RSD Engine Cover

Ulrich

Well look what came in the mail from MAX BMW 😃

Chest Plate 01.jpg

... and it came really fast considering they are on the other end of the country ... at this time a big shout out to them, they always come through for me!!

Now ... this needs to go there

Chest Plate 02.jpg

So first I looked around and found some instructions ( from BMW ... can you believe it???)
Unfortunately I can't seem to attach the .pdf here ... so here is a link to it INSTALLATION INSTRUCTION LINK you have to
Look under R-Series Heritage and then find your model and the part you want to install ... you figure it out ;)

So in the wheel chock Uschi goes and a jack under the engine ... but just enough so it firmly touches

Chest Plate 03.jpg

First I took off the crash bars and the foot peg assembly
I took a shortcut and didn't completely remove the linkage ... just held them up
with a bungee cord.

Chest Plate 04.jpg

And the oil cooler cover needs to go too.

Chest Plate 05.jpg

... and the horn ... then I went about splitting the frame.

Chest Plate 06.jpg

Chest Plate 07.jpg

Easy piece ...and the old chest plate off ... watch it .. there is 1 bolt under the batch!

Chest Plate 08.jpg

Chest Plate 09.jpg

... to be continued

... continued

Test fit the new one

Chest Plate 10.jpg

Fits!!! ... I always put in all screws just finger tight and then remove one ... add Locktite and then torque it down
All done with the new pretty part !

Chest Plate 11.jpg

The I put the 2 frame pieces on ... BMW suggests you buy new bolts so you can have more of that F$%$#ing threadlocker they use!
No flippen way, I ran the old bolts on a wire wheel and removed all that $hit of theirs and used good old blue Locktite!!!
I checked all the threads of the bolts against a nut and made sure they were clean and good then ran them in and out
every hole to make double sure. installed the parts as I did with everything .. tighten all finger tight and then
remove each one, add Locktite (blue) and torque them down ... that is where the instructions came in handy .. there is torque values!!

Chest Plate 13A.jpg

So everything in reverse and the crash bars back on ... WoooHooo I like it!!!

Chest Plate 14.jpg

Chest Plate 15.jpg

Done and done ... If somebody has use for one of these (not the whole chest plate ... just the add on pretty) send me a personal message I am sure we can figure something out.

Chest Plate 12.jpg

Last edited:
Back