What did you do to your R18 today?

I installed the Wunderlich stainless steel oil cooler protection grill today; I'm now thinking of painting it flat black as the stainless draws unwanted attention (at least to my eyes).
I was afraid of that. It’s a great looking accessory before install, but instead of improving the appearance it puts a spotlight on the poor design of the oil cooler. Seems a shame to paint such an expensive part.

Finally took my bike out on a ride since the weather has been particularly bad in my area for a while. Got a chance to test the Clearview windshield that I got off of DG6n26 (Thanks again!) and it a considerable upgrade over the stock one, and looks better in my opinion too.

The only downside I had with todays ride is that it seems my battery is going out. Had it on a tender for a bit before taking it out, but it still need a jump to get going, and every time I got off the bike. Hopefully it gets covered by the warranty, but will have to see,

I was afraid of that. It’s a great looking accessory before install, but instead of improving the appearance it puts a spotlight on the poor design of the oil cooler. Seems a shame to paint such an expensive part.
I remember that there was a discussion here regarding if these cooler covers had a negative impact on cooling efficiency, but I don't recall if that was just theoretical or real-world. Has anybody with these covers experienced an increase in over-heating while in traffic in hot weather?

I remember that there was a discussion here regarding if these cooler covers had a negative impact on cooling efficiency, but I don't recall if that was just theoretical or real-world. Has anybody with these covers experienced an increase in over-heating while in traffic in hot weather?
I only installed the stainless wire-mesh cover ($60 Wunderlich-bucks), not the Wunderlich chrome oil cooler housing. I've never experienced overheating since ownership of my R18 B; however, I can see how the wire-mesh adds additional protection from a larger object striking the oil cooler, which would normally bend the heatsink fins on said oil cooler.

The mesh spacing doesn't look like it would restrict or impede airflow; that said, I feel comfortable installing it without any concerns of degrading cooling performance.

I'm definitely removing it today in order to paint it black and re-installing it; the shine of the stainless steel draws too much unwanted attention in my eyes.

I'll post before - after photos..

1674400427209.png

1674400491483.png

Last edited:
I only installed the stainless wire-mesh cover ($60 Wunderlich-bucks), not the Wunderlich chrome oil cooler housing. I've never experienced overheating since ownership of my R18 B; however, I can see how the wire-mesh adds additional protection from a larger object striking the oil cooler, which would normally bend the heatsink fins on said oil cooler.

The mesh spacing doesn't look like it would restrict or impede airflow; that said, I feel comfortable installing it without any concerns of degrading cooling performance.

I'm definitely removing it today in order to paint it black and re-installing it; the shine of the stainless steel draws too much unwanted attention in my eyes.

I'll post before - after photos..

View attachment 8747

View attachment 8748

PAINTED..!! I'll be able to sleep peacefully tonight ..

The owner of this motorcycle sat on my bike yesterday:
52639961252_d0378186fd_b.jpg

He said, “this is the most comfortable motorcycle I’ve ever sat on before” about my TransCon. Later, he looked up the price and realized he could have bought my bike for about 5-6K less than it cost him to build out his custom bike. The only thing the TC lacks compared to his is the amazing sound system. His music sounded amazing so I’m pretty jealous if I was into that sort of thing.

But he was definitely having some jealously sitting on my bike moving it around under him.

he did say one thing that made me laugh. He said he can barely see over his front fairing with his huge wheel.

The owner of this motorcycle sat on my bike yesterday:
52639961252_d0378186fd_b.jpg

He said, “this is the most comfortable motorcycle I’ve ever sat on before” about my TransCon. Later, he looked up the price and realized he could have bought my bike for about 5-6K less than it cost him to build out his custom bike. The only thing the TC lacks compared to his is the amazing sound system. His music sounded amazing so I’m pretty jealous if I was into that sort of thing.

But he was definitely having some jealously sitting on my bike moving it around under him.

he did say one thing that made me laugh. He said he can barely see over his front fairing with his huge wheel.
Those big wheel bikes are ridiculous.

Those big wheel bikes are ridiculous.

I’d like to drive one just out of morbid curiosity but there’s no way this is more than something you just ride a few miles to a bike show then ride home. I can’t imagine it tracks straight without needing constant inputs on the highway or is ergonomically comfortable on the lower back or shoulder.s

Question to R18Holan.....how is the ergonimics of this leg rest ? are your legs brought up too high ? seems like it would cause the calves to be stretched horizontal ? an I wrong ?
I don't know yet because I just installed it today after work. It is an addition to the boredom of a long drive. it won't get any worse ;)

Question to R18Holan.....how is the ergonimics of this leg rest ? are your legs brought up too high ? seems like it would cause the calves to be stretched horizontal ? an I wrong ?
I've rested my legs directly on the cylinders before, this shouldn't be that much worse than that, with the added benefit of being able to do so longer since it won't get hot as quickly. This rest is only about 1" above the cylinders, so you should be able to try resting your legs direct on cylinders for a proxy and lift them one inch.

My R18 went to the dealer today after having starting problems that relate to the Battery ??? the technican said the battery is good for two years ???? wow only two years ? jp

Back