Engine/crash bars

DG6n26

Site Supporter
Has anyone bought the Ebay engine guards? Good, bad, quality, fit, finish.
Any feedback appreciated.
I like the shape and curves much better than the BMW ones.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 56
Im surprised the engine guards dont come with the bike given the engine that is installed. I mean, at a stop if you drop the bike on it's side and it hits a piston head are you screwed? How about if you low side the bike at 25 mph? How much abuse can a piston take before you cant ride and the mechanic wants three thousand dollars to fix it?

Feels like the engine guard is a must-have with this engine but that's just me. I would be pleasantly surprised to find out if the piston housing was reinforced and can handle a good amount of force of impact on a drop. Now to find someone willing to test this... :)

Im surprised the engine guards dont come with the bike given the engine that is installed. I mean, at a stop if you drop the bike on it's side and it hits a piston head are you screwed? How about if you low side the bike at 25 mph? How much abuse can a piston take before you cant ride and the mechanic wants three thousand dollars to fix it?

Feels like the engine guard is a must-have with this engine but that's just me. I would be pleasantly surprised to find out if the piston housing was reinforced and can handle a good amount of force of impact on a drop. Now to find someone willing to test this...
Considering BMW has used the Boxer engine in the GS line for 40 years and you are more likely to crash off road, it’s not been a major issue. If anything the bike has less distance to fall, so the damage would be reduced. It certainly makes it easier to pick up.

Any crash with enough force to damage the cylinders themselves beyond just scratches likely would cause far greater problems like a bent frame or collapsed front fork.

Last edited:
Considering BMW has used the Boxer engine in the GS line for 40 years and you are more likely to crash off road, it’s not been a major issue. If anything the bike has less distance to fall, so the damage would be reduced. It certainly makes it easier to pick up.

Any crash with enough force to damage the cylinders themselves beyond just scratches likely would cause far greater problems like a bent frame or collapsed front fork.
Agreed. There's a thread here someplace that deviated into inadvertent dropping onto a cylinder at very low speeds. At best, there was no damage. At worst, a scuff. The covers are robust.

I got one from eBay, 38mm. They fit perfect, yes they are Chinese knock offs. Barely 200miles and one washing, chrome looking good….I’m happy, for little over 100$. DK is just too expensive for me right now.
I also picked up handlebar extenders from same guy, now that is a miss. Handlebars doesn’t sit in it properly, they working but there is a gap you can see through. Once I have 500$ I’ll order DK, hopefully they fit like a glove.

Thanks for the feedback. I just ordered a set through Amazon. A little over $250 but easily returned if I don't like it.
I also priced the crash bars from DK, almost $800 with shipping..

They're Chinese knock-offs of DK Design bars.

Bad news for DK design crash bars. Had yesterday an accident due to the breakage of the steel piece connecting the crash bar with the frame. The left crash bar side fell off and stucked at the fender and blocked my steering. All of a sudden I could not control my bike anymore in a circle,while trying to turn and crashed. Lucky I drove slowly and didn't damage the bike too much. I hurt my knee, but otherwise I am ok. Cleary a fault of material and design (Bad welding, steel part to mount the bar too small) See pics attached. I had this crash bar for 12 months, so the warranty of 6 months from DK design does not apply. I will now look for either Wunderlich, BMW stock or Roadstyler.com. A pity I liked to look of DK design (much bigger pipes), but they are not safe!

Attachments

• PXL_20220602_161713647.jpg
    PXL_20220602_161713647.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 125
  • PXL_20220603_070751527.jpg
    PXL_20220603_070751527.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 125
  • PXL_20220603_070759640.jpg
    PXL_20220603_070759640.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 124
They're Chinese knock-offs of DK Design bars.

In my opinion the DK's in black look great on a black bike. They look as if they are supposed to be there as opposed to an add on.

Bad news for DK design crash bars. Had yesterday an accident due to the breakage of the steel piece connecting the crash bar with the frame. The left crash bar side fell off and stucked at the fender and blocked my steering. All of a sudden I could not control my bike anymore in a circle,while trying to turn and crashed. Lucky I drove slowly and didn't damage the bike too much. I hurt my knee, but otherwise I am ok. Cleary a fault of material and design (Bad welding, steel part to mount the bar too small) See pics attached. I had this crash bar for 12 months, so the warranty of 6 months from DK design does not apply. I will now look for either Wunderlich, BMW stock or Roadstyler.com. A pity I liked to look of DK design (much bigger pipes), but they are not safe!
Ouch, that is a lousy thing to have happen. Glad to hear you are OK and thank you for sharing the news and cause of your mishap. Heal quickly and have a safe season.

Gentlemen, it only makes sense to have protection bars on a boxer engine. I have dropped a bike 3 times in the last 20 years. The first time I forgot the kick stand (easy to do one time).
The BMW bars are only $259 I think. Totally worth it.

Back