Adaptive headlight issue?

Thanks Scott, great advice. I'll get that in the works pretty quick, with luck it'll be replaced before it fails.
It's pretty much always been how it is now; it'll be nice to see how it's really supposed to work. :)
I've been riding into work more often these past couple of weeks; it's still dark when I hit the road, and I'm still not sure I can determine if my Adaptive Headlight functionality is actually working or I'm just not noticing the beam tracking.

I thought about starting the bike on the center stand and see if I can notice the lighting elements moving if I turn the handlebars.

I would have been fine with a simple LED headlight, reliable without any moving parts... however, I paid extra for this somewhere in the total cost of the bike, so I expect BMW to stand behind it.

I'd be happy with the above mentioned "simple" headlight and a refund check to offset the lost of the adaptive function.

I've been riding into work more often these past couple of weeks; it's still dark when I hit the road, and I'm still not sure I can determine if my Adaptive Headlight functionality is actually working or I'm just not noticing the beam tracking.

I thought about starting the bike on the center stand and see if I can notice the lighting elements moving if I turn the handlebars.

I would have been fine with a simple LED headlight, reliable without any moving parts... however, I paid extra for this somewhere in the total cost of the bike, so I expect BMW to stand behind it.

I'd be happy with the above mentioned "simple" headlight and a refund check to offset the lost of the adaptive function.
Touching wood, I have not suffered this failure yet but like you, the adaptive headlight was sold to me as a must have (I am sure BMW told their sales people to sell this extra quite aggressively)
Having a F13 with adaptive headlights, I am not new to the technology and on the car works really well, so I went for it on the bike. I figured out that if I was paying lots of money already with all the extras I had, I may as well select the adaptive headlight. Truth be told, if I knew then what I know now I would have opted out. Mine has not failed yet and I hope it does not, but if it does and happens out of warranty then I would go for the box standard headlight. The beam is wide enough in any case for what I have seen on my own bike so I question if the adaptive headlight actually offers any value for money.

I noticed that the low beams were pretty inconsistent a few weeks ago. Didn't give it much thought as I turned on the high beams and kept riding... After looking at the headlight later I noticed that the bar was loose as was the low beam reflector. Took it to the local dealer who said they will file with BMW, but they were not familiar with the issue. Last night I rode down several pretty busy side roads. Pretty scary... Adaptive headlight clearly does not work. With the reflector loose the headlight will occasionally blind oncoming traffic, point to the sky or side of the road. Riding with high beams was not an option as there was a good amount of oncoming traffic. Hope they can get me a replacement light ASAP, although seriously considering asking to switch to a regular headlight as I am not sure if they have a real fix for it. Also considering adding some additional lights on the bike.

Attachments

• Headlight1.jpg
    Headlight1.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 17
I noticed that the low beams were pretty inconsistent a few weeks ago. Didn't give it much thought as I turned on the high beams and kept riding... After looking at the headlight later I noticed that the bar was loose as was the low beam reflector. Took it to the local dealer who said they will file with BMW, but they were not familiar with the issue. Last night I rode down several pretty busy side roads. Pretty scary... Adaptive headlight clearly does not work. With the reflector loose the headlight will occasionally blind oncoming traffic, point to the sky or side of the road. Riding with high beams was not an option as there was a good amount of oncoming traffic. Hope they can get me a replacement light ASAP, although seriously considering asking to switch to a regular headlight as I am not sure if they have a real fix for it. Also considering adding some additional lights on the bike.
Please file a complaint with NHTSA as soon as possible.

Please file a complaint with NHTSA as soon as possible.
I agree with Pork Rind. I would also avoid riding at night because clearly this is a serious safety issue.
I hope you get the matter sorted soon. Yes, a non adaptive headlight will be a much safer option. We paid a handsome amount for this extra and I am sure a compensation will be on the pipeline if this issue becomes better known.

I've no idea the number of R18 B or TC sales in the USA from introduction to now, but I would very much be interested in the number of headlight failures out of that total.

I tried to see if I could watch the adaptive functionality of the headlight move, while I put my bike up on the center stand, with both wheels up off the ground; I started the bike and put it into gear which allowed the speedometer to record a speed and I titled the front wheel back & Forth....

Nothing... the light's lens didn't move at all; I'm not sure how to test this or verify the functionality.. I did notice though, the lens was centered perfectly when at rest.

The test was worth trying...

I tried to see if I could watch the adaptive functionality of the headlight move, while I put my bike up on the center stand, with both wheels up off the ground; I started the bike and put it into gear which allowed the speedometer to record a speed and I titled the front wheel back & Forth....

Nothing... the light's lens didn't move at all; I'm not sure how to test this or verify the functionality.. I did notice though, the lens was centered perfectly when at rest.

Scott ... I think it has to do with lean angle ... I know I have a different style 'Adaptive' headlight ... but my extra LEDs don't come on until I actually lean into a turn, they never activate in the parking lot when simply maneuvering around without actually leaning into it.
P.S.: I could really live without that function ... took me quite a bit of getting used to one side or the other getting brighter as I turn.

it's lean angle. There's a Gyro housed within the headlight. I went out and tested my new headlight... Our NJ Jug handles are the best to test these at night of course... and then mine got stuck in a right lean light angle until I restarted the bike.. lol hasn't happened since then. but the New headlight is aimed way too low or defective.

just an update for everyone... BMW NA has told me they can't help, the dealership doesn't have availability to take the bike back and test it till December. I've call other dealerships and they don't want to touch it if another dealership initiated the work.

So I just threw more money at it and bought additional lights that will mount to my engine guards.

it's lean angle. There's a Gyro housed within the headlight. I went out and tested my new headlight... Our NJ Jug handles are the best to test these at night of course... and then mine got stuck in a right lean light angle until I restarted the bike.. lol hasn't happened since then. but the New headlight is aimed way too low or defective.

just an update for everyone... BMW NA has told me they can't help, the dealership doesn't have availability to take the bike back and test it till December. I've call other dealerships and they don't want to touch it if another dealership initiated the work.

So I just threw more money at it and bought additional lights that will mount to my engine guards.
Which NJ Dealership..?

That truly sucks .. sorry to hear.

owners with the broken headlights, are you still able to ride the bike or is it just too wonky?

no inventory and no communication from BMW bothers me. I'm getting cold feet while waiting for my TC. even after the stop sale zero communication bs, now BMW NA is not providing any info on when they're going to send my bike from NJ to PA.

seeing this headlight issue and potentially other issues that might come up, I'm wondering if the TC could be a headache I don't want to wait for anymore and I should just move on to another brand of touring bike.
HD?

Metuchen, last time when they replaced the original headlight, they returned it absolutely filthy with finger prints all over it and dust.. absolutely unhappy with cross country
Oh yea?

is there a simple Headlight available ?

HD is more money than I think they're worth, so I was thinking Goldwing or Indian Pursuit. Pursuit has its own issues. it's BMW NA logistics that has me concerned as it's taken them 3 weeks to get a TC from NJ center to a PA dealer about 4 hours away. and that's for something that will bring them revenue. warranty parts like this headlight are going to be excruciatingly slow.

but the deal and the bike are worth waiting for so I'm sticking with the TC. I'm told the dealer will probably get it today.

Oh yea?

Oh yea?

the adaptive headlight is an optional feature so I assume there's a base headlight without the plastic moving parts that seem to be breaking from vibratory stress. while under warranty I'd look for an adaptive replacement but if it breaks out of warranty I'd be looking for that base headlight. or going into the housing to try to fix it myself

Oh yea?

The R18"FE", Classic and R9T variants LED headlamp should fit and while the design is different it too has the lean angle feature. I've mentioned this a few times in this thread and suggested when owners with a lamp failure are speaking with their shop to see if these or any of the other quality aftermarket lamps would be at least a temporary fix. It's simply a headlamp bulb/assembly that is in fact optional so it would seem logical a less "fancy" bulb could work until the new and improved replacement becomes available. No horse in this race and YRMV.

Back