Adaptive headlight issue?

It's models with the Street Glide or Road Glide type full fairings that are experiencing these failures.... Baggers and Trans Continentals. I wouldn't want to ride this bike trans continental with their failure rate and backorder of parts not in stock, if you were on the road, say to Sturgis, on a longer trip and it failed.

It's 3100 miles from where I live to Sturgis, round trip. I know the Two Lane Life and Thrashin Supply guys personally, they just did an iron butt day, Deadwood to Las Vegas. about 1080 miles. BMW fairing modeled bikes aren't ready for prime time yet. TransContinental, to me, is just a name, not quite the right stuff yet to live up to it. There just aren't enough BMW Motorrad dealerships between where I live and Sturgis. 1 in Las Vegas, and 1 in all of Utah, downtown Salt Lake. That's a Looooong tow to get it to a dealership to fix.
You're right as far as support and number of dealerships. But for some odd reason I cant bring myself to buy a Roadglide... I like em, but it's also the same reason why I won't daily drive a honda accord lol

You're right as far as support and number of dealerships. But for some odd reason I cant bring myself to buy a Roadglide... I like em, but it's also the same reason why I won't daily drive a honda accord lol
I don't think I'll ever buy a Street Glide or a Road Glide. Hard to find your bike if you ride to Sturgis, amongst the sea of them. A little too popular among the patched crowd.

You may be on to something there ... or maybe a combination of the two?
Anyway .. I have been following this thread and I really feel with all the folks that have this issue ... and here comes my silly question, this seems to be confined to the TC model? I have a FE with adaptive headlight and 0 issues (10 000 miles) ... but it seems to be a totally different headlight ... noting moves ... just some more LEDs come on to the left (or right) when I turn ... wouldn't it be possible to fit that light on the affected bikes and solve the issue?
I haven't carefully read through this thread, but is it JUST the Transcontinental models that are suffering the broken headlamp issue? This will help significantly narrow down the scope of those affected.

Anyone affected NOT a TC?

BTW, I'm a First Edition TC, but I have yet to experience this issue; It sounds like I haven't pulled the short straw yet...

Mike

I haven't carefully read through this thread, but is it JUST the Transcontinental models that are suffering the broken headlamp issue? This will help significantly narrow down the scope of those affected.

BTW, I'm a First Edition TC, but I have yet to experience this issue; It sounds like I haven't pulled the short straw yet...

Mike
B is same.

I get mine replaced tomorrow morning!

Mike
Does yours actually move, or it like mine with the extra LEDs?

2022 FE TC, 1,300 miles. Called local dealer and they claim no knowledge of any issues with the adaptive headlights on R18. Stated they called regional (NC) BMW service rep and BMW claims no known issues. I called dealer 2 hours away and they currently have 3 cases although 1 was due to accident.

Attachments

• R18 Adaptive Headlight (1).jpg
    R18 Adaptive Headlight (1).jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 27
Does yours actually move, or it like mine with the extra LEDs?
It's the moving kind.

I'd ask if it's possible to disable the motors via software on the GS-911, but OTOH, I also PAID for the adaptive headlight!

BMW needs to make this right for those affected. I'll keep sounding like a broken record here, but everyone who's experienced the broken headlamp issue, also PLEASE submit a safety complaint to the NHTSA at http://[URL]https://www.nhtsa.gov/report-a-safety-problem#index in ADDITION to getting BMW to fix your bike under warranty. This not only helps everyone out, but it helps YOU out, post-warranty, as BMW will be forced to mandate repairs/replacements regardless of warranty status (remember Takata airbags?)

If you think BMW will VOLUNTARILY self-report to the NHTSA, I have a bridge in Brooklyn I'll make you a fair offer on ;).

Mike

2022 FE TC, 1,300 miles. Called local dealer and they claim no knowledge of any issues with the adaptive headlights on R18. Stated they called regional (NC) BMW service rep and BMW claims no known issues. I called dealer 2 hours away and they currently have 3 cases although 1 was due to accident.
It would be interesting if everyone called a few dealerships service managers around them, see what they say, if they've fixed any.
Also, talk to the parts department, to see if they have any in stock or have ordered any, or have any on back order. Ask what they cost, while you've got them on the line, and a part number.

Then report back here, their findings.

Also, anyone that has HAD theirs replaced under warranty, already, call back the service manager, and ask if they've had any headlights warrantied yet. See if they still haven't heard of it. ;)

Only reading this thread a week or so ago.... a bit of a jinx I think.... went for a ride yesterday and got a bulb warning... haha! ....

20230824_161807.jpg

Could not see any light issues..... so out with the Motorscan thingy.... only got one a week ago....

20230825_160641.jpg

This is what it tells me.....

20230825_160628.jpg

So onto the dealer next week.... bike is a 3/2021 FE only in first year of 3 year warranty though. I could not clear the code... thought I'd try and see if it came back. I also own a 2021 r nine t scrambler with same headlight....

So onto the dealer next week.... bike is a 3/2021 FE only in first year of 3 year warranty though. I could not clear the code... thought I'd try and see if it came back. I also own a 2021 r nine t scrambler with same headlight....
Could you please post a picture of your light from the front? mine is also a '21 FE (don't know what month) I am wondering if I have the same light as you ... and if yes, it is would be good to know that it was/is used on other models.

I just called Sturgis Motorsports for status on my warranty claim. It is in the system and they have no doubt of approval. They did check their system for headlight inventory and show zero in stock in the USA and also zero in stock in Germany. The dealer thinks this may be a sign that BMW has stopped producing the headlight that is having issues and moving to a new model, but that is only speculation. He said BMW corporate knows this is an issue. As of now I have no timeline as to when a headlight will be available.

I just called Sturgis Motorsports for status on my warranty claim. It is in the system and they have no doubt of approval. They did check their system for headlight inventory and show zero in stock in the USA and also zero in stock in Germany. The dealer thinks this may be a sign that BMW has stopped producing the headlight that is having issues and moving to a new model, but that is only speculation. He said BMW corporate knows this is an issue. As of now I have no timeline as to when a headlight will be available.
You'll have your answer on that very shortly, when the 2024 models start showing up. Ask for the part number and price on a headlight for a 2023 R 18 B and a 2024 R 18 B. If they are the same, there's your answer. If the part number is different, then you know something might have changed. Maybe also visually inspect any headlights on B or TC models with 2024 year models, to 2023 and earlier. Take pictures for us, and post up here.

Of course corporate is aware of this, which is Soothing talk to the customer, both actual and potential. But it means nothing, not until a new headlight with a new part number shows up in newly made bikes, and in those existing bikes that are having failure, with the new part number headlights being installed. That's just telling you what you want to hear, doesn't mean they've actually fixed it. Trust, but verify!

A part number.... Price this time, for adaptive unit, about $3300, a dealership in Pomona, CA, $3405.49 in Ventura, CA

0 in stock in Germany or the USA.

63 128 395 642

One dealership also quoted a price for the non deluxe, non adaptive unit, no part # $2619.49

BMW stockist France . In US dollars plus $50-60 delivery fee.
That is a different part number. There are two headlight part numbers. I just checked BMW of Denver, CO and their website showed one in stock, but it is actually for a warranty claim and unavailable. 2023-08-25 17_25_51-.png2023-08-25 17_39_07.png

Last edited:
European and American models may differ re part numbers. I’d still bet they would work. I just bought 70w-80 Mopar oil. Part no. in Aust. different to Euro and US . Same oil. I purchased auxiliary lights from this French site. Didn’t check part number ; they plugged in with correct harness and worked. Send an enquiry to them. They’ll be able to confirm.

European and American models may differ re part numbers. I’d still bet they would work. I just bought 70w-80 Mopar oil. Part no. in Aust. different to Euro and US . Same oil. I purchased auxiliary lights from this French site. Didn’t check part number ; they plugged in with correct harness and worked. Send an enquiry to them. They’ll be able to confirm.
Kate ... that is the kind I have on my 21 FE it is the 'non moving' kind that just lights up more LEDs left or right ... (judging by the picture)

IMG_20230825_174435885.jpg

Back