BMW (Mustang) Seat options breakdown

Will ask the dealer to when I pick it up. Read somewhere about setting it to 12 'clicks' if that is a thing.
Mine is set around 12 clicks. I am 5’9” and weigh around 200 pounds plus clothing thinking of winding mi e up to 14 and seeing if I can improve it even further.

Probably best to work up and see how you feel. I read 10/12 turns on here and whilst it was better than the setting the bike was on, it was too much the other way, backed it off to 5 turns and it’s pretty perfect for me.
I can second that Alex, just a few clicks back and she is more friendly on your spine.

Probably best to work up and see how you feel. I read 10/12 turns on here and whilst it was better than the setting the bike was on, it was too much the other way, backed it off to 5 turns and it’s pretty perfect for me.
What is your weight. I am 170 ish, and currently have it set @ 10 clicks.

What is your weight. I am 170 ish, and currently have it set @ 10 clicks.

230ish going from a quick conversion on Google. I knew the preload was too high when I took the bike out after adjustment and hit a huge unseen bump down an unfamiliar road which should have made the shock bottom out and yet it felt plush.

It’s possible I’m more sensitive to bike setup than others but having had professional setups in the past on many bikes with varying levels of OEM equipment, I’d like to think I have a good feel for when it’s working properly but it also comes down to personal preference also.

Hi. I couldn't find any seat for R18 on Russell day-long website. Was yours custom made?
When I inquired about a seat for the R18TC, they said they were just then starting a build for this bike. Needless to say I was glad.
They are backed up quite a bit so my build is still in front me by a month.

Picked up my BMW R 18 Classic Day Rider Seats & Backrest today. Very comfortable so far, will take it out this afternoon for a ride to check out. Will put me over 500 miles on the bike, so will be ready for first service after this. Still awaiting the floorboards and heel/toe shifter to come in at Wooly's Cycles of Atlanta. When at Wooly's today, there were two more R 18 Classics on the sale floor.
Is that not a Weekender?

I have one. Also bought the brown matching rider backrest. The backrest is angle adjustable and also height adjustable. I bought it to use for longer rides only. I like the brown because I think it gives it more of a vintage look to the bike, but thats just my opinion. Black looks good too. I can take some pictures if somebody wants
Photo would be great!

Is that the dayrider seat in Brown? when advertised on BMW parts it looks lots darker a very dark Brown does your photos reflect a truer colour?

Cheers Mike
Had to go look😀 forgot I posted those. That is a accurate color shade of brown in those pics. Not all that dark. But sometimes the shade could vary a little bit when dealing with that distressed type of material?🤷🏻‍♂️

I could not take the pain anymore on the stock seat having had 3 back repairs. I called the parts man in Temecula BMW and asked about ordering or buying a cross country seat for my r18 and he promptly informed me that they are no longer available! I went straight to ebay and ordered one from a dealership up in MI. It is set to arrive on May 7th. If it is true that it is no longer available I am shocked something so important would stop being produced for a bike this young.

Yes sir, you are correct. Thanks for the post, I am going to print it and take it in to the parts guy and show him. He probably could not get to it because of Dealership internet restrictions.

And of course - ZERO instructions included with the seat.
I bought the weekender seat and had issues with the install as well. Attaching the driver seat was smooth, I put the bushing where it's supposed to go but then I would push down on the passenger pillion to try and "mate" it to the bushing without being able to see through the foam. Doing it by feel. Missing. Thinking it was attached, screwing the rear bolt down only to find the pillion didnt latch. Multiple times. Very bad words could be heard from my garage by all of the townsfolk.

Then I finally tried pushing the pillion against the driver seat at about a 45 degree angle and try to latch onto the bushing that way and once I felt it hook in and then would push down hard to screw in the rear bolt. Success. Finally.

Love the seat. Makes me sit a little forward from the stock seat but a bit higher as well so... trade offs. Much more comfortable.
R18_Weekender.jpg

I just got off the phone with Trish at Mustang seats and she gave me a bit of a primer on the offerings by BMW on the seats that are OEM'd by Mustang. As we all know the dealers have little to no information on the seats, so we are left to either buying them blind and hoping that they will be what we want. To me, I am looking for a better seat that doesn't have the requirement of the pillion part.

"Day Rider Seat" - This is a two-piece seat that can be installed with just the front or the front and rear. It gives the option of a backrest for the rider and comes in Black or Brown. It has slightly more padding then the stock seat and is a more retro style. Seat Height - 27.4"

"The Weekender Seat" - This is a two-piece seat that can be installed with just the front or the front and rear. It gives the option of a backrest for the rider and comes in Black or Brown. It is taller and wider than the "Day Rider Seat" and has more padding and smooth leather. Seat Height 27.4"

"The Cross Country Seat" - This is a one-piece design. It gives the option of a backrest for the rider and comes in Black or Brown. It is taller and wider than the "The Weekender Seat" and has even more padding and smooth leather. Seat Height 27.7"
I can't find any Weekender OR Cross Country BROWN seats for sale anywhere as of October 2023, only the Day Rider and the solo. Does anyone know any different?

I just got off the phone with Trish at Mustang seats and she gave me a bit of a primer on the offerings by BMW on the seats that are OEM'd by Mustang. As we all know the dealers have little to no information on the seats, so we are left to either buying them blind and hoping that they will be what we want. To me, I am looking for a better seat that doesn't have the requirement of the pillion part.

"Day Rider Seat" - This is a two-piece seat that can be installed with just the front or the front and rear. It gives the option of a backrest for the rider and comes in Black or Brown. It has slightly more padding then the stock seat and is a more retro style. Seat Height - 27.4"

"The Weekender Seat" - This is a two-piece seat that can be installed with just the front or the front and rear. It gives the option of a backrest for the rider and comes in Black or Brown. It is taller and wider than the "Day Rider Seat" and has more padding and smooth leather. Seat Height 27.4"

"The Cross Country Seat" - This is a one-piece design. It gives the option of a backrest for the rider and comes in Black or Brown. It is taller and wider than the "The Weekender Seat" and has even more padding and smooth leather. Seat Height 27.7"
Thank you. I am going to look into these through my neighborhood Mustang dealer.

Back