Engine/crash bars

Are you happy with the bars?
Yes I’m happy with them. I replaced the bolts that came with it with BMW Torx heads when I installed them after I had put the bike away for the winter last fall. If you see this thread it will give you some detailed information on my experience with installing them:

https://www.r18forums.com/threads/hornig-engine-crash-bars.532/page-2

I’ve only been out on a handful of rides this year (work has been far too busy). So far so good. They seem very solid and I really like the look. The bike still seems well balanced. I haven’t experience any changes to handling with them mounted. If you have any specific questions let me know.

Tom

Yes I’m happy with them. I replaced the bolts that came with it with BMW Torx heads when I installed them after I had put the bike away for the winter last fall. If you see this thread it will give you some detailed information on my experience with installing them:

https://www.r18forums.com/threads/hornig-engine-crash-bars.532/page-2

I’ve only been out on a handful of rides this year (work has been far too busy). So far so good. They seem very solid and I really like the look. The bike still seems well balanced. I haven’t experience any changes to handling with them mounted. If you have any specific questions let me know.

Tom
Thank you Tom. They look great. One question. Are they powder coated or painted?

Thank you Tom. They look great. One question. Are they powder coated or painted?
When I asked them this is what Hornig told me:

“These bars are not sprayed with paint, they are powder-coated (with plastic instead of paint) which creates a much sturdier surface than ordinary paint. It is also more resistant to environmental factors like dust, water and dirt.”

They have held up well for me. I haven’t noticed any dings or scratches. I haven’t dropped the bike to try it out and hopefully I won’t.

I did use some touch up paint I ordered in the stock Black Storm Metallic color on a few small areas where they were hung for finishing. I mentioned this in my posting.

Tom

When I asked them this is what Hornig told me:

“These bars are not sprayed with paint, they are powder-coated (with plastic instead of paint) which creates a much sturdier surface than ordinary paint. It is also more resistant to environmental factors like dust, water and dirt.”

They have held up well for me. I haven’t noticed any dings or scratches. I haven’t dropped the bike to try it out and hopefully I won’t.

I did use some touch up paint I ordered in the stock Black Storm Metallic color on a few small areas where they were hung for finishing. I mentioned this in my posting.

Tom
Thanks again. The design and the price make these the winner.

The wunderlich bag protection bars are stunningly good looking.

I bought the ones from roadstyler.com, a Polish company. Took 5-6 weeks to get them, but the fit and finish were nice, and easy install.
I bought exhaust pipes for my R1200C from a Polish company years ago. The translation issues back then took some work to figure out. Was your transaction with the European company easy to complete?

Got the Wunderlich bars in Black form one of their dealers in France via Ebay, the cost out the door $450 and they took a month to arrive.
They look perfect on the bike! Same shade of black but the finish is slightly different ... My only dislike is how easy the black scratches.

I've talked with someone from Helibars and they are about to release rear bars for the B and TC that will integrate passenger grab handles. My wife is still waiting on passenger armrest, Wunderlich is in the process of making those, they just came out with armrest for the RT1250.

I've talked with someone from Helibars and they are about to release rear bars for the B and TC that will integrate passenger grab handles. My wife is still waiting on passenger armrest, Wunderlich is in the process of making those, they just came out with armrest for the RT1250.
I sent an email to Wunderlich yesterday asking for a time estimate when they might have those expensive rear bars ready for purchase (out of stock) from their website. Looks like there are some options right around the corner.

Received my OEM Engine Protection Bars from A & S Motorcycles Roseville, CA. Ordered 31 May 2021 received them 10 June 2022, only a year and 10 days for delivery. Seem heavy duty, and install was easy after I obtained the needed bolts from Wooly's BMW here in Marietta, GA. I am happy with the look as well.

Attachments

• Crash Bars.jpg
    Crash Bars.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 77
I bought exhaust pipes for my R1200C from a Polish company years ago. The translation issues back then took some work to figure out. Was your transaction with the European company easy to complete?
The only hiccup was that the item I ordered turned out NOT to be in stock immediately, so there was a 4 week delay in getting it. Other than that, very smooth

I bought the ones from roadstyler.com, a Polish company. Took 5-6 weeks to get them, but the fit and finish were nice, and easy install.
Have you had a chance to install them? Wondering what I don't get for $147USD. Sturdy? I am tempted to get the roadstyler, but the difference in price from other brands makes me wonder if the quality is less than ideal.

I would go right back to that company and demand a full refund due since the crash bar caused the crash. I got the chrome bmw engine guards. Like the look though too got the BMW Leg Rest so thinking you need to bmw crash bars if you then or later want to add the Leg Rest. I am not worried about the bmw bars breaking as was the case for other poster. Sorry that happened bummer.

For certain, no awards for ’good looks’ having the Leg Rest on the bike though they do work and you can rest your legs on them without issue which in someways might be easier than using highway pegs depending on how they were designed and set up to hold your feet in place. Though NO, not a super quick leg change from using them to foot pegs for gear/brake levers so care should be taken on deciding when to use them due to time delay I would infer.

Have you had a chance to install them? Wondering what I don't get for $147USD. Sturdy? I am tempted to get the roadstyler, but the difference in price from other brands makes me wonder if the quality is less than ideal.
I did install them. I thought the quality was very nice. I sold the bike a month ago, and never dropped it while I had it so I can’t speak to their performance in a drop

ROASDSTYLER makes surprisingly high quality bars. I have both fronat and back crashbars and their saddle bag mounts for myleatherbbags. Every order took about 10ndays toget to me. I check their site every week hoping they make more R18 accessories. Never disappointed yet. I don't understand how they make the quality they do at theie price points, but, they do.

I did install them. I thought the quality was very nice. I sold the bike a month ago, and never dropped it while I had it so I can’t speak to their performance in a drop
Thank you. The pricing difference is so large I figure there must be some trade off in quality. Good to know and glad you didn't drop it!

Back