R18 VIBRATION

I AM NOT A GEEK - INTERNET IS A MYSTERY ! I AM AN OLD FART - 76 YEARS OLD AND STILL RIDING ! STARTED RIDING HARLEYS IN 1967 ! GOT TIRED OF CHAINS FIGURED I WOULD TRY A SHAFT ! TOOK DELIVERY OF 2021 R18 OCTOBER 2020 . SMOOTH RAN GOOD ! ABOUT 1800 MILES DEVELOPED A MILD VIBRATION IN THE HANDLE BARS ! 3300 MILES TO DEALER COMPLAINED OF BOTHERSOME VIBRATION CAUSING RIGHT HAND TO FALL ASLEEP AFTER 20 MILES . TRIED A 6000 MILE SERVICE HOPING IT FIX THIS , NO CIGAR - IDLED WORST AND VIBRATED MORE . COMPARED TO A RENTAL WITH 400 MILES - DIFFERENCE WAS NIGHT AND DAY . DEALER SAID WOULD CHECK WITH BMW - JUNE 27 , 2022 NO FIX ! ADDED WASHER TO DAMPERS ON HANDLE BAR - NO HELP - FIGURED I WOULD RIDE LIKE I STOLE IT AND TRY TO BLOW THE MOTOR - STILL RUNNING AND VIBRATING ! WHAT TO DO - ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT ! I AM A DISABLED MARINE - PLAYED THE GAME - THANKS FOR LISTENING ! IF THERE IS ONE DOING THIS STAND BY THERE WILL BE MORE ! I ADDED HARLEY SADDLE BAGS - CORBIN SEAT AND CORBIN FAIRING BEFORE BMW DID !

Try these grip covers, they make a big difference! I have them on both my R18's. Thank you for your service!
I AM NOT A GEEK - INTERNET IS A MYSTERY ! I AM AN OLD FART - 76 YEARS OLD AND STILL RIDING ! STARTED RIDING HARLEYS IN 1967 ! GOT TIRED OF CHAINS FIGURED I WOULD TRY A SHAFT ! TOOK DELIVERY OF 2021 R18 OCTOBER 2020 . SMOOTH RAN GOOD ! ABOUT 1800 MILES DEVELOPED A MILD VIBRATION IN THE HANDLE BARS ! 3300 MILES TO DEALER COMPLAINED OF BOTHERSOME VIBRATION CAUSING RIGHT HAND TO FALL ASLEEP AFTER 20 MILES . TRIED A 6000 MILE SERVICE HOPING IT FIX THIS , NO CIGAR - IDLED WORST AND VIBRATED MORE . COMPARED TO A RENTAL WITH 400 MILES - DIFFERENCE WAS NIGHT AND DAY . DEALER SAID WOULD CHECK WITH BMW - JUNE 27 , 2022 NO FIX ! ADDED WASHER TO DAMPERS ON HANDLE BAR - NO HELP - FIGURED I WOULD RIDE LIKE I STOLE IT AND TRY TO BLOW THE MOTOR - STILL RUNNING AND VIBRATING ! WHAT TO DO - ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT ! I AM A DISABLED MARINE - PLAYED THE GAME - THANKS FOR LISTENING ! IF THERE IS ONE DOING THIS STAND BY THERE WILL BE MORE ! I ADDED HARLEY SADDLE BAGS - CORBIN SEAT AND CORBIN FAIRING BEFORE BMW DID !

Grab On Grip Cover - Fits From 1.25in. to 1.45in. OD - 4.25in.L https://a.co/d/0vut5ez

The ride mode can affect the vibration of the motor at idle. In Rock, it will have a lot of character and shake quite a bit. Switching it to roll smoothes it out quite a bit. I usually leave mine in Rock as it has so much character from the vibrations, but if I'm stuck on a highway for a while, switching it to roll can really increase the comfort. Which mode have you been using?

The other thing to play with is most every engine will have different vibrations at different RPM. On my S1000R for example, if I'm in high gear at highway speeds there is a high frequency buzz in the handlebars which causes my hand to fall asleep. Using the foam grip covers like pbosik linked above can help that as it dampens the buzz.

Speeding up moves the RPM to a higher range which eliminates the buzz on my S1000R (the S1000R likes to go fast). Also switching gears can change this (like using 5th at highway speeds on my S1000R). Sometimes a relatively small change in speed can change the feeling, so try 5-10 MPH higher or lower to see if that helps.

Grip Puppies helped me to keep my bike in ROCK on the highway. Oddly after 4000 miles is when the vibes seemed to increase. Prior to installing Grip Puppies I changed to ROLL and everything smoothed out.

I TRIED RAIN ROLL & ROCK - NO CHANGE . I AM GOING TO RIDE IT HARD AND FAST AND HOPE IT BLOWS . SMILE ! TAKE CARE - RIDE SAFE - DON'T FORGET YOUR LIFE SAVERS !

My bike has only 400 miles on it and my right hand will fall asleep if I’m puttering around in 2nd or 3rd gear sub 2k RPM. Kinda annoying. Still only in Roll mode. One thing though, my bike has the RSD end caps instead of the chrome end weights on the bars. I seriously doubt those little end caps provide much damping weight…

But, speaking of vibration, I’ve noticed my headlight has a tendency to vibrate all over the place while the speedo is rock solid. Nothing seemed loose. Anyone else get this? (21 base model)

Last edited:
My R18TC has little or no vibration. I wasn't looking for a sport bike when I got this. The R18 motor is so happy between 1,700 rpm and 2,400 rpm. Stay in this range and you will really enjoy the bike.

Grip Puppies helped me to keep my bike in ROCK on the highway. Oddly after 4000 miles is when the vibes seemed to increase. Prior to installing Grip Puppies I changed to ROLL and everything smoothed out.
I wish the grip puppies came in cool color and material options.

I am having the same problem. After the 6000-mile service. The vibration has gotten significantly worse. Did you find a solution?

Do the Grip Puppies affect the heated grips?
Yes, since the spacing from the grip to your hand/glove is different, the apparent heat will be less with the grip puppies installed. I had them on my S1000R & found that while they did reduce some of the buzzing at highway speeds, the negatives outweighed the positives & I removed them. I wish there was an option for a slightly thinner version, which might split the difference better. They are cheap enough that trying them to see if it works for you isn't a big deal.

@nielsm Im just finishing a prototype of grip covers that are similar to grip puppies but with less squish and more contoured since they are being manufactured from a medium strength rubber compound. The overall diameter is greater than the stock grips but not as thick as the grip puppies, it seems we have similar thoughts on what is comfortable for grip options.

@nielsm Im just finishing a prototype of grip covers that are similar to grip puppies but with less squish and more contoured since they are being manufactured from a medium strength rubber compound. The overall diameter is greater than the stock grips but not as thick as the grip puppies, it seems we have similar thoughts on what is comfortable for grip options.
That would be great! .. GripPuppies are good ... just a tad too big around (IMO)
... still doable .. and yes the heat still gets through nicely.

My R18TC has little or no vibration. I wasn't looking for a sport bike when I got this. The R18 motor is so happy between 1,700 rpm and 2,400 rpm. Stay in this range and you will really enjoy the bike.
The problem is that at 2400 rpm the bike goes around 65mph and this bikes speedometer is of by 5mph so in reality your riding around 60mph, depends where you live, but here in the states most highways are 65 to 70 mph.
This 900l lbs bike is good for around town respectfully.
My started with this awful vibration when it reached 3000 miles, people said the character and the feel of a vibration on a motorcycle is part of the riding experience, but what its happening with this bikes is painful.

this bike is a concept. when you missed the 60s, you can relive them with the R18. gas pump whistling, vibrations, poor road holding, no comfort, banging. She is just very beautiful. I should have just flirted with her, not married her. I regret my purchase.

My bike has 6500mi., Brentuned, DNA 2, no overt vibration at all...in fact the more I ride it the smoother it gets...and more powerful. It vibrates at idle in rock mode...but smooths out in gear and in motion. Trying to blow up the motor is fking stupid...disrespect to a great engine...Drain the oil and run it then...lol. My hands gets numb after a bit, but that's because I'm 62...Age is a bitch... I just turn on cruise when this happens.

The problem is that at 2400 rpm the bike goes around 65mph and this bikes speedometer is of by 5mph so in reality your riding around 60mph, depends where you live, but here in the states most highways are 65 to 70 mph.
This 900l lbs bike is good for around town respectfully.
My started with this awful vibration when it reached 3000 miles, people said the character and the feel of a vibration on a motorcycle is part of the riding experience, but what its happening with this bikes is painful.
I agree if you live in a country where you can’t go above 65mph. It is a great bike but in most of the USA, our freeway speeds are a lot higher. In Southern California. If I am doing 65, I am going to get killed. By 70 my bike is unenjoyable. By 80 it is painful. Been to the dealership over it. They tell me it is normal. BMW keeps lowering the price of new bikes. So, I can never pay it down to the point of being able to trade it in. I paid 13K US in 2021. Now you can find 2021 and 2022s new for under 10k. Love my dealership. But this is my last BMW.

this bike is a concept. when you missed the 60s, you can relive them with the R18. gas pump whistling, vibrations, poor road holding, no comfort, banging. She is just very beautiful. I should have just flirted with her, not married her. I regret my purchase.
Man you guys are ..umm... I don't get it... Maybe your use to earlier BMWs that were all butt ass ugly. Perhaps they're more refined? I love the hell out of my 18... Brentune the fking thing and it smooths out big time...more power too... I have other bikes, and have owned many...mostly Jap bikes... My other bike is a 14' Honda Valkyrie... It's refined, very fast, more torque then the 18...smooth like a jet plane, handles like a sport touring machine....but it is not my 18. Both bikes exude allure...

Back