R18 with Pro-Race exhaust?? Opinions

good morning.
I wanted to ask a mechanical question to see what you think.
My bike is the one shown above with the short Pro-Race brand exhausts.
Some people have told me that it is dangerous for the engine to use short free exhausts, because they could damage the valves by burning them or cause engine failure.
I trust you more and I wanted to know what you think because I have only done 100 miles before removing them and putting the OEM ones back on the bike

thank you so much

Last edited:
Hello. Not a mechanic but I don’t think there is a real damage per se. I have always heard that by removing the silencer, back plates etc the gases are expelled faster and thus reducing the pressure inside the systems which may help with engine performance. Although different but pretty much the same principle think about a WWII fighter, i.e a Spitfire or Hurricane. They had massive 27lt V12 engines and their exhaust pipes were shorter than a French bulldog tail. I don’t think these engines suffered from mechanical failures associated with short exhaust. I used to ride a Yamaha Dragstar 650 with a set of Jardine straight through pipes for years. Lovely set, loud as f**k and I did not even re jet the carburettor. Ran that set up for almost 5 years till I sold the bike only swapping the exhaust for the annual inspection (MOT) because they were too loud to pass the street legal limits.
Another thing is that BMW is selling new bikes with this set up already so I don’t think they would do this if they are shooting themselves in the foot given the 3 years warranty on new bikes. Do a bit of research, don’t take it from me as I said, I am not a mechanic but I don’t think you have anything to worry about.

I am a mechanic, and I’ll say use the exhaust. Don’t even worry about burning valves. There is a whole other process for burning valves… having a bit less back pressure and shorter pipes won’t cause it.

good morning.
I wanted to ask a mechanical question to see what you think.
My bike is the one shown above with the short Pro-Race brand exhausts.
Some people have told me that it is dangerous for the engine to use short free exhausts, because they could damage the valves by burning them or cause engine failure.
I trust you more and I wanted to know what you think because I have only done 100 miles before removing them and putting the OEM ones back on the bike

thank you so much
Soooo.. on another note. Want to sell those shortys?! I’m a buyer!

Crushed mine. 6’2” @ 290 and they didn’t take full compression at full lean into consideration. And they are building me a new set after 15k miles. They stand by their product and then some. What a company.

Attachments

• IMG_4401.jpeg
    IMG_4401.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_4182.jpeg
    13.8 MB · Views: 53
I have the full system and in my opinion it’s the absolute perfect system for this bike. Bren tune and intake and this thing flies. The color is perfect and the weight savings is nuts. I waited 4 months to get these and worth every penny.
What was the effect of the Bren tune?
Thanks,
RK

What was the effect of the Bren tune?
Thanks,
RK
The tune smooths out a couple of dead spots in the throttle, increases rpm range to pull to 5500 all day long, adds some lope to the bike in rock mode when idling in neutral so the bike really shakes sitting there and all in all just pulls harder and smoother. Really refined the original map. Nothing major major but worth the price.

Back