BMW R18 Homage seat install

Toyboy

Hi to all,
My first post here but hopefully some will find it useful. Thought I would post my experience with the install of the factory BMW Homage riders seat and what I think of it overall.

So I ordered the seat a bit ago. It finally showed and upon opening the box, found there is no mounting hardware that goes with it. Separate purchase. So unlike BMW right? lol.

Ok, so I order the mount. Got it in super quick actually and had some time today to install. Well, no instructions....anywhere. Not on line in accessory list etc., not in the box as one would think, nothing. Called dealer and have the parts guy stumped too.

Well being mechanically inclined, I figured it out. Wasn't horrible but with instructions would have been a 1/4 the time if that.

So, oddly enough, the only version of this seat is heated. Oh, good. So where is the bike wire? Took a bit and another call to dealer. Come to find out that the R18 Pure and Classic versions do not have the heated seat option so no factory bike plug. Another shocker right? At least I have heated seat so would be easy enough to make it work with a rheostat type switch and the battery. Maybe in the fall.

Biggest thing I wanted out of the seat was the seat height to be taller and really like the look. I have to say that it is a pretty good improvement seat height wise. I do not have a measurement over stock Classic but will get one if anyone interested. Brought me up a good bit higher in the seated position and closer to the bars and opened up my legs. (29" inseam BTW)

I did take pics of it with passenger seat and without. Looks like you can run it either way. With no passenger seat, there is some hardware in the fender exposed but I suppose one could cover somehow. Kit came with a chrome cover of sorts but no idea where it would fit. Some of the parts bags had Touratech stamped on tags.

Have not had a chance to ride yet. Feels good sitting on it though. Better than I thought. Unfortunately the last snow storm this weekend caused salting of the roads so want to wait. rain Thursday. Will get out Friday I hope.

Will attach some pics to give you all an idea. Will post more after sun goes down if they are too bright. Will also include part numbers if anyone interested.

Cheers all

Last edited:
Very nice! Please report back with your riding impressions!

I've been wanting a solution to the bar being so far away. I've been reluctant to order aftermarket "risers"/pull back as they detract from the aesthetics of the bike.

As I have the Cross County seat, it's unlikely that I'll go your route in the near future but I am curious to hear your impressions!

Roger that Vyk. Will do as soon as able.
Will have to look your seat up to see but think it is much like the stock seat but more padding? Just a guess. Cheers

Reactions: Vyk
Hi to all,
My first post here but hopefully some will find it useful. Thought I would post my experience with the install of the factory BMW Homage riders seat and what I think of it overall.

So I ordered the seat a bit ago. It finally showed and upon opening the box, found there is no mounting hardware that goes with it. Separate purchase. So unlike BMW right? lol.

Ok, so I order the mount. Got it in super quick actually and had some time today to install. Well, no instructions....anywhere. Not on line in accessory list etc., not in the box as one would think, nothing. Called dealer and have the parts guy stumped too.

Well being mechanically inclined, I figured it out. Wasn't horrible but with instructions would have been a 1/4 the time if that.

So, oddly enough, the only version of this seat is heated. Oh, good. So where is the bike wire? Took a bit and another call to dealer. Come to find out that the R18 Pure and Classic versions do not have the heated seat option so no factory bike plug. Another shocker right? At least I have heated seat so would be easy enough to make it work with a rheostat type switch and the battery. Maybe in the fall.

Biggest thing I wanted out of the seat was the seat height to be taller and really like the look. I have to say that it is a pretty good improvement seat height wise. I do not have a measurement over stock Classic but will get one if anyone interested. Brought me up a good bit higher in the seated position and closer to the bars and opened up my legs. (29" inseam BTW)

I did take pics of it with passenger seat and without. Looks like you can run it either way. With no passenger seat, there is some hardware in the fender exposed but I suppose one could cover somehow. Kit came with a chrome cover of sorts but no idea where it would fit. Some of the parts bags had Touratech stamped on tags.

Have not had a chance to ride yet. Feels good sitting on it though. Better than I thought. Unfortunately the last snow storm this weekend caused salting of the roads so want to wait. rain Thursday. Will get out Friday I hope.

Will attach some pics to give you all an idea. Will post more after sun goes down if they are too bright. Will also include part numbers if anyone interested.

Cheers all
Great first post and welcome to our sandbox.I really like the seat and was thinking about getting one.Good information for me.Hopefully BMW will have a plug for the heater hookup in the future.
I did want to ask,where you are located because the lsat time I checked the seat was not available for the USA as of yet.
Thx again

I did want to ask,where you are located because the lsat time I checked the seat was not available for the USA as of yet.
Thx again

Based on the angles of the shadows, the absence of leaves in the trees, (which are primarily deciduous), the presence of a Black-capped Chickadee, and soil that looks to be substrata a yellow and brown sandstone, I'm thinking Pennsylvania.

/nice seat

Hey R18C
Todkavonic is correct. am here in Pa. I ordered it in Jan. Said backordered. Got it about 2 weeks ago. Mount came in 3 days after “ discovery”.

One thing I wanted to mention about seat is that with not too much effort, one could shim front mount or both for more height or to adjust to raise front or rear if you did not like lean angle if that makes sense.
Is the seat sprung or does it have springs?
Thx,If you could add the part numbers

Is the seat sprung or does it have springs?
Thx,If you could add the part numbers
Great question. Forgot to comment about that. No springs but has give to a slight degree. It is very reminiscent of a /2 seat. It is rubber or rubberized somehow. First pic is of underside with mount installed. Second is of the front mount that replaces original. Two threaded holes are for rear bolts provided with mount kit.

Seat part number is 77342469411 retail 389.00

Mounting kit 77345A1CBC3 retail 353.00
My dealer gave me a hefty discount on seat which seemed a bargain when we first ordered and after we realized I needed pricey mount kit, got that for cost. Super great dealership and amazing customer service as always at Kissell Motorsports!

Attachments

• 362C8124-7F2D-4366-9673-1073E22BEE5C.jpeg
    362C8124-7F2D-4366-9673-1073E22BEE5C.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 196
  • 32A1BCB7-C9C6-475F-BCE1-44A748B19FE9.jpeg
    32A1BCB7-C9C6-475F-BCE1-44A748B19FE9.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 201
Last edited:
Great question. Forgot to comment about that. No springs but has give to a slight degree. It is very reminiscent of a /2 seat. It is rubber or rubberized somehow. First pic is of underside with mount installed. Second is of the front mount that replaces original. Two threaded holes are for rear bolts provided with mount kit.

Seat part number is 77342469411 retail 389.00

Mounting kit 77345A1CBC3 retail 353.00
My dealer gave me a hefty discount on seat which seemed a bargain when we first ordered and after we realized I needed pricey mount kit, got that for cost. Super great dealership and amazing customer service as always at Kissell Motorsports!
Nice

Awesome post and great timing! I got my Homage seat 2 weeks ago and the exact same thing happened. I picked it up from my dealer while I was out and about running errands. I got home and and it was just the seat. I called up my dealer and they had to dig around for info too. Last monday they got back to me saying the same thing, the mounting kit was separate and the part number wasn't even around or active when it was ordered 5 months ago in the fall. My dealer felt terrible and ordered it asap from Germany. My dealer was awesome about it and they covered it. They too were caught out on the whole issue.

I just got word today today that my mount came in today and they'll send it out to my house today.

I was curious about the wire coming out of the bottom of it. I thought maybe a new antenna ring was inside, due to the metal base of the homage seat cause a loss of signal. But heated is nice....but I too got a first edition so apparently it's useless. But like you mentioned, maybe wire up a gerbing controller and lead to it.

Hopefully get mine on in a few days.

Awesome post and great timing! I got my Homage seat 2 weeks ago and the exact same thing happened. I picked it up from my dealer while I was out and about running errands. I got home and and it was just the seat. I called up my dealer and they had to dig around for info too. Last monday they got back to me saying the same thing, the mounting kit was separate and the part number wasn't even around or active when it was ordered 5 months ago in the fall. My dealer felt terrible and ordered it asap from Germany. My dealer was awesome about it and they covered it. They too were caught out on the whole issue.

I just got word today today that my mount came in today and they'll send it out to my house today.

I was curious about the wire coming out of the bottom of it. I thought maybe a new antenna ring was inside, due to the metal base of the homage seat cause a loss of signal. But heated is nice....but I too got a first edition so apparently it's useless. But like you mentioned, maybe wire up a gerbing controller and lead to it.

Hopefully get mine on in a few days.
That is great that the dealer covered the mount. Even at cost it was around 270.

Yeah, wire it the hook up for the heated seat. Kit comes with a longer wire that plugs into it and then to the bike. I am sure I can get the heat to work with a little engineering. I like your Gerbing idea. I have a couple of those laying around.
Be prepared when you open kit. No instructions whatsoever and none on line as i mentioned. If you need help with it, shoot me a pm and can walk you thru it.
The ring antenna stays in place. Not in the way. You will have two screws and that chrome plate left over. If you figure it out, let me know! Cheers

3CD3D827-9ED0-4753-A775-349501CE341A.jpeg663EF9C1-51C5-411A-A16F-C2CF2ED29BE2.jpeg04422454-F533-484A-8EC9-36AEABFF1905.jpegWell the mount came in today. I got it figured out pretty well after taking a look at your photos. It made complete sense then.

I mounted the seat to the base with the brackets. Removed the factory seat tongue and installed the block with the two screws. Clipped in the seat wire that goes no where with the plastic clip.

THE worst was bolting in the large bolts to the frame. Those were so stupid. The two smaller screws that hold down the front were easy. I got the two larger bolts started by hand but there is zero room for a socket or anything for that matter. I had a T40 torx Allen key and that won’t fit even. I sacrificed it a little and ground down maybe an 3/32” and it still barely worked. I used a t30 and that fit. Until it got to the last push, not trying to wreck the bolt head. Then got like a - tiny turn with the T40 key.

I didn’t see any other way to get to the bolt or change the sequence. I might head to the hardware store and get some stainless hex head bolts in the bmw bolts place.

Back