Adaptive headlight issue?

Update - local dealer submitted claim for broken headlight today and BMW “approved” the claim. Dealer states there is not one headlight available “in the world” so no timeframe provided to complete repair.
I bet you if you were to go in and pay for one in full, full price, from the parts department, they could find one pretty quickly, off of the production line. I am sure there's plenty of them available in or around Berlin, Germany.

I bet you if you were to go in and pay for one in full, full price, from the parts department, they could find one pretty quickly, off of the production line. I am sure there's plenty of them available in or around Berlin, Germany.
Hahaha Money talks .. warranty walks?

Edit: sorry that wasn't very nice to towards the folks that are affected by this ... I do feel with you ... please know that!

It took my dealership approximately 3 - 4 months to get my new adaptive headlight; which was replaced yesterday under warranty, they also performed the splines lubrication recall under warranty as well:

Screenshot_20230907-063443.png

It took my dealership approximately 3 - 4 months to get my new adaptive headlight; which was replaced yesterday under warranty, they also performed the splines lubrication recall under warranty as well:

View attachment 11557
Looks like your "recalibration issue" started around June 10th. This is Sept 7th... about 90 days. Any idea when about the spline lubrication issue was addressed at the factory? Is the spline lube a 1 shot deal, or does it need regular servicing annually or based on mileage? Shame we can't hold on to the saved warranty parts, for a further failure analysis inspection.

my replaced headlight is still acting up. BMW NA has been no help.
There is no light down the road it only lights up about 5 ft in front of the bike at night. Also one time I was turning and the beam got stuck, until I pulled over and restarted the bike.(the only good thing about this is I could actually see a little bit down the road, when it got stuck) This thing is seriously dangerous at night.
The dealership won't take the bike back for another month to "inspect the issue, if any" << to add injury to insult.

There is no light down the road it only lights up about 5 ft in front of the bike at night. Also one time I was turning and the beam got stuck, until I pulled over and restarted the bike.(the only good thing about this is I could actually see a little bit down the road, when it got stuck) This thing is seriously dangerous at night.
The dealership won't take the bike back for another month to "inspect the issue, if any" << to add injury to insult.
I took the bike into work this morning, since my headlight was replaced; I'll have to pay better attention, I also thought the road wasn't as lighted as it should be...

I just thought it was a lack of coffee or something.. I'll check in tomorrow if the weather permits..

Call NHTSA and give them the details in a verbal report, that the fix was not satisfactory. I would also try to get the number of BMW corporate customer service, call them and explain the details. Dealerships need to do better in verifying the work their technicians perform.

Last edited:
what were the signs it was going bad ? I may have a issue happening
Take a peek inside the headlight, see if anything doesn't look even or looks out of place. Alternately, take the bike out for a night ride and see if your headlight beam looks correct on pavement, and or does it rattle or bounce around loosely while riding. Do some turns and check the adaptive headlight feature at night. Look for anomolies.

Take a peek inside the headlight, see if anything doesn't look even or looks out of place. Alternately, take the bike out for a night ride and see if your headlight beam looks correct on pavement, and or does it rattle or bounce around loosely while riding. Do some turns and check the adaptive headlight feature at night. Look for anomolies.
I happened to notice the other morning that it almost seems like the light is flickering but the insides look normal . it does react when turning so I don't know

I happened to notice the other morning that it almost seems like the light is flickering but the insides look normal . it does react when turning so I don't know
If I see that right, you have a 'Classic' I believe that is a different headlight ... like on the FE ... no moving parts, just more LEDs light up left or right ...

The light on mine flickers right in front of the bike, a foot or two in front of the wheel, but the beam seems solid and stable ahead of me. The adaptive mechanism appears to be working on mine as well, so maybe the flickering is normal - or a sign it’s about to die.

The light on mine flickers right in front of the bike, a foot or two in front of the wheel, but the beam seems solid and stable ahead of me. The adaptive mechanism appears to be working on mine as well, so maybe the flickering is normal - or a sign it’s about to die.
that's exactly what im getting

I took the bike into work this morning, since my headlight was replaced; I'll have to pay better attention, I also thought the road wasn't as lighted as it should be...

I just thought it was a lack of coffee or something.. I'll check in tomorrow if the weather permits..
I took the bike into work, which started off poorly; the headlight turned On and then turned OFF, then received a fault message on the TFT screen. The high beam worked, but the low beam wasn't working.

I shut the bike down and power cycled the bike; the headlight problem cleared for my ride into work. Not happy...!!

See the attached picture:

Screenshot_20230920-062230.png

Jesus, my dealer can’t even get me in for a month. Then they looked real quick and zero headlights stateside or in Germany. The 1st of October berlin will be restocked. That’s what my dealer told me today

Jesus, my dealer can’t even get me in for a month. Then they looked real quick and zero headlights stateside or in Germany. The 1st of October berlin will be restocked. That’s what my dealer told me today
Does that bother you, how BMW stocks spare parts that are a known failure issue?

This is my light with the bike off and upright. It’s off center, but it should straighten itself out once the bike is moved and after it figures out how to align itself, correct? Or, because it’s off center powered off means it’s an issue? I never drive this bike at night, maybe I should to check it out.IMG_0383.jpeg

Back