BMW R18 Homage seat install

The first pic are the seats that came on my bike. You could leave the rear seat on the bike when using the homage solo. IMO it would look strange. In Pic 2, I laid the rear seat on the fender so you could see what it would look like.

The first pic are the seats that came on my bike. You could leave the rear seat on the bike when using the homage solo. IMO it would look strange. In Pic 2, I laid the rear seat on the fender so you could see what it would look like.
I find it difficult to get a bit more bobber look and still take the misses with me from time to time ;-)

Fwiw.... I'd use these for the rear torx bolts.... with a C spanner that fits their shaft.... or a small flatish ratchet ring spanner....

SCA_SPO1061524_hi-res.jpg

Last edited:
My Homage seat arrived today......

20230519_120709.jpg

The 1/4 spanner with torx bit worked well on the 2 rear seat bolts.....

Attachments

• 20230519_120806.jpg
    20230519_120806.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 21
Last edited:
I added four 15mm spacers to the Homage seat today... so 60mm height increase now... was 690 now 750mm.... I decided on 15 thinking that it would still look "normal".... and am happy with the result. Will post some photos in a while. Seating position is now acceptable for me.

I added four 15mm spacers to the Homage seat today... so 60mm height increase now... was 690 now 750mm.... I decided on 15 thinking that it would still look "normal".... and am happy with the result. Will post some photos in a while. Seating position is now acceptable for me.
Looking forward to the pictures

Yeah, pics and what spacers? I'm in a similar boat and wanted to bring up the seat height. The weekender seat is quite nice for touring but I get more discomfort from hip and knee angle over the long ride.

Weather here is poor.... so I was going to go for a decent ride once weather is nicer (ie no rain) and take nice photos and give a riding impression.... anyway poor shed photos it is.....

Anyway... I made 4 off 15mm spacers out of threaded bar hex "joiners" that you get at a hardware store....the joiners are about 28mm long..... I place them on a bolt... spin them and apply a hand angle ginder to cut down to about the bolt thread... you sorta get squarish ends. I only have basic hand tools, files, grinder, welder.... you can get these hex things in different sizes... front 2 are smaller diameter of
course. At this stage I fitted then unpainted..... you could spin them on the drill against a bench grinding wheel/file/emery paper to round them if one desired... then they would have to be painted of course... maybe even some black electrical heat shrink.... you can see I'm slack.
20230521_113644.jpg20230521_113751.jpg

AND .... poor quality other photos

20230521_113629.jpg20230521_113710.jpg20230521_113554.jpg20230521_113623.jpg20230521_113618.jpg

General comment..... in real life one does not notice the risers nor is the "15mm" gap noticable.... (I thought I would need to fabricate something to make this area look ok.... but now don't).... a slack person would not bother taking it apart and painting the risers. For me... at 5'11" I'm not feeling the hip issue or the issue lifting my feet to the boards that I did.... I notice my knees are now below my hips.... there's something to that I think.... and for what it is worth... whilst 62yo.... I excercise, do deep squats etc.... but struggleg with the 690mm seat height in relation to the floor boards... 750mm seems to have got it to a "ok" state.

I actually think it looks better with the homage at this height with the stock gard.... more R35 then bobber.

Also... one obviously needs longer bolts.... I had the rears in the original style (off my scrambler) and just bought a couple for the front (hardened allen head ones from local hardware.... you dont see these)

I will post some better "over all look" photos when I ride it.... probally tomorrow.

Also.... given the frame angle.... for a given length rise you come up about 2/3 and back 1/3 would be my guess... the hip joint to foot gets opened up by the full ammount.... sorta right angle triangle stuff I guess.

And... if I needed to go a bit higher.... say 25mm.... then I'd consider leaving it as 15mm and place a second 10mm spacer between the seat base and the brackets that screw to it.....

Last edited:
Weather here is poor.... so I was going to go for a decent ride once weather is nicer (ie no rain) and take nice photos and give a riding impression.... anyway poor shed photos it is.....

Anyway... I made 4 off 15mm spacers out of threaded bar hex "joiners" that you get at a hardware store....the joiners are about 28mm long..... I place them on a bolt... spin them and apply a hand angle ginder to cut down to about the bolt thread... you sorta get squarish ends. I only have basic hand tools, files, grinder, welder.... you can get these hex things in different sizes... front 2 are smaller diameter of
course. At this stage I fitted then unpainted..... you could spin them on the drill against a bench grinding wheel/file/emery paper to round them if one desired... then they would have to be painted of course... maybe even some black electrical heat shrink.... you can see I'm slack.
View attachment 10054View attachment 10055

AND .... poor quality other photos

View attachment 10056View attachment 10057View attachment 10058View attachment 10059View attachment 10060

General comment..... in real life one does not notice the risers nor is the "15mm" gap noticable.... (I thought I would need to fabricate something to make this area look ok.... but now don't).... a slack person would not bother taking it apart and painting the risers. For me... at 5'11" I'm not feeling the hip issue or the issue lifting my feet to the boards that I did.... I notice my knees are now below my hips.... there's something to that I think.... and for what it is worth... whilst 62yo.... I excercise, do deep squats etc.... but struggleg with the 690mm seat height in relation to the floor boards... 750mm seems to have got it to a "ok" state.

I actually think it looks better with the homage at this height with the stock gard.... more R35 then bobber.

Also... one obviously needs longer bolts.... I had the rears in the original style (off my scrambler) and just bought a couple for the front (hardened allen head ones from local hardware.... you dont see these)

I will post some better "over all look" photos when I ride it.... probally tomorrow.

Also.... given the frame angle.... for a given length rise you come up about 2/3 and back 1/3 would be my guess... the hip joint to foot gets opened up by the full ammount.... sorta right angle triangle stuff I guess.

And... if I needed to go a bit higher.... say 25mm.... then I'd consider leaving it as 15mm and place a second 10mm spacer between the seat base and the brackets that screw to it.....
Thank you very much, you exceeded my expectations with the information. You’re right I dont think it’s noticeable unless you know what your looking for.

Hi all, I was thinking about changing the saddles of my r18 first edition with a more comfortable model without ruining the aesthetics of the bike. Looking in the BMW accessories catalog, I saw the option 719 saddle which is aesthetically the same as the original one but seems more comfortable. Can anyone actually tell me if it's softer and significantly more comfortable and therefore worth replacing or if it's as hard as a piece of concrete like the original one. Thank you.

Hi all, I was thinking about changing the saddles of my r18 first edition with a more comfortable model without ruining the aesthetics of the bike. Looking in the BMW accessories catalog, I saw the option 719 saddle which is aesthetically the same as the original one but seems more comfortable. Can anyone actually tell me if it's softer and significantly more comfortable and therefore worth replacing or if it's as hard as a piece of concrete like the original one. Thank you.
See Post in thread 'Hommage seat or Day rider choice.... help!' https://www.r18forums.com/threads/hommage-seat-or-day-rider-choice-help.2123/post-30190

Also... one obviously needs longer bolts.... I had the rears in the original style (off my
Thank you for your post; I’m picking up my Hommage next weekend and intend to raise it as well. Your last paragraph … would the “lift” be as noticeable if the spacers were indeed between the seat base and brackets?

Thank you for your post; I’m picking up my Hommage next weekend and intend to raise it as well. Your last paragraph … would the “lift” be as noticeable if the spacers were indeed between the seat
I've given this more thought.... as I'd like to try a higher seat... so I might buy some 15mm alluminium plate... enough for 2 layers... and have a play.

Last edited:
So went for a ride today.... seat is firm.... not compliant..... looks good..... can slide and move yourself when cornering if you are fanging if desired, and in my case a bit better seating position.... but only a 1hr seat .... and I need to blacken the spacers.

20230522_113949.jpg20230522_114030.jpg20230522_113907.jpg20230522_113915.jpg

Last edited:
Picking up from the conversation in the “what did you do” thread so as not to derail it, I just got the nod that my Homage seat is ready for pickup. I will be installing it this weekend. The discussion about height vs comfort and qualifying it as 1-2-3 really helped. If I can get, most importantly, 1 (hip/knees) and, less important, 2 (reach/torso), I can solve 3 (bum) on my own!

Back