What did you do to your R18 today?

It has a sleeve on the back with bars you set to fit your sissy bar. The other sleeve that goes up and down is velcro and you set it to the height it needs to rest at if you don't have a luggage rack (I have the Roadstyler sissy bar and luggage rack, so won't use the vertical support). The bars on the outside have like 4 slots per side to get the snug with various shapes/sizes of sissy bars. There's also a security clip at the very bottom that you can attach below the sissy bar ring/rest to make sure there's no way it can move upward. Once you get it set to your size, it takes about 30 seconds to put on/take off.

Main bag is 39 liters, removable roll top is 16 liters. Comes with removable backpacks straps and a shoulder strap.

Had it on a wishlist since like October, and finally saw it drop to $230 shipped, so pulled the trigger for rally season.
View attachment 9699
Waterproof ?

Attachments

• 20220428_135222.jpg
    20220428_135222.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 16
Great bikes.
I have a 2015 Red Carbon.
Possibly a bit more raucous than the 1260.
The 1260 seems a little bigger but still a great bike.
If you think the 1260 is a "cruiser" bike you will be sorely disappointed.
It felt like a big R9T or a Triumph speed triple on steroids.
Wasn't my cup of tea, maybe if I were 27 or so.
I have to say I loved the mad acceleration and the sound tho'.
Knackered at the end of a 40 min test ride with pulse way off the charts...

Gonna look at the other end of the spectrum for a fun city bike that can filter to add..

Thanks for the comment ;-)

Last edited:
I felt like a big R9T or a Triumph speed triple on steroids.
Wasn't my cup of tea, maybe if I were 27 or so.
I have to say I loved the mad acceleration and the sound tho'.
Knackered at the end of a 40 min test ride with pulse way off the charts...

Gonna look at the other end of the spectrum for a fun city bike that can filter to add..

Thanks for the comment ;-)
lol
I had a feeling it wasnt what you were looking for. :)
I like your analogy "a R9T on steroids."
Ive made similar statements.
Diavels are beasts.
I dont find them THAT fatiguing, though it is much more so than something like an R18.

The seat is actually very comfortable. It has a bit of flex built into it on top of the thin layer of foam.
Beats the hell out of the brutal stock seat.
Not hard to improve on that thing! I still have a hard time believing that they released the bike with that seat on it! I'm jealous of your LMC haul. I really love their stuff.

Last edited:
I'm thinking about doing the same. Did you get std length or the (+20 or -20?) I'm planning on getting the std.
After speaking to them I ordered the standard as the longer shock adds no real increase in suspension travel.
My bike is a bobber now so I don’t really need any additional ride height.

I'm thinking about doing the same. Did you get std length or the (+20 or -20?) I'm planning on getting the std.
Fwiw.... I just (also) ordered a Wilbers shock (and their front fork springs).... I'm in Australia..... I went with the +20.... the suspension place over here (good rep).... did say that "Wilbers know what they are doing and wouldn't offer it if it wasn't something worth doing"..... I could not find any real facts on it though.... I was a bit concerned about the affect on the rear end visuals.... but.... it is only 20mm.

My reason for the plus 20 was.... a bit more peg clearance... but not much really I guess (10 to 15mm?).... also.... possibly a bit more travel.... but I couldn't confirm that.... and.... I can't imagine how 20mm could ruin the look of the bike.... pitty that those kn this forum who have done it don't share their experience.

Probally safer to just pay the extra for the +-5mm adjustor to give +-15mm!

Did anyone buying the Wilber’s look at the Hyperpro/Touratech with / without the compression feature ? What was your reason for choosing the Wilber’s rear shock ( price/ reputation/ quality etc) ?

Fwiw.... I just (also) ordered a Wilbers shock (and their front fork springs).... I'm in Australia..... I went with the +20.... the suspension place over here (good rep).... did say that "Wilbers know what they are doing and wouldn't offer it if it wasn't something worth doing"..... I could not find any real facts on it though.... I was a bit concerned about the affect on the rear end visuals.... but.... it is only 20mm.

My reason for the plus 20 was.... a bit more peg clearance... but not much really I guess (10 to 15mm?).... also.... possibly a bit more travel.... but I couldn't confirm that.... and.... I can't imagine how 20mm could ruin the look of the bike.... pitty that those kn this forum who have done it don't share their experience.

Probally safer to just pay the extra for the +-5mm adjustor to give +-15mm!
Can you take a photo before / after shock replacement.

Did anyone buying the Wilber’s look at the Hyperpro/Touratech with / without the compression feature ? What was your reason for choosing the Wilber’s rear shock ( price/ reputation/ quality etc) ?
When doing research a few years ago for my R nine t Scrambler.... I came to the conclusion that Ohlins, Wilbers and Nitron were the top tier.... YSS, Hyperpro etc were a good choice if funds didn't stretch to the top tier choices. Further to that.... for non race type application.... so road riding for normal people.... one didn't need to spend extra on Ohlins.... so Wilber or Nitron it was.

Then, for some one like me, who rides solo.... medium weight with gear (85kg).... then for the r nine t and R18 "pure" riding real world roads with corners and poorish surfaces.... then the suspension really really really improves with some work. I went Nitron with my r nine t..... very happy. I went Wilburs this time mostly because the R18 is a heavier bike and the wilbers runs a 16mm shaft and 46mm piston.... the Nitron... for similar money runs 14mm and 40mm....

And... I intend to keep the bikes long term... so would just wait a bit and save the few hundred dollars to get a Wilbers over a cheaper one....

I will also add... for the r nine t and R18.... Wilbers/Nitron know there stuff.... and one does 't need 3 dampening adjusters.... one combined adjuster on a properly designed and set shock is fine for every day road riding.... so I just get the basic shock.... and my load doesn't vary so no fancy pre load adjuster needed either.

Last edited:
Can you take a photo before / after shock replacement.
I will do that.... I'm a bit underwhelmed how little real technical content there is on these bikes.... much more available on the r nine t forums.... even given time in market.... I can find very little suspension dialogue.... forks especially.

Last edited:
I didnt like how there was nothing to break up the brushed aluminum piston covers so I designed and manufactured some custom piston cover trim parts. BMW has aluminum versions for $600 USD and I didnt want to spend that much just to add some definition to the pistons. I can have more produced if anyone is interested.
R18PistonCovs.jpg

Back