Corbin Saddles for the R-18...

I just replaced the stock one with a Corbin as well. some word of advice;

1- I think the seat is really well made, the leather is great and the options for customization are endless
2- if you're considering the heating option... Don't. it doesn't look great, it's plasticky and the wires are flimsy to say the least.
3- I don't know if it's user error, but the backrest wiggles and doesn't just sit. more importantly, you have to take out the whole seat, unscrew everything to be able to take it out. So if you really want it you're likely to keep it on
4- get used to the smell of GLUE for a while. they must have used 2 gallons to make the seat

In general, I do not regret exchanging the stock seat as this one feels much better and actually gives me a much more comfortable riding position. So I'd still recommend it

I just replaced the stock one with a Corbin as well. some word of advice;

1- I think the seat is really well made, the leather is great and the options for customization are endless
2- if you're considering the heating option... Don't. it doesn't look great, it's plasticky and the wires are flimsy to say the least.
3- I don't know if it's user error, but the backrest wiggles and doesn't just sit. more importantly, you have to take out the whole seat, unscrew everything to be able to take it out. So if you really want it you're likely to keep it on
4- get used to the smell of GLUE for a while. they must have used 2 gallons to make the seat

In general, I do not regret exchanging the stock seat as this one feels much better and actually gives me a much more comfortable riding position. So I'd still recommend it

Attachments

• tempImageH7QtOT.png
    tempImageH7QtOT.png
    14.3 MB · Views: 66
My experience with several Corbin seats over the years is good; in spite of their poor customer service and unresponsivness. They actually make great product that settles in well and lasts and lasts. The backrest bolt will need to be re-tightened 3 or 4 times before the backrest snugly settles in as well. They still piss me off tho’ just thinking about them hehehe.

It depends on the model.
On mine the backrest can be taken off without taking out the saddle.
The screw is just upon the saddle's one.
I just love this seat, just pefect.

20210515_134804.jpg

20210616_084507.jpg

Last edited:
Love Corbin Saddles. The set for my R18 makes the 6th seat I've bought from them. There customer service is not the best based on my experience with a seat on my Fatboy that did not fit without several shims I had to add. That was their solution. But the seat I ordered for my R18 which is pretty much like the ones above except I asked for white stitching, came in ALL black. Solid Black. I called them and told them it wasn't what I had ordered. They said it could take them a couple days to process the return and to go ahead and use and enjoy the seat in the mean time. Well they actually got back to me later that day. Sent an shipping label to return the seat. They also said they'd expedite my original/correct order and apologized profusely. So they were pretty responsive this time. We'll see how long it takes to get my correct seat

I have owned Corbin, Saddlemen, Mustang and LePera. I have found Mustang to be the best balance from all perspectives - cost, comfort, quality and longevity. I recently bought an RSD seat for the R18 - not sure who actually manufactures it. So we will see how that fares once I receive it and get some miles on it.

I have owned Corbin, Saddlemen, Mustang and LePera. I have found Mustang to be the best balance from all perspectives - cost, comfort, quality and longevity. I recently bought an RSD seat for the R18 - not sure who actually manufactures it. So we will see how that fares once I receive it and get some miles on it.
Where have you bought the RSD seat as on their website there is no R18 seat?

I’m weighing the benefits of getting the Mustang Weekender seat or one of the Corbin seats (the Dual Touring Saddle or the Classic Solo & Pillion). I usually don’t ride longer than 200 miles in a hour stretch. Also I usually don’t have a passenger but I like the look of the pillion and would like to keep the option of passenger accommodations. I most likely wouldn’t order a back rest.

My question for Corbin owners is that I see the back center of the seat has a dip to take weight off of your tailbone. I want to know if that design causes the back of the seat to press against your lower back when compared to a seat without the dip? I’m also interested in a seat that’s higher than the stock seat.

I have an old back injury. When I’m in a car I can’t stand having anything pushing against my lower left back. Usually when I’m in a car that has adjustable lumbar support that you inflate, I turn it down all of the way so the seat presses against my lower back as little as possible. Because of my injury I find if I’m sitting too low I’m uncomfortable so I raise the seat height in the car as high as it can go. So when I look at something like the Gunfighter seat I think that might be uncomfortable for me (though it looks cool). So the two things are avoiding lower back pressure and raising the seat higher than stock. Any feedback is appreciated.

I’m weighing the benefits of getting the Mustang Weekender seat or one of the Corbin seats (the Dual Touring Saddle or the Classic Solo & Pillion). I usually don’t ride longer than 200 miles in a hour stretch. Also I usually don’t have a passenger but I like the look of the pillion and would like to keep the option of passenger accommodations. I most likely wouldn’t order a back rest.

My question for Corbin owners is that I see the back center of the seat has a dip to take weight off of your tailbone. I want to know if that design causes the back of the seat to press against your lower back when compared to a seat without the dip? I’m also interested in a seat that’s higher than the stock seat.

I have an old back injury. When I’m in a car I can’t stand having anything pushing against my lower left back. Usually when I’m in a car that has adjustable lumbar support that you inflate, I turn it down all of the way so the seat presses against my lower back as little as possible. Because of my injury I find if I’m sitting too low I’m uncomfortable so I raise the seat height in the car as high as it can go. So when I look at something like the Gunfighter seat I think that might be uncomfortable for me (though it looks cool). So the two things are avoiding lower back pressure and raising the seat higher than stock. Any feedback is appreciated.
This is a tough one to answer. I have the Corbin seat and really like it. I have arthritis in my lower back. I think alot of this will depend on how tall you are. I'm 5'9" with a 31" inseam and I'm fine. Because the the back of the seat isn't a "wall" but curved on it's way up, I don't notice any pressure on my lower back. If anything I tend to fell the back of the seat with my tailbone first. But again I think this is all going to depend on you height as I'd imagine if you're taller it might push you further back into the seat. I wonder if you could test the seat first. They may have a unit for test as they sent me the wrong color combination and returned it. But shipping pretty expensive....

This is a tough one to answer. I have the Corbin seat and really like it. I have arthritis in my lower back. I think alot of this will depend on how tall you are. I'm 5'9" with a 31" inseam and I'm fine. Because the the back of the seat isn't a "wall" but curved on it's way up, I don't notice any pressure on my lower back. If anything I tend to fell the back of the seat with my tailbone first. But again I think this is all going to depend on you height as I'd imagine if you're taller it might push you further back into the seat. I wonder if you could test the seat first. They may have a unit for test as they sent me the wrong color combination and returned it. But shipping pretty expensive....
Thanks! We are close in height. I’m 5’ 9.5” and my inseam is 31.5”. I noticed they have an online chat so I’ll give them a try. The test unit is a good idea.

Tom

I spoke to a sales person at Corbin in Florida. I found out that within one year of purchase they give you a free adjustment (you pay shipping too and from Corbin in California) to the seat as long as they can reuse the cover. So if you need extra padding or other modifications to padding they’ll do it.

Not to cheap out but I think I’m going to see what the return policy is from the local BMW dealer for the Weekender seat. I might try it if I can return it if I don’t like it. If that happens I’d spend the extra $ on the Corbin.

R18Art. Sorry I forgot to ask, which Corbin seat do you own?
I'll have to double check. But it's like the ones pictured above. Yeah shipping is like 50ish bucks one way and they don't offer free shipping even if you buy one. I have own/owned several of their saddles. They are my "go to" when I need a saddle. Once they break-in, they are all day comfortable. BUT I will say if you have issues, they can be a PITA to deal with. Now the wrong item exchange was easy to do, but on my 2019 Fatboy, I had a fitment issue with the front not latching easily. They were slow to respond and didn't really offer a solution or return. I wound up fixing it myself with some shims. So while their seats are great, customer assistance when it came to adjustments was not great.....

Hello! I can't speak for the Gunfighter seat (from any manufacturer). But I can speak for the excellent quality and comfort of Corbin Seats. I have had several and currently have one on 3 of the 4 bikes listed in my sig. I have the solo and pillion on my R18 and it places no pressure on my lower back. It also accomplished what I was after in position. When I ordered, in the comments section I stated what I was after, and they delivered what I asked for. It moved me about 1-1/2" back and about 1-1/2" up. It made the ride perfect and the foot controls much more bearable.

I have the Dual touring from Corbin.
I think it's 2' higher than the FE stock seat.
Now I'm very confortable on it ( I'm 6')
I don't feel any pressure on my back.
The comfort is uncomparable with the stock one, for the passenger too.

Back