What did you do to your R18 today?

Well, I replaced the clutch and brake upper lines with a bit longer ones since I decided to keep the 25mm spacers ..... then went for a ride and ran over a poor snake. Feeling a bit bad about that.... but nothing I could do..... going to fast (65mph)..... at least at that speed there was no chance of it biting me (it was a brown snake.... they can ruin your day/year).

Possibly I'm a hero to a 1,000 birds'n mice or so.

Well, I replaced the clutch and brake upper lines with a bit longer ones since I decided to keep the 25mm spacers ..... then went for a ride and ran over a poor snake. Feeling a bit bad about that.... but nothing I could do..... going to fast (65mph)..... at least at that speed there was no chance of it biting me (it was a brown snake.... they can ruin your day/year).

Possibly I'm a hero to a 1,000 birds'n mice or so.
I didn’t have to replaced the stock brake/clutch lines when I installed the 1” Wild1 riser extensions for the handlebar. I just raised the brackets 1”that I made between the lower and upper brake/clutch lines. I did however use the longer brake/clutch lines (approx 2” longer) when I installed the BMW R18 6.5” mini ape hanger. The 1” bracket are no longer needed with the longer brake/clutch lines.
6.5” handlebar p/n 77229457410
Brake hose p/n 77227923460
Clutch hose p/n 32727923468

I didn’t have to replaced the stock brake/clutch lines when I installed the 1” Wild1 riser extensions for the handlebar. I just raised the brackets 1”that I made between the lower and upper brake/clutch lines. I did however use the longer brake/clutch lines (approx 2” longer) when I installed the BMW R18 6.5” mini ape hanger. The 1” bracket are no longer needed with the longer brake/clutch lines.
6.5” handlebar p/n 77229457410
Brake hose p/n 77227923460
Clutch hose p/n 32727923468
Note: Definitely don’t need the longer harness. Using the 6.5 mini ape hanger makes the installation easier. Running the harness externally is ok if you wrap with the brake and clutch lines.

Attachments

• IMG_2619.jpeg
    IMG_2619.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_2617.jpeg
    IMG_2617.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 29
Well one step forward and two back and expensive lesson learnt .....

Installed the pigtails for heated jacket ... found the connection to the neg battery terminal was loose .....

Started it up and let it run to check everything and set time etc ... checked heated gear worked

All good so far

Put everything back together and thought I'd wipe the side panels with a microfibre cloth and ... yep .... somehow got the cloth on the RHS exhaust header chrome !!!

Tried everything to get it off but TBH its never going to look like new again :(

Anyone know the cost of a new chrome header bit ? is it just a cover ?

Installed the pigtails for heated jacket ... found the connection to the neg battery terminal was loose .....

Started it up and let it run to check everything and set time etc ... checked heated gear worked

All good so far

Put everything back together and thought I'd wipe the side panels with a microfibre cloth and ... yep .... somehow got the cloth on the RHS exhaust header chrome !!!

Tried everything to get it off but TBH its never going to look like new again :(

So sorry to hear that. Have a look at this post in case you find it useful.

https://www.r18forums.com/threads/burned-cover-on-pipes.2531/#post-35429

Reactions: SPR

All good so far

New header is around $2350 in the USA

All good so far

Try EZ-off oven cleaner and take you time. It will come off. Don't be tempted to use anything like steel wool or any abrasive polishing compound.

Actually not a flippen thing other than ride her back and forth to work (and enjoyed the $hit out of it) .. but ... brothers and sisters around the world ... I have to say that, there are days 'As good as it gets' ... I sat on the back porch talking to some Irish Spirits and playing with the dog ... and I walked in the shop to this:
IMG_20231020_202022501.jpg

.. and I thought: some days it's just as good as it gets !!! ... and I hope you all have one of them days!!!
... and I have to stop posting drunk 😁

Looks great, how did you mount the zumo?
Zumo XT2 came with a u bolt mount so I used that, put different mounts on my other bikes so this one was still sitting in the box. I used a usb c cable into an adapter for the dash socket. Garmin says to hard wire but I’ve been using usb plug for juice on my Guzzi and it works flawless. Saves from doing any wiring.

Even for shorter rides and no planned route i like having the Garmin map for orientation and on new roads to be able to judge how fast I can take a curve. I tend to ride fast and figure i have less margin for error with this new beast. 😄

Back