What Bike Would You Trade Your R18 for?

Calboy

One other thing I would like to know is if trading in your R18 or simply selling it has ever crossed your mind.
I know it did cross mine, especially in the last month, month and a half.
I would like to pull the trigger sooner rather than later. Not happy with the actual trade in value of my 2021 FE.
All that considered I just spent about $1,500 in accessories in the last two weeks. I must be either confused, stupid, or both!

I'm normally one to never say never, for who really knows what one may face down the road of life... but I can see my R18 being with me for as long as I can ride (I'm 62). Of course it is not my only bike.... but somehow it has captivated me... much the same as a puppy/dog.

If one day riding it was becoming too risky, I would implement a plan I have to reduce the risk by 50%, then as further years pass I have an additional plan for further reduction of risk.

The first plan is to ride it only every second day.... yes I am an ideas man..... then when I become further decrepid, ride it once a week. When the wife finally has had enough, a further 50% reduction would be implemented (yep, wife goes).

I sold my ‘21 TC and bought a ‘22 K1600 GTL Exclusive. However, my wife is making me regret that. The GTL does everything better than the TC, but it’s not just as fun to ride. And the GTL is missing ACC. My wife thought that the TC with the Option 719 seat was the most comfortable for her of all the bikes I’ve had.

And yeah, as soon as you ride your R18 out of the dealership, trade-in value will plummet.

One other thing I would like to know is if trading in your R18 or simply selling it has ever crossed your mind.
I would like to pull the trigger sooner rather than later. Not happy with the actual trade in value of my 2021 FE.
All that considered I just spent about $1,500 in accessories in the last two weeks. I must be either confused, stupid, or both!
Think many if not all of us are vulnerable to feeling the wobbles, especially over winter. Let’s remember the whole industry is based around what’s new, what’s the must have bike, what’s being launched this year, all the reviews in exotic sunny locations with dolly birds, selling a lifestyle you can have too! The PCP finance model of high prices, then changing every 3 years bakes that cycle in.

Our R18’s have had their moment in the Sun and feature nowhere really, in the press, it’s all been said and done, good or bad. One reason why this forum is so valuable.

To answer your question, what would I go for….tough one….really don’t know, I can’t foresee not ever having a bike so probably something like a a Royal Enfield Classic 350. Over here (UK) we are being screwed down by ever lower speed limits, through villages, towns, cities and even the countryside, speed cameras are everywhere so performance is almost irrelevant. I’m not for one minute advocating riding like an idiot btw it’s just that it takes the joy out of going anywhere because they do try to catch you. Anyhow, the 350 cruises at 55-60mph and it’s good looking, cheap, simple and proven. What’s not to like?

IMG_1628.jpeg

Last edited:
That question has not crossed my mind at all. I am not able to have more than one bike due to garage space. If I were to have another bike or feel I can’t live with the B anymore then definitely I would get another M109R (VZR 1800) in the UK.

Where I am (Manitoba Canada) Owning & riding more than one bike at a time is tough when it comes to insurance as it's not cheap here.
I bounce around from wanting a bike like my R18B one day then wishing I had a GS/GSA for meandering around on gravel roads as we have a lot of them here that are quiet and fun to explore.

If/When I do decide to give up my B I'm sure it'll be for a gravel road friendly option only to at times wish I still had the R18B....
The struggle is real.....

I AM trading my R18TC in tomorrow for a 2023 R1250RT (new, Demo). It is more in line with the type of riding I enjoy. Not entirely disappointed with the R18 TC, but it just doesnt have the leg a R1200RT/ 1250RT or even a K1600GTL has. Almost 1000 pounds is another. there have been times I have had trouble standing the bike up. (getting old I guess) The Bags are much smaller including the top box, I cannot even fit my Schuberth C4Pro in the top box! The windscreen is still a irritant to me also. I put 8800 miles on the bike, so I gave it a chance to let me get accustom to it. Couple of other quirks but nothing major. It almost needs a bigger tank or another gear to make it a distance bike. While I can and have done Iron butt rides on the R18 it is consistently proven to add 1 to 1.5 hours to accomplish 1000 in 24. and pushing 1500 mile in 24 to the limit. The RT's and GTL I have had can do that in about 16-17 hours. Leaving wiggle room for bad weather and other problems that happen. The deal on the R1250RT that I got that was icing on the cake and convinced to me pull the trigger.

Well, the R18 is a niche bike and I wouldn't trade it. I will eventually need a new ADVtourer, the GS will become a PanAmerica or AfricaTwin

I had a Classic and traded it. I missed it and bought a Pure that I love and will not depart with. It is my exit bike —when I can no longer ride on two, it will get a sidecar. In the meantime, my GSA is the trading stock. Maybe an R18B?

I AM trading my R18TC in tomorrow for a 2023 R1250RT (new, Demo). It is more in line with the type of riding I enjoy. Not entirely disappointed with the R18 TC, but it just doesnt have the leg a R1200RT/ 1250RT or even a K1600GTL has. Almost 1000 pounds is another. there have been times I have had trouble standing the bike up. (getting old I guess) The Bags are much smaller including the top box, I cannot even fit my Schuberth C4Pro in the top box! The windscreen is still a irritant to me also. I put 8800 miles on the bike, so I gave it a chance to let me get accustom to it. Couple of other quirks but nothing major. It almost needs a bigger tank or another gear to make it a distance bike. While I can and have done Iron butt rides on the R18 it is consistently proven to add 1 to 1.5 hours to accomplish 1000 in 24. and pushing 1500 mile in 24 to the limit. The RT's and GTL I have had can do that in about 16-17 hours. Leaving wiggle room for bad weather and other problems that happen. The deal on the R1250RT that I got that was icing on the cake and convinced to me pull the trigger.
How Bad of a hit on the Trade did you get ?

Back