Adaptive Headlight Recall Update

Hmm. Bushings. On existing mount points which may or may not have been designed to actually have bushings. Which makes me curious about the effectiveness...

This seems like it could be a stop-gap band-aid when the root problem is the light itself is not designed or manufactured to handle vibration - which lets be honest: there is vibration on motorcycles just in general - so everything on any bike needs to handle vibration more-so than automobiles...

I would much prefer an alternate or after-market version that had no moving parts - since it seems like the moving parts want to rattle themselves to death and I don't see how bushings do anything better than slightly reduce the risk

I just returned from the dealer after taking my bike there for the annual service.
Under the work in scope they checked the headlight and angle. Without dismantling the unit, they just place the bike straight up and facing a machine that has a lens right on front. After turning the handlebar left and right and flicking between high and low beam, they just inspected it visually. They determined that so far y headlight is not affected as the beam projects correctly and there were no visual indications of the parts breaking up.
The mechanic confirmed that if the headlight was found to be faulty, they just add rubber bushings that are slightly more robust than the original (I always thought this was a sealed unit)
He said they are yet to do this as they have not received any bike with faulty headlights.
They are aware of the issue and as a joke he said chances were someone at the factory or the assembly line drop a whole box full of headlights and the units failed prematurely 🙄

I just returned from the dealer after taking my bike there for the annual service.
Under the work in scope they checked the headlight and angle. Without dismantling the unit, they just place the bike straight up and facing a machine that has a lens right on front. After turning the handlebar left and right and flicking between high and low beam, they just inspected it visually. They determined that so far y headlight is not affected as the beam projects correctly and there were no visual indications of the parts breaking up.
The mechanic confirmed that if the headlight was found to be faulty, they just add rubber bushings that are slightly more robust than the original (I always thought this was a sealed unit)
He said they are yet to do this as they have not received any bike with faulty headlights.
They are aware of the issue and as a joke he said chances were someone at the factory or the assembly line drop a whole box full of headlights and the units failed prematurely 🙄

There is no recall for us yet bud, we are simply read the recall notice which tells us that the headlamp may fail and as yet there is no fix. Motorrad NA, Motorrad EU and Motorrad UK operate as separate entities. Due to litigation risks with class action in the US, recalls and Technical bulletins are often actioned there first quite a long time before the EU and us here. A good example is the driveshaft on the K52/K53 R12 models, positive action was taken in NA about 12 months before we saw any action.

There is no recall for us yet bud, we are simply read the recall notice which tells us that the headlamp may fail and as yet there is no fix. Motorrad NA, Motorrad EU and Motorrad UK operate as separate entities. Due to litigation risks with class action in the US, recalls and Technical bulletins are often actioned there first quite a long time before the EU and us here. A good example is the driveshaft on the K52/K53 R12 models, positive action was taken in NA about 12 months before we saw any action.
Indeed, he did not say it was a recall but a “campaign “
Not sure why they wrote late 1st year service. I am actually on my second and ahead of schedule in terms or mileage and due date .🤣🤣🤣

Attachments

• IMG_1154.jpeg
    IMG_1154.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 14
Indeed, he did not say it was a recall but a “campaign “
Not sure why they wrote late 1st year service. I am actually on my second and ahead of schedule in terms or mileage and due date .🤣🤣🤣
Strange that they don't state that the valve check was done, mine was the same.

Strange that they don't state that the valve check was done, mine was the same.
I thought the valves check would have been done but the bike has only 3342 mls on the clock. I only did the service because it has been 11 months since the last service and the app was calling for it in July. Maybe it will be done next year when she should be past 6K miles. Due to my left knee issue last year, I hardly rode the bike, it has been mainly since January that I started riding again.

I JUST GOT THIS FROM MY DEALER
Hey Robert,
Sorry for the delay in response, but we just got confirmation of what parts are needed for this recall, and I just submitted your VIN for the parts allocation. We should be seeing the parts start rolling in shortly, but we will reach out to schedule once we have all of them in hand. Thanks for your patience and I'm glad that progress is being made for you!
Have a great day,
-Zak
Kissell Motorsports

Good news
I've inserted several different R18 VINs in the Motorrad safety website. They all came back saying, "a remedy is available."
I submitted VINs from all corners of the country. An R18 that caught my eye in FT. Meyers, FL, with the deal of the century, was bought out from under me overnight. I'm planning to finally take my 2023 Transcontinental off the showroom floor over the next coupe of days.

YAHOO!
1000007912.jpg

More Good News :) I am finally on schedule to pick up my R18b next Thursday. Cant wait. Anyone know what additional incentives BMW is offering on the 2023 models due to the recall?

Regards,
LS

More Good News :) I am finally on schedule to pick up my R18b next Thursday. Cant wait. Anyone know what additional incentives BMW is offering on the 2023 models due to the recall?

Regards,
LS
From how my dealer talked about it, sounds like deals will depend on how many 2023s they’re sitting on. BMW wasn’t sending 24s out to dealers that had too many 23s.

When I bought my 2023 (right after that fall stop sale), they gave me like $9k off with no haggling. Hoping you can do as well or better with a bike a full model year behind now.

I'm trying to have my out-the-door cost squared with the abundant 2023 R18 deals amongst
BMW dealers.
BigJimSlim, could you share your dealer's name? I found a mineral white 2023 in Fort Myers, FL, that was posted for $21,500.00.
Unbelievable! Someone beat me to the punch, though, by mere hours.
I've been scouring Cycle Trader, but any information forum members have about 2023 super deals is appreciated.
All the best,
Robert :cool:

I'm trying to have my out-the-door cost squared with the abundant 2023 R18 deals amongst
BMW dealers.
BigJimSlim, could you share your dealer's name? I found a mineral white 2023 in Fort Myers, FL, that was posted for $21,500.00.
Unbelievable! Someone beat me to the punch, though, by mere hours.
I've been scouring Cycle Trader, but any information forum members have about 2023 super deals is appreciated.
All the best,
Robert :cool:
I got mine at this dealer: https://bmwmotomichigan.com/

Yahoo! Heading for the Adirondack Mountains tomorrow on the TC. I worked with my dealer
the past few days, and when I arrived this morning in New Milford, Black Beauty was sitting at
the front door with a SOLD sign hanging from the right grip.
What a beautiful sight.
I'm used to the weight of the LT and K1600s, but the TC is different. The low center of gravity makes
a difference. I want the handlebars to be back and up a bit, but that's my personal preference.
Also, the dealer walked me through pairing my Android 22 Ultra with the infotainment system.
He also helped me download all the states for a cross-country trip. The sound system is out of
this world. I road 100 miles and didn't drop the connection once.
The brakes are different from my GA's, but I'll have no problems stopping on a dime as I get used
to them.
I can't wait to post pictures from the Adirondacks of Black Beauty.
I hope everyone else who endured the stop sale is enjoying their R18.
It was worth the wait,
Robert

Back