R18 B Brake Fluid Flush Instructions?

LCRC18B

Hello,

Does anyone know the procedure to flush the brakes on our bikes? With no manual, I'm hoping someone with more experience than me knows if it's similar to a GS or another model?

Thanks in advance.

Hello,

Does anyone know the procedure to flush the brakes on our bikes? With no manual, I'm hoping someone with more experience than me knows if it's similar to a GS or another model?

Thanks in advance.
With ABS breaks I don’t attempt a flush. My first R1200c was standard so flushing was straightforward.

Hello,

Thanks in advance.
I don’t know why it would be any than any other bike.

If you have access to a GS-911 device, it will do most of the work for you. Add a set of SpeedBleeders and it's a one man job.

Here is a how to video for a 1200GS. The R18 procedure is the same.

Me neither, but the servo brakes on my r1150rt are definitely their own thing.
The servo brakes BMW had on earlier ABS systems did require special procedures for bleeding the brakes. But modern ABS like on the R18 is just like pre-abs.

Very fast to do on any bike now. Biggest thing to watch for is avoid splashing the brake fluid on the paint while you have the cap off the reservoir. Either squeeze & release the brake lever slowly to avoid splashing, or put the cover back on the reservoir while you bleed the brake. If you can’t reach the nut for the bleed nipple & the brake lever at the same time, you may need someone to help you, or a vacuum bleed machine.

The servo brakes BMW had on earlier ABS systems did require special procedures for bleeding the brakes. But modern ABS like on the R18 is just like pre-abs.

Very fast to do on any bike now. Biggest thing to watch for is avoid splashing the brake fluid on the paint while you have the cap off the reservoir. Either squeeze & release the brake lever slowly to avoid splashing, or put the cover back on the reservoir while you bleed the brake. If you can’t reach the nut for the bleed nipple & the brake lever at the same time, you may need someone to help you, or a vacuum bleed machine.
When I installed the beach bars with the extended lines I had to drain the reservoirs and refill them. The BMW installation instructions had me do something I had never done when bleeding brake lines. They said to simply fill the reservoir and slowly pump the levers until the bubbles stopped bleeding air out of the lines. I was skeptical but dutifully followed the instructions and guess what, it worked. I ended up with a stiffer lever than I had originally.
If you don’t have fuss with the bleeders after you drain the system it makes the whole process much tidier even if it takes a little longer to bleed all the air out.

When I installed the beach bars with the extended lines I had to drain the reservoirs and refill them. The BMW installation instructions had me do something I had never done when bleeding brake lines. They said to simply fill the reservoir and slowly pump the levers until the bubbles stopped bleeding air out of the lines. I was skeptical but dutifully followed the instructions and guess what, it worked. I ended up with a stiffer lever than I had originally.
If you don’t have fuss with the bleeders after you drain the system it makes the whole process much tidier even if it takes a little longer to bleed all the air out.
Nothing like a stiffer lever to know the job got done right!

Back