The price for a 600 miles in Las Vegas (euro cycle)

So does anyone know how to reset the service light notification without going back to the dealer? A month after my oil change and recall service for the front LED turn signal stalks, my service light came on. I guess my oil change was done early so the notification did not come on until after the service. My SF dealer will not just reset the notification without doing another oil change which of course is not due for another year. So far I just put duct tape on the check engine symbol in the dash and ignore the service warning until it goes out after a few miles. Help?
Cheapest way is a Bluetooth odblink (https://a.co/d/0qen8CS), an Amazon fire tablet (unless you’re an android guy already),and the Motoscan app. Probably $145 all in at current prices. The GS-911 is $400. Does the same job as far as I understand.

So does anyone know how to reset the service light notification without going back to the dealer? A month after my oil change and recall service for the front LED turn signal stalks, my service light came on. I guess my oil change was done early so the notification did not come on until after the service. My SF dealer will not just reset the notification without doing another oil change which of course is not due for another year. So far I just put duct tape on the check engine symbol in the dash and ignore the service warning until it goes out after a few miles. Help?
If there is no misunderstanding on my part of what you've written, IMO your dealer is a total incompetent as to servicing and fairly proficient at being dishonest and thievery. When conducting service such as your oil change, the dealer tool or those like the gs911 allow resetting date and mileage alerts for when your next service is due. E.G., oil changed at 5500 miles goes to 11,500 miles and whichever date bumps 12 months ahead 01/11/2023 goes to 01/11/2024, so they can and should have simply reset both for another 6,000 miles and/or 12 month interval. Using their logic if you got an oil change at 5500 miles and they didn't properly reset the notifications in 500 miles you would have to go back for another oil change just to have them reset the reminder THEY FAILED TO SO TO BEGIN WITH.

Their position on this is pure Bull Shit. I have had many BMWs and ridden them all over North America and while I do a majority of my own servicing (I use the GS911 tool), I also use a dealer when convenient/prudent. When leaving on a long trip I often do or have a service done early just so I have the maximum range before I need to worry about it while away from home. I or the dealer simply reset the service alert and go ride until the next interval. I once heard of a shop that didn't want to reset a reminder when an owner did a service at home, but didn't have a way to reset the reminder. The justification was BMW required them to do the servicing or be held responsible for warranty purposes if they reset the reminder for another's work. Very weak shit and I never verified that as actually being BMW's official requirements as I've never had that happen to me.

Anyway, this R platform is fun and easy to work on so gather some basic hand tools and a gs911 or similar and then keep receipts for the oil, filters, etc., and date-mileage when you took care of her servicing, there's many helpful posts on the forum and ewe-tubes to give guidance. I would run this by the shop to management if prudent one more time to see if they'll simply and graciously do what they should have done and I'd also think seriously about other available shops in your area as I wouldn't trust them to stand behind their work if how they handled this simplest task represents their attitude and business model.

🍻

I've haven't heard of the 600 mile service requirement in the forum; I did however, have my 600 mile breakin service performed by the BMW shop where I bought my 2022 R18 B. My 600 mile breakin service was free, I had negotiated the service, battery trickle charger and two BMW R18 T-shirts as part of my deal; the sales person told me the service was worth $500+ in value. (Not $800)

Maybe service prices doubled, like BMW OEM parts did recently?
I'm pretty sure if you don't follow the required service intervals, BMW will not honor a warranty repair. Especially the first service....
My 600 mile service is coming up, I'm at about 500 miles, I also have it included in the deal when I bought it.
After that, I'm gonna explore if BMW will honor a cert. tech that is not at a dealer but an independent. The dealer is too far, and I'm not going to be using BMW filters and fluids. I"ll swap to a K&N filter and Redline fluids.

I'm pretty sure if you don't follow the required service intervals, BMW will not honor a warranty repair. Especially the first service....
My 600 mile service is coming up, I'm at about 500 miles, I also have it included in the deal when I bought it.
After that, I'm gonna explore if BMW will honor a cert. tech that is not at a dealer but an independent. The dealer is too far, and I'm not going to be using BMW filters and fluids. I"ll swap to a K&N filter and Redline fluids.
Tech at my selling dealer told me to keep receipts and document mileage when i do my own service jobs. He assured me that would keep everything in order if a warranty claim ever comes up. Can’t imagine BMW or any manufacturer can outright deny a claim if the maintenance work wasn’t done on their floor. They could TRY I guess. From what I understand, there’s some consumer protection here where the manufacturer would have to prove that previous work directly caused the issue under warranty.

Tech at my selling dealer told me to keep receipts and document mileage when i do my own service jobs. He assured me that would keep everything in order if a warranty claim ever comes up. Can’t imagine BMW or any manufacturer can outright deny a claim if the maintenance work wasn’t done on their floor. They could TRY I guess. From what I understand, there’s some consumer protection here where the manufacturer would have to prove that previous work directly caused the issue under warranty.

I agree... My 2008 GS Adventure had close to 100k miles on it when I sold it (96,862) in order to purchase my R18 B; my GSA was only in the BMW service center a handful of times (new tires, high speed balancing, bleeding brake fluid, warranty type stuff) where the majority of its maintenance was in my garage or driveway. Granted... there was an available service manual (hint-hint BMW Motorrad Mothership)...

FYI - I hate dealing with brake fluid, highly corrosive, etc... it's something I'll work through and get over; for now, I typically have the dealership swap the fluid and reset my maintenance light within the same visit. I do everything else.

Service Shops are no different, they are going to try and sell you on service; they might even hint towards warranty scare tactics...

I agree... My 2008 GS Adventure had close to 100k miles on it when I sold it (96,862) in order to purchase my R18 B; my GSA was only in the BMW service center a handful of times (new tires, high speed balancing, bleeding brake fluid, warranty type stuff) where the majority of its maintenance was in my garage or driveway. Granted... there was an available service manual (hint-hint BMW Motorrad Mothership)...

FYI - I hate dealing with brake fluid, highly corrosive, etc... it's something I'll work through and get over; for now, I typically have the dealership swap the fluid and reset my maintenance light within the same visit. I do everything else.

Service Shops are no different, they are going to try and sell you on service; they might even hint towards warranty scare tactics...
Once I got a bleeder pump, I found brakes to be shockingly easy. Just need a lot of shop rags around. I'm a guy whose only experience is just getting dirty with my Bonneville and then the Sportster (admittedly, two of the easier engines to work on in the bike world - also incredible resources available, both from the mfg and the riding world), but there's not been a job yet where I haven't decided to give it a go and save the shop fees. I will say, TIRES can fuck right off. I did one set and that was enough to learn the value of letting someone else do it. Although, if I'd have been super smart, I'd have gotten a tire machine a few years ago and would have saved three or four times over between me and my buddies swapping rubber on multiple bikes.

This is NOT a statement on EuroCycle but rather something else...

I am 65 years old and I ride bikes since I was 17. That makes me a rider since 48 years. And in those 48 years I owned over 30 bikes from manufacturers like BMW, Honda, Yamaha & Kawasaki... Mostly BMW though...

And in that 48 years I have made one colossal mistake that I can express in one phrase: R1800 Transcontinental.

Enough said!

This is NOT a statement on EuroCycle but rather something else...

I am 65 years old and I ride bikes since I was 17. That makes me a rider since 48 years. And in those 48 years I owned over 30 bikes from manufacturers like BMW, Honda, Yamaha & Kawasaki... Mostly BMW though...

And in that 48 years I have made one colossal mistake that I can express in one phrase: R1800 Transcontinental.

Enough said!
Oof! Sorry to hear it’s been a bad experience. Given I’ve only logged ~600 miles on my B since getting it just before the season closed, I’ve been pleased. I hope the gremlins stay away and the bike keeps up with my expectations.

Oof! Sorry to hear it’s been a bad experience. Given I’ve only logged ~600 miles on my B since getting it just before the season closed, I’ve been pleased. I hope the gremlins stay away and the bike keeps up with my expectations.
Bike is as good as and problem free as BMW intended. But "me" purchasing it was the biggest mistake. I normally ride about 10,000 miles a year on all my bikes. I bought this one on June 2023 as brand new from the dealership and after 350miles riding to home since then only put 2100 miles on it and sitting in the garage. That tells you how much I like(!) this bike. I can't sell it too. Dealerships offering the same bike at 0 miles for $17,000-$18000 range while I owe on it $21,500... If anybody offers me $18,000 they can have it today the darn thing.

B models may have a better following since their prices were milder too but this behemoth has no following, no second hand market value, not agile, not enough power, nothing... Especially when I compared my last GSA1250 or R1250RT before that one...
This feels like the BMW's biggest marketing mistake same as the New Coke screwed up and decided to return to Classic Coke...
No idea why they felt to mess up the perfectly good market for their lineup with this crap... No wonder they are trying to give them away with unbelievable incentives...
No pay for the first 90 days then BMW pays your first4 months...
Try to get any other BMW model with that kind of incentive... See if it's possible... They don't even offer the same incentives on used biker pants with BMW logo on them...
Oh well, I guess in 48 years of riding I am entitled to have one accident and it happened in the form of me purchasing this @#$%& !
;)

I was able to sneak a Winter season ride in this past Sunday in the NJ/NY area (64° F); I still really enjoy my R18 B, valve adjustment that I did towards the end of the riding season sounded smooth and the bike is a blast to ride...

Across the pond its the same my friends , dealerships will always be full wack prices , personally i use an independent workshop its cheaper , more friendly and it does not effect your warranty , i might even try to do my next oil change myself !!!!! .

Back