Wireless Phone Charger Project R18 B / TC

Scott Semone

Wireless Phone Charger Project: Overall, I've been pretty happy with the TFT functionality on my B Model in terms of being able to get detailed map displays and playing music while out on the road; however, BMW could have implemented an onboard navigation system, a memory slot to load or store downloaded music and of course addressing the wireless charging capability within the phone compartment...

I took a closer look at the phone charging assembly; it of course looks to be an over engineered USB power pass-thru and a thermostat trigger in order to activate the fan which moves air through the phone compartment. (See Picture).

Since getting a new Pixel 7, which just fits within the compartment; however, connecting it to the USB and fitting it into the space is a pain in the ass.. If it were as easy as dropping my phone into the compartment and securing it with the flip down mechanical lever, I think it would make a world of difference.

I took the whole assembly out; which is powered by 12V DC that is available once you turn-on the power switch, as well as while the bike is running. I'm pretty certain I can modify the underside in order to create the magnetic field needed to induce the charging capability on my phone.

More to follow as I chip away at this enhancement..

PXL_20230227_101901406.jpg

Last edited:
Wireless Phone Charger Project: Overall, I've been pretty happy with the TFT functionality on my B Model in terms of being able to get detailed map displays and playing music while out on the road; however, BMW could have implemented an onboard navigation system, a memory slot to load or store downloaded music and of course addressing the wireless charging capability within the phone compartment...

I took a closer look at the phone charging assembly; it of course looks to be an over engineered USB power pass-thru and a thermostat trigger in order to activate the fan which moves air through the phone compartment. (See Picture).

Since getting a new Pixel 7, which just fits within the compartment; however, connecting it to the USB and fitting it into the space is a pain in the ass.. If it were as easy as dropping my phone into the compartment and securing it with the flip down mechanical lever, I think it would make a world of difference.

I took the whole assembly out; which is powered by 12V DC that is available once you turn-on the power switch, as well as while the bike is running. I'm pretty certain I can modify the underside in order to create the magnetic field needed to induce the charging capability on my phone.

View attachment 9134
Why didn’t BMW put wireless charging above the gas tank? I’m sure you can think of a very good reason if you try hard enough.

Why didn’t BMW put wireless charging above the gas tank? I’m sure you can think of a very good reason if you try hard enough.
I'm surprised Wunderlich or some other third party accessories company hasn't come up with a solution, which would make better use of the space and be a direct swap... Plug-&-Play Wireless Charger

There's a LOT of unused real-estate under the phone cradle assembly; it's easy enough to lift out for any TC/B owners who want to check it out. Using the folding lever, pull up from the top and the whole assembly pops out, as it is held in with friction clips.

View attachment 9134
I was successful in charging a Pixel 7 and an iPhone using a 12V DC inductive circuit; however, it does require the removal of the Fan & Thermostat assembly underneath the phone cradle.

I will most likely work on further preparing the underside surface with a Dremel tool, in order to smooth out the surface; this will allow the induction pad to be affixed directly to the cradle.

Next steps will be to integrate it into the bike's tank; I personally think the fan is a BS design, I typically grab my phone anytime I stop for a quick bite to eat and such - so, I'm not concerned with my phone baking in the Sun. I assume there is some air flow throughout that space while riding; I'll wrestle with whether or not I 86 the fan.

PXL_20230302_091945010~3.jpg

Last edited:
Any forum B/TC members thinking about removing or selling the phone cradle within their TC/B; if so, I would be interested in purchasing it, I'm working on converting the phone compartment to a wireless phone charger. This of course will require the underside to be altered highly with a Dremel and was looking to have a backup while I figure out the electronics.

I started to prototype the concept, which can charge my job iPhone and my Google Pixel 7 thus far; however, the electronics aren't well protected against moisture and such. So I'm now focusing on a waterproof enclosure for the electronics & EMF pad.

If so, feel free to message me directly.

I found an outdoor rated 12V wireless puck, which I started to integrate into the phone compartment cradle; I assembled it earlier this morning, and will try dropping it into the compartment space later today, when I get home from work.

If it fits, than I will integrate the 12V wiring into the wiring harness, and install it permanently. I've already bench tested the puck's charging functionality at 12V, as well as located a compatible location that aligns with the two phones that I have. I decided to try and keep much of the original design intact (Fan, USB-C and Fan Controller).

I had to cut away a portion of the fan assembly, in order to get the puck's magnetic field to align with the phone's coupling sweet spot... The fan assembly, as well as the USB-C / fan controller will be used to secure the wireless puck in place; more to follow:

See attached photos:PXL_20230310_084924256.jpgPXL_20230310_095438245.jpg

I found an outdoor rated 12V wireless puck, which I started to integrate into the phone compartment cradle; I assembled it earlier this morning, and will try dropping it into the compartment space later today, when I get home from work.

If it fits, than I will integrate the 12V wiring into the wiring harness, and install it permanently. I've already bench tested the puck's charging functionality at 12V, as well as located a compatible location that aligns with the two phones that I have. I decided to try and keep much of the original design intact (Fan, USB-C and Fan Controller).

I had to cut away a portion of the fan assembly, in order to get the puck's magnetic field to align with the phone's coupling sweet spot... The fan assembly, as well as the USB-C / fan controller will be used to secure the wireless puck in place; more to follow:

See attached photos:View attachment 9307View attachment 9308
Looks a little bulky...

There's a DIY kit for wireless charging... might be less bulky and could make water resistant by coating it with silicone..

Heres a link... you dont have to use all the coils... and can probably kept the fan because wireless charging really heats up the battery

https://a.co/d/9UFJru0

Edit: I havent used this exact kit, just quickly screenshotted/Linked it for reference.

1678448862719.png

I purchased two different DIY wireless charging kits in order to prototype the concept; the outdoor rated puck that I'm currently working with is now the 3rd test item and is night vs day in terms of quality and robustness.

The current puck design only increases the underside depth by 0.5"; we'll see later today if it fits within the space.

Success: I finished all of the soldering of the wireless puck within the existing wiring box of the USB & Fan Controller module; I had to cut the 12V connector "clip-standoff" off the back of the above mentioned module, in order for the entire assembly to fit back within the compartment space. This also requires tucking the 12V power connector, off to the side and under the left edge of the open space. The fit of the integrated assembly is extremely tight, which required lots of nipping and cutting in order to meet the tight compartment space tolerance; all-in-all, it fits..

I tested two phones (Google Pixel 7 & an iPhone SE model); I started the bike and dropped my Pixel phone into the space with a battery charge at 85%. After letting the bike idle for approx 15 ~ 20 min., the Pixel phone indicated that the battery was now at 91% charge. I used the SCANSTRUT ROKK WIRELESS 10W Waterproof Wireless Phone Charger 12/24V input Hidden Install model.

I'm extremely happy with the outcome of this project; I can now simply drop my phone into the compartment without having to manipulate the USB-C cable and connection.

I just need the Spring season to happen, as today is a wet snowy day...Screenshot_20230311-081252.pngPXL_20230311_120844044.jpg

Last edited:
Success: I finished all of the soldering of the wireless puck within the existing wiring box of the USB & Fan Controller module; I had to cut the 12V connector "clip-standoff" off the back of the above mentioned module, in order for the entire assembly to fit back within the compartment space. This also requires tucking the 12V power connector, off to the side and under the left edge of the open space. The fit of the integrated assembly is extremely tight, which required lots of nipping and cutting in order to meet the tight compartment space tolerance; all-in-all, it fits..

I tested two phones (Google Pixel 7 & an iPhone SE model); I started the bike and dropped my Pixel phone into the space with a battery charge at 85%. After letting the bike idle for approx 15 ~ 20 min., the Pixel phone indicated that the battery was now at 91% charge. I used the SCANSTRUT ROKK WIRELESS 10W Waterproof Wireless Phone Charger 12/24V input Hidden Install model.

[/URL]

I'm extremely happy with the outcome of this project; I can now simply drop my phone into the compartment without having to manipulate the USB-C cable and connection.

I just need the Spring season to happen, as today is a wet snowy day...View attachment 9311View attachment 9312

Question, would you know if that cavity where the phone holder goes in the tank goes all the way through the tank to the frame?

I'm trying to see if I could run a usb c wire through the tank up to my handle bars.

There's a 12V wired connection in that space, underneath the phone compartment, I would think there's a path? I can't say for sure since I haven't tried; wouldn't it be easier to install a USB-C power adapter into the 12V socket on the dashboard?

The USB-C port only provides power to charge the phone, there isn't any sync connection or data transfer happening at that port; all connections to the TFT is wireless.

There's a 12V wired connection in that space, underneath the phone compartment, I would think there's a path? I can't say for sure since I haven't tried; wouldn't it be easier to install a USB-C power adapter into the 12V socket on the dashboard?

The USB-C port only provides power to charge the phone, there isn't any sync connection or data transfer happening at that port; all connections to the TFT is wireless.
It's my whole thing with hacking up a new bike and warranty... dont want to give them any reason to deny a warranty claim..

I even went as far as buying a shunt that meant for the gs to see if it'll plug and play a switch 12v source... but its taking forever to get here

Wut..?? I'm not sure how any of the suggestions would void your warranty.. I was simply suggesting that you plug into the dash socket with something similar to what is pictured below (Wunderlich site):

Screenshot_20230321-132341.png

Last edited:
All I thought about the entire time that I was working on the modification of my wireless phone-cradle, was the idea of having access to a 3D Printer...

Keep working on this... I love the convenience of just dropping my phone into the space without fussing with the USB-C connection... I think of all the pictures I didn't take while out riding, because grabbing the phone was such a hassle due to the USB connector...

Last edited:
Have either of you made any progress on this mod? I just picked up an R18B today, and would love to make this my 1st mod! The 3D printer model replacement insert is exactly what I need. Did this work for you?

Back