspect BMW sells them, but like all things Motorrad...I bet they are pricey. I haven't seen anything like them, in the aftermarket.

You will like the winglets. I can't explain this but when the winglets are in the closed position, there is no air turbulence around you. Seriously, my R18TC is the first bike I have owned (out of many) where I can ride down the interstate highway without a helmet and not feel wind bluster. I'm not advocating you not wear a helmet, just saying that the TC has the best wind deflection of any bike I have owned.

You can purchase the lower leg protection that connects to the engine protection bar, either painted ($$$) or not painted; where, you can have a body shop paint the pieces for less than $200 or so.

See parts numbers below:

1662678339557.png

You can purchase the lower leg protection that connects to the engine protection bar, either painted ($$$) or not painted; where, you can have a body shop paint the pieces for less than $200 or so.

See parts numbers below:

View attachment 6915
Be careful, I added the winglets that mount to the fairing; however, the leading directional lights interfere with the winglets. So, that got me started with adding the Transcontinental Auxiliary Lights, Bracket and Leading Directional Lights (wiring harness, etc.) all in - $1,200 (But worth it, I love the look and the functionality)

1662678982533.png

You will like the winglets. I can't explain this but when the winglets are in the closed position, there is no air turbulence around you. Seriously, my R18TC is the first bike I have owned (out of many) where I can ride down the interstate highway without a helmet and not feel wind bluster. I'm not advocating you not wear a helmet, just saying that the TC has the best wind deflection of any bike I have owned.
I have had the same experience with my new TC. I ride occasionally without a helmet (yeah, I know, I know), and the stock windscreen puts the airflow at the very top of my head - just enough where I kind of like it, and there's no buffeting anywhere else

Be careful, I added the winglets that mount to the fairing; however, the leading directional lights interfere with the winglets. So, that got me started with adding the Transcontinental Auxiliary Lights, Bracket and Leading Directional Lights (wiring harness, etc.) all in - $1,200 (But worth it, I love the look and the functionality)

View attachment 6916
Are you referring to the plastic deflectors on the lower part of the fairing? I was referring to parts closer to the engine in the photos above.

I have had the same experience with my new TC. I ride occasionally without a helmet (yeah, I know, I know), and the stock windscreen puts the airflow at the very top of my head - just enough where I kind of like it, and there's no buffeting anywhere else
This sounds like what I want. I have the Jurok screen coming, so I wanted to add the leg shields to complete that for me.

I was thinking about taking the leg shields off of my new Trans. I know on Harleys, they sometimes put speakers into them. But if their only function on the trans is wind deflection, I'm not sure that's a good enough reason to keep them on.

I was thinking about taking the leg shields off of my new Trans. I know on Harleys, they sometimes put speakers into them. But if their only function on the trans is wind deflection, I'm not sure that's a good enough reason to keep them on.
Actually, would it be at all possible for you to send a few snaps of them up close? I am interested in seeing how they are mounted and google images don't really help me.

I thought to myself several times now that BMW should have made them into some sort of small storage cubbies.
It would also would have been nice if they incorporated a couple of fans in them. I don't know if they would be have been effective but perhaps to cool the engine when stationary for a long time. Or direct them towards the rider for extra air in hot conditions.
As you said, speakers could have been an option too.
I just feel that it was a missed opportunity. Those are quite big and bulky after all.

I thought to myself several times now that BMW should have made them into some sort of small storage cubbies.
It would also would have been nice if they incorporated a couple of fans in them. I don't know if they would be have been effective but perhaps to cool the engine when stationary for a long time. Or direct them towards the rider for extra air in hot conditions.
As you said, speakers could have been an option too.
I just feel that it was a missed opportunity. Those are quite big and bulky after all.
Only thing I will say on this, when I tried the HD bikes with these, the storage was crap. Maybe it was just how they implemented them, but if you out something small in them, you would need the arm of a 4 year old to get it back. Speakers would have been cool though, the little fans is a neat idea...a mod for that might actually work.

Are you referring to the plastic deflectors on the lower part of the fairing? I was referring to parts closer to the engine in the photos above.
Yes, in my second post I was referencing the clear plastic Winglets on the fairing; however, I provided the part numbers for what you were looking for in regards to the leg wind protection.

I ride in cold weather. The lower wind deflectors on the TC are well designed in that they are narrow. A couple inches of lateral movement of the knee will have you out in the wind.
For hot Summer riding I would take them off but didn’t want to break a plastic tab.
Will take them off next Summer.

Back