Reverse shift lever mod?

You need to lean over quite a bit to reach the OEM reverse lever.
Which is ok but not really practical.
And sometimes it needs several manipulations to lock it in reverse, while braking with the rignt hand.
Their solution is kitsch looking, but fun, and interesting.
Well, I like it.
And not interested in butt plugs though ... 🤣 :cool:

That is funny. I think in time we will all be able to find reverse quickly. I have a gold wing and it’s much easier. The gold wing is much smoother in reverse. TheR18 seemed to jerk when I hit the button.
David

I plan on turning this R18 into a trike when I am old.

I knew a few riders who put hand shifters on their Indians. Not something I find interesting. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.
I've never had a use for heel shifters since 1971, when my first motorcycle, a Bridgestone, had rotary shifting with toe & heel. My Road Star had one that I had to cut off. My Roadliner had one that annoyed me so much that I removed it within 20 miles of the dealership on the day that I bought it.

I've tried out the reverse on the R18 and it works fine, but I haven't yet been in a situation where I needed it.

You need to lean over quite a bit to reach the OEM reverse lever.
Which is ok but not really practical.
And sometimes it needs several manipulations to lock it in reverse, while braking with the rignt hand.
Their solution is kitsch looking, but fun, and interesting.
Well, I like it.
And not interested in butt plugs though ... 🤣 :cool:
You have to raise your leg really high to get on a real motorcycle. A Vespa on the other hand.....

Last edited:
While your at it, get that forcacamamy toe shifter doodad up where it belongs. They even come in John Deere Greene.

Attachments

• s-l225-1.jpg
    s-l225-1.jpg
    2.7 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
I knew a few riders who put hand shifters on their Indians. Not something I find interesting. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.
I've never had a use for heel shifters since 1971, when my first motorcycle, a Bridgestone, had rotary shifting with toe & heel. My Road Star had one that I had to cut off. My Roadliner had one that annoyed me so much that I removed it within 20 miles of the dealership on the day that I bought it.

I've tried out the reverse on the R18 and it works fine, but I haven't yet been in a situation where I needed it.
I had 2 Bridgestone 175 with rotary shift. I also had a 350 with out rotary shift. It had a dry multi plate clutch. The brake and shift were on the "wrong" side.
Thanks for the memories.
David

I had 2 Bridgestone 175 with rotary shift. I also had a 350 with out rotary shift. It had a dry multi plate clutch. The brake and shift were on the "wrong" side.
Thanks for the memories.
David
WOW! You really liked the Bridgestones.

Last edited:
That was the rattling sound when you pulled on the clutch lever. You never wondered about that noise? Holly crap on a cracker Batman.
"I have never heard of a dry multi-plate clutch on a motorcycle. Was it in a sealed compartment or was it vented to the outside? I'm wondering if it made a lot of dust."
The R18 has a dry clutch.
You owned a Ducati??????
Where do you think the worn clutch particles go on an Indian? Siberia??????

Last edited:
That was the rattling sound when you pulled on the clutch lever. You never wondered about that noise? Holly crap on a cracker Batman.
...Was it in a sealed compartment or was it vented to the outside? I'm wondering if it made a lot of dust."
The R18 has a dry clutch.
You owned a Ducati??????
Where do you think the worn clutch particles go on an Indian? Siberia??????
Yes. The Ducati has a dry clutch. A single plate dry clutch, much like an automotive dry clutch. VERY different from a Duck and the reason that it doesn't rattle.
Yes. I owned a Ducati 900 SS/SP. See below, which shows TWO bikes with dry clutches.

Ducati 900 SS_SP & BMW R50.jpg

Vented dry clutches toss their particles all about the vicinity, including outside the engine, if their not enclosed. Wet clutches pollute the engine oil with their wear particles. Modern Indians have wet clutches, so their oil filter also has the job of collecting clutch debris.

My Bridgestone 350 had a multi disc dry clutch that looks like a wet one with the spline for the plates and basket for the 5? frictions. If the frictions broke, they could wad up and not let the clutch release.

The R-18 has a single dry clutch.

My 2000 R1100 RT had a single dry clutch. At 136,000 miles the splines were shot friction was still ok.

Wethead was the first wet clutch in a boxer that I know of.

For reverse, I am ordering mine today. I will make sure it has it.

David

Back