Reverse went out

Update: I got an appointment sooner. So it’s set for the 15th!! Hopefully I get an answer now. I had to rewrite the orig file since I had BT Moto on it… strange enough.. before I installed the BT Moto I Never had this issue.. only 1 time at 130 miles. Strange?

Last edited:
Yea I read this.. my lever stays down though.. also I forgot to mention that when I put the lever back in the normal position the R takes time to disappear. Like 15 seconds or more. That’s why I’m leaning more towards software / a control problem vs a mechanical issue..
Ah, okay...yeah, that's an interesting issue. And, when you do normal shifting, gears 1 - 6 have no issues reporting to your display?

Again, in the microfiche, there is a transmission gear sensor. Absent software upgrade/downgrades, a quick shade tree sanity check would be to pop it off the transmission housing and ensuring that no metal bits are stuck on the sensor itself.

Transmission Sensor.png

Your situation could very well be software related, or it could also happen to be a well-timed hardware issue. Who knows? 🤷‍♂️

Mike

Ah, okay...yeah, that's an interesting issue. And, when you do normal shifting, gears 1 - 6 have no issues reporting to your display?

Again, in the microfiche, there is a transmission gear sensor. Absent software upgrade/downgrades, a quick shade tree sanity check would be to pop it off the transmission housing and ensuring that no metal bits are stuck on the sensor itself.

View attachment 11230

Your situation could very well be software related, or it could also happen to be a well-timed hardware issue. Who knows? 🤷‍♂️

Mike
No issues shifting gears, takes it like a champ. Got the appointment for tomorrow at 9am. Now I need to try and figure out how to sleep with this much anxiety.

Okay I got another update, the dealer just did the driveshaft relube update and then diag that the “reverser” is faulty electronically. They will need a new module of some sorts that will come 3 weeks from now since there are none in the United States… so riding with no reverse for the next 3 weeks. I was offered extended warranty for 3 years unlimited miles at $1,700. The sales person said it will cover everything like an OEM warranty and this one is from RPM I think. Any thoughts? Bike only has 519 miles on it and my warranty expires Oct 10th. I just got it not to long ago with 89 miles so I’m trying to rack them up but with some assurances..

Last edited:
Okay I got another update, the dealer just did the driveshaft relive update and then diag that the “reverser” is faulty electronically. They will need a new module of some sorts that will come 3 weeks from now since there are none in the United States… so riding with no reverse for the next 3 weeks. I was offered extended warranty for 3 years unlimited miles at $1,700. The sales person said it will cover everything like an OEM warranty and this one is from RPM I think. Any thoughts? Bike only has 519 miles on it and my warranty expires Oct 10th. I just got it not to long ago with 89 miles so I’m trying to rack them up but with some assurances..

Of course they're trying to sell you an extended warranty - that's what all vehicle dealers try to do. Usually they are a terrible deal for the consumer.

Of course they're trying to sell you an extended warranty - that's what all vehicle dealers try to do. Usually they are a terrible deal for the consumer.
I thought so too, but then I thought, in the next 3 years if the headlight stops working it has paid for itself and some… I’m not advocating it but just trying to pro and con it.

I also found another company called discount ESP that warranties the bike even if you have a tune and aftermarket accessories.

https://www.discountesp.com/motorcycle-coverage/

I’m waiting for the dealer to send me the break down of the RPMPLUS SPORT VSC so I can see what it includes and I might get a quote from the ESP one too. I just don’t want the bike out of warranty if it’s only 1500-2000 of an expense for 3 years of coverage.

100% agree. IMHO, vehicle extended warranties aren't worth the paper they're printed on. If you read the fine print, they usually give themselves a LOT of ways out of covering your damaged part. Plus, they generally state they can also use junkyard replacements (the ones that I know of) and give you onerous conditions you need to follow in order to qualify for said repair.

Mike

Update, the part number is 61 35 9 444 031. Not available for 3 more weeks. Running the part number does show a control unit for the reverse! So we all learned ;). Looks like it retails for around $750. So warranty is coming in handy here.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-08-16 at 8.39.41 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-16 at 8.39.41 PM.png
    129.9 KB · Views: 13
That’s great. Regarding warranty I have a year left on mine so have been considering what to do about that (if anything). My thoughts are that hopefully any bugs in the bike will have long shown themselves by then anyway.

I thought so too, but then I thought, in the next 3 years if the headlight stops working it has paid for itself and some… I’m not advocating it but just trying to pro and con it.
Worth investigating the options as they apply to you, given that your bike is low milage and you probally paid a lot less for it then what they went for back in 20/21.... the piece of mind might be worth it for you. This is especially a thing for those that hang out on bike related forums where one always gets a distorted view around issues regarding the bike (issues are discussed way out of proportion to everyday good news... which can rock ones confidence a bit).

I would have the dealer in mind that I expect to take the bike to... and discuss and get an idea from them about how cooperative etc they are likely to be. Like most things.... one will be an expert at the end of the policy term.

For me... I'll probally not take one out.... as the odd $2k thing, should it happen, whilst annoying, doesn't impact my life.... but whilst I bought a 2021 model demo last year, it was only first rego'd this time last year.... so I still have 2 years warranty.

In your case... low miles but a few years old.... your bike is in a bit of a holding pattern as far as the "early life failure" concept goes.... normally it is a combination/function of time and use..... so that tips the odds a bit in favour of doing it.... as proportional use hasn't occured.

Last edited:
1600 miles on the TC…while using reverse it simply crapped out. Has anyone else had reverse stop working? Come Tuesday I will be scheduling a service call with my BMW shop.
My B reverse drops out ocassionally. It happens on hot days so I reckon there may be temperature protection somewhere in the works.

Transmission replaced folks. The service advisor reported the change out was relatively straight forward. That said, the entire engine had to be removed from the bike in order for the transmission to be swapped.
The technician has done a great job and the bike operates as it should, complete with, drum roll please… a functional reverse gear which I tested backing up the sloping driveway. Apparently the nut that secures the driveshaft needs to be upgraded and as it hadn’t arrived will be replaced when it lands at the dealer.
Different noises ? the new gearbox “chirps”… or is a little “whiney” under load and when one backs off on the throttle. A day after picking the bike up from the workshop, I called the (every helpful) service advisor to report this. He immediately responded that the technician who changed the transmission mentioned the same noise after returning from the test run. Relax, he said as a new R18 on the floor fitted with an equivalent current transmission makes a similar noise. We shared a view that it may just be the transmission is “tight” and needs to run-in. Time will tell.
Either way, I’m curious if new R18 transmissions sound a bit whiney when new. I don’t recall from when I first picked up this 2021 R18 First Edition. But then it was a demo.
Overall, I can report the dealer was very supportive of this warranty claim. Photos of the reverse plagued transmission attached.

Attachments

• R18_Trans_1.jpg
    R18_Trans_1.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 18
  • R18_Trans_2.jpg
    R18_Trans_2.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 18
  • R18_Trans_3.jpg
    R18_Trans_3.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 18
Thank you for sharing and glad you got her back. Mine does make a winning noise when I reverse but it is the same noise I have heard on different YT videos and reviews. And a shout to your dealer for taking care of things as they should.

Well, folks, the whining sound from the new transmission is … distracting. Anyone with any ideas as to the cause… I’m all ears. I’ll make another inquiry with the dealer to confirm oil of the correct specification was filled, plus the quantity. But crikey ! The whining noise is distracting 🫤

Well, folks, the whining sound from the new transmission is … distracting. Anyone with any ideas as to the cause… I’m all ears. I’ll make another inquiry with the dealer to confirm oil of the correct specification was filled, plus the quantity. But crikey ! The whining noise is distracting 🫤
If you can, have a look at YouTube videos showing the bike reversing and then compare the sound with the one your bike makes.I will say watch a couple of them as they may not sound the same but after a few videos you should be able to recognise the signature sound and then compare this with yours. If yours is well different to the ones on YouTube then definitely there is an issue.
The other option is to get someone to video you or record your bike whilst going on reverse and then post it here so we can all have a go at analysing the sound.

Is the "whining sound" heard when using Reverse or while riding the bike?

My bike definitely has a "whining" sound when I use the reverse option, which is everytime I ride; I would describe it as an electric motor gear assembly, similar to an electric winch.

Only when riding normally. I've tested the reverse gear and it was fine.
Sooooo, I was just explaining this to my gorgeous wife... then is struck me, I also had the rear bevel gear oil changed. so I checked the invoice itemisations.
There are itemisations for the O-ring & the diff washer - that's a good start.
Guess what .... There is no itemisation or cost for the oil in the rear bevel gear. You know, the fluid everyone comments about - because its not cheap.
The jury is out folks... I'll call the workshop tomorrow and make further inquiries.
Logically, the next question... how long can the R18 run without oil in the rear bevel gear compartment ? :oops:o_Oo_Oo_O
Tune in for the next exciting episode! :unsure:🤷‍♂️
😎

Back