What did you do to your R18 today?

Installed an ornamental part today ...
... and I don't like things that could rattle, so I ran some trim-tape around the inside edge before I set it in place (I guess I should have taken pics of that)
now it will guaranteed not rattle !!
It was a lot easier to install than I thought ... actually if I didn't have the crashbars, all I would have to do is take the cover off the 'snowplow' (oil cooler).
This said, everywhere was gobs of thread locker ... just not on the oil cooler cover, there was 0 and the bolts were finger tight at best ...
well there is thread locker on there now :) .. you may want to check theses bolts on your bike.

View attachment 10689

View attachment 10691

Fits real nice with the Roland Sands valve covers ..

At this time also a really BIG shout-out to "OscarTGrouch" for making me an offer I couldn't refuse and being a stand-up guy!!!
THANKS! (y)
Looks great!

• Haha
Reactions: Ali
What did I do on my R18 yesterday? LOL, Well I did an Iron Butt Ride that took me far longer than I really thought it would! 1235 miles around the state lines of Arkansas!, took 23 hours, & one visit with a local sheriff in SW Arkansas ( I talked my way out of that one!;) ) Requirements were to ride through 6 towns in each corner in sequence ( Blytheville, Piggott, Gravette, Foreman, Fouke, Eudora, back to Blytheville.) All but about 100 miles on two lane roads! Missed one family of porcupines and two Armadillos! About half of the ride was in 95-99 Heat (Arkansas summer) Started at 0232, finished 0129 the next morning. I really want the name of the ride changed to Arkansas Border Patrol LOL

Attachments

• IBA around Arkansas.png
    IBA around Arkansas.png
    980 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
What did I do on my R18 yesterday? LOL, Well I did an Iron Butt Ride that took me far longer than I really thought it would! 1235 miles around the state lines of Arkansas!, took 23 hours, & one visit with a local sheriff in SW Arkansas ( I talked my way out of that one!;) ) Requirements were to ride through 6 towns in each corner in sequence ( Blytheville, Piggott, Gravette, Foreman, Fouke, Eudora, back to Blytheville.) All but about 100 miles on two lane roads! Missed one family of porcupines and two Armadillos! About half of the ride was in 95-99 Heat (Arkansas summer) Started at 0232, finished 0129 the next morning. I really want the of the ride changed to Arkansas Border Patrol LOL
Well done! 🍻

first class swedish thick aluminum fender + old school fender mount with hidden mounting points. Holan Heritage Garage product
View attachment 10699View attachment 10700View attachment 10701
I’m assuming you removed the headers prior to installing the wraps, right? If so, did you reuse the gaskets when reinstalling? Also, did you use the same silver-colored, high temp lubricant/sealant that goes when changing mufflers? What torque would be adequate for the headers?

Btw and as I already mentioned before, this is a really nice setup. This one can easily compete with the custom R18s currently considered for the contest that BMW has going on.

I’m assuming you removed the headers prior to installing the wraps, right? If so, did you reuse the gaskets when reinstalling? Also, did you use the same silver-colored, high temp lubricant/sealant that goes when changing mufflers? What torque would be adequate for the headers?

Btw and as I already mentioned before, this is a really nice setup. This one can easily compete with the custom R18s currently considered for the contest that BMW has going on.
ad.1 - no
ad.2 - this is not my competition model - this one is for everyday pleasure. my competition model in the photo below
007A1829.JPGIMG_3453.jpeg

Wunderlich advised me all of the R18TC/B bag protection bars are the new model since they were reintroduced on their site.
I had one of the few sets of first batch which I returned and was informed they were destroyed with all other old stock.
At that point they removed the item from their website until it was reintroduced some months later.
The current/new model mounts on the same points and the issue is completely resolved/eliminated.
I enjoy having them on my TC and they really do the bike right in form and function.
Hope this is helpful.

LOL

I'm going to try and drop my bike off later today at the service shop, in order for them to investigate the Adaptive Headlight issue; as well as, purchase the 6k maintenance items. It looks like the transmission takes three (3) bottles of the same fluid used in the rear drive; that in itself is going to exceed $200. Not to mention crush rings and gaskets, engine oil, air and oil filter... Oh yeah.. oil filter wrench..
Trans, I thought takes 1.2 liters... so you have 300 ml left, enough to do the 210 ml in the final drive, with 90 ml to spare.

Trans, I thought takes 1.2 liters... so you have 300 ml left, enough to do the 210 ml in the final drive, with 90 ml to spare.
It looks like 1.15 L for the Transmission and 210 mL for the Rear-Wheel Drive; I probably only needed to purchase three bottles opposed to four.. The extra bottle won't go to waste, I plan on replacing the final drive at least once a year.

I've heard from several different BMW techs, while researching buying a R 18, that the 600 mile change has really dirty oil and a lot of iron filing type metal needs to be dug out of the magnetic drain plug pocket, before reinstalling. Results from metal are much better in terms of less metal, when the 6000 service is done.

I'm guessing a lot of burnishing and fine polishing is going on during the break in process of wearing in, with whatever oil they use for break in. Probably a conventional hypoid gear oil, since it is designed to be disposed of pretty quick.

I found the Rear-Wheel Gear & Transmission with what looked like A LOT of fine particles collected at the magnetic point on the drain and filler plugs at the 6k miles service (Transmission Filler Plug has a Magnetic Cap)

Back