R18 VIBRATION

These vibration issues have not been my experience. I’ve cruised in the 60’s, 70s, 80s, and 90s without anything that I found irritating or painful.

For those of you experiencing these issues I would encourage you to seek a different dealer. Something is wrong and you should not accept their dismissive responses. The riding experience on my 2022 TC has been excellent.

we like to suffer. that must be it.
I enjoy riding it, although I felt safer with the old bike the dealer lent me when he had to reprogram the R18.
in France where I live, they discounted it to -7000 euros.

I agree if you live in a country where you can’t go above 65mph. It is a great bike but in most of the USA, our freeway speeds are a lot higher. In Southern California. If I am doing 65, I am going to get killed. By 70 my bike is unenjoyable. By 80 it is painful. Been to the dealership over it. They tell me it is normal. BMW keeps lowering the price of new bikes. So, I can never pay it down to the point of being able to trade it in. I paid 13K US in 2021. Now you can find 2021 and 2022s new for under 10k. Love my dealership. But this is my last BMW.
I mostly ride back roads, but often at above highway speeds since the R18 handles so well. Never had vibration that was annoying. I’ve done some highway and 70-80 is no overt vibration issue for me. Switch it to roll from rock and it is even smoother.

Now, my S1000R on the other hand hates to be stuck at steady highway speeds. It has a buzz that makes my hand go numb when stuck at 70-80.

Hmmm .. I have ben following this thread and I am starting to think that there may be a problem with some of your bikes ... I am cruising (cruise control on) with 85+ to work every day (and of course home again) and she glides down the freeway smooth as silk ... no I don't have a Brentune (although it is really tempting), just the latest software revision from the mothership in Germany (stock FE).
If I compare this bike to the 2 others that I own at the moment she is by far the smoothest at that speed .. the 2 bikes being a R1200C and ... well and the other one is another thing altogether ... a chopped '66 Pan-Shovel/ rigid frame (that one will make your tooth fillings come out at 85) ... just my 2¢
... and sorry that you miss out on the enjoyment.

How can I find out if my bike have the latest software, definitely is random problem, my neighbor bought the same bike 2 months late and his bike runs much better just like my before reached 3.5k miles, that's when the nasty vib started, now if I try to go at 85 mph feels like the bike wants to throw me off.

Hmmm .. I have ben following this thread and I am starting to think that there may be a problem with some of your bikes ... I am cruising (cruise control on) with 85+ to work every day (and of course home again) and she glides down the freeway smooth as silk ... no I don't have a Brentune (although it is really tempting), just the latest software revision from the mothership in Germany (stock FE).
If I compare this bike to the 2 others that I own at the moment she is by far the smoothest at that speed .. the 2 bikes being a R1200C and ... well and the other one is another thing altogether ... a chopped '66 Pan-Shovel/ rigid frame (that one will make your tooth fillings come out at 85) ... just my 2¢
... and sorry that you miss out on the enjoyment.

Cruise set at any speed and she's smooth. I luv setting at 105mph....she's smooth and ROCK SOLID...awesome bike..

cegamo74 ... next time you stop by your dealership have them plug it in .. they will know within seconds what the software revision is ... and they can update it if neccessary, that should be free of charge (at my dealership it is) the diagnostics will also offer update suggestions to them.

Adrian ... I would love to set it at 105! ... trouble is the speed limits 'round here are 65 and there are some State employees in Dodge Chargers with big hats that love to hand out receipts ... sigh ;)

cegamo74 ... next time you stop by your dealership have them plug it in .. they will know within seconds what the software revision is ... and they can update it if neccessary, that should be free of charge (at my dealership it is) the diagnostics will also offer update suggestions to them.

Adrian ... I would love to set it at 105! ... trouble is the speed limits 'round here are 65 and there are some State employees in Dodge Chargers with big hats that love to hand out receipts ... sigh ;)
Limits are 70 here...in rural areas. I don't set it there for long...but on occasion. I set usually @ 9 over...Just fun to do on occasion, you know, for posterity...

I kind of expect some level of vibration with an engine and bike of this size; recently, my son and I rented a HD Road Glide and Street Glide in the San Diego area in order to ride out to Joshua Tree.

I've ridden both models in the past; however, this time I was able to closely compare my R18 B against the two newer model HD bikes. I'd say that my R18 feels tighter or slightly more "sportier" than the HD SG and RG that we rented; where, the HD bikes felt a little more "mushier".

Anyway, I was happy to be back on my R18 B this weekend; moreso, even happier with my choice of the R18 B vs any of the two above mentioned bikes as my purchase.

Vibration-wise, I feel like my bike smooths out after 10 to 15 min of riding; might be only in my head though...

IMG_20230606_155013.jpg

Limits are 70 here...in rural areas. I don't set it there for long...but on occasion. I set usually @ 9 over...Just fun to do on occasion, you know, for posterity...
Do the ton at least once every ride just to clear the cobwebs....... 🍻 🍻

Oh I see ... In that case, I am with you and Bob on that one .. I do clear out the carbon every so often ... just for 'maintenance' reasons, of course ... 😉

When I hit 4200 rpms the engine is like a jack hammer. Seems to be getting better with miles.
4200 revs? I am doing 85 at just under 3000 revs ... how fast are you going ??? 🤯

Oh I see ... In that case, I am with you and Bob on that one .. I do clear out the carbon every so often ... just for 'maintenance' reasons, of course ... 😉

4200 revs? I am doing 85 at just under 3000 revs ... how fast are you going ??? 🤯
Depends on the gear.
Im not cruising down the highway in 6th gear at 4200 rpms
:)

When I hit 4200 rpms the engine is like a jack hammer. Seems to be getting better with miles.
Yeah I’m experiencing the same and this comment is reassuring. After the first service is done, I plan to ride it hard and see if she settles in.

When I demoed the bagger, it didn’t have this issue.

I'm a couple of days old on my R18B. Like those mentioned earlier, if I kept my bike between 2k and 3k rpm, there's generally no vibration issues. I do find it funny how the bike vibrates at idling, felt like a beast raring to go.

Try these grip covers, they make a big difference! I have them on both my R18's. Thank you for your service!

Grab On Grip Cover - Fits From 1.25in. to 1.45in. OD - 4.25in.L https://a.co/d/0vut5ez
Increasing the diameter of the grips is not really a good idea unless one has humongous hands.
If not, it makes hanging on to the handlebars painful in no time. Cramping up is the name of the game!
Just my experience.

I'm a couple of days old on my R18B. Like those mentioned earlier, if I kept my bike between 2k and 3k rpm, there's generally no vibration issues. I do find it funny how the bike vibrates at idling, felt like a beast raring to go.
It's not a counterbalanced engine and the mass of the internals add to the "personality" of this platform. I enjoy the visceral qualities and I can offer this engine will really smooth out as you add the miles (4,000ish was really showing smoother feedback and continues to better over 2-3 times that). There are a few rough RPM areas, but also several sweet ones so I would suggest stretching her legs for a proper break in across the range and you will soon find you have to search for the "rough" spots. Enjoy !!

Hi Friends,
I did the valve service myself. I set it at the high end of the clearance and the motor had more perceived vibration. Set them again at the middle of the spec and the vibration was less. YMMV

Back