Motorrad Color Updates for 2022

I like the top one! The colors make it look classy. While Red is my favorite color when it comes to motorcycles, not a fan of the red. But I do love how they kept all the blacked out frame and forks.

to any post of Bmw Motorrad I reply: every one could paint, but we can’t manufacture parts. Release the accessories or at least allow Vance&Hines and Mustang to sell by their selves the products and manufacture more if they want

Me too !
When ordering mine, I insisted to have a white one ( beige in fact).
They asked for me, but it was impossible.

to any post of Bmw Motorrad I reply: every one could paint, but we can’t manufacture parts. Release the accessories or at least allow Vance&Hines and Mustang to sell by their selves the products and manufacture more if they want
Yep. I had the same thoughts.Their sorry arses can excitedly release “new and exciting” paint schemes for 2022 but struggle with shop manuals. seats, and mufflers?? They don’t print the manuals (DVDs already in the DEALER’s $100+ per hour hands), they don’t manufacture the accessory seats OR the V&H exhausts!!! So what is going on with those knuckleheads???

I think we have to remember that it's not just BMW that's having issues. All manufactures are having problems with part production and distribution.
The aftermath of Covid.

I have an automotive repair business and I see this with all brands of cars and trucks. This is going on within a wide range of industries.

I'm trying to stay patient myself.

I think we have to remember that it's not just BMW that's having issues. All manufactures are having problems with part production and distribution.
The aftermath of Covid.

I have an automotive repair business and I see this with all brands of cars and trucks. This is going on within a wide range of industries.

I'm trying to stay patient myself.
I do not believe that (COVID) is BMW's problem for not releasing their accessories to market. I've had no issues buying Harley parts or Ducati parts. COVID was in full swing when I bought my R18 as were BMW's promises. Cut 'em a break on this if you want I never will. This has been total frustration for many of us. I mean "Our dealers can have full access to repair manuals but you can't because of COVID?" I don't think so.

I do not believe that (COVID) is BMW's problem for not releasing their accessories to market. I've had no issues buying Harley parts or Ducati parts. COVID was in full swing when I bought my R18 as were BMW's promises. Cut 'em a break on this if you want I never will. This has been total frustration for many of us. I mean "Our dealers can have full access to repair manuals but you can't because of COVID?" I don't think so.
Fully agreed. In their endeavour (second attempt actually) to build their own 'Harley', BMW chose 1) to use US aftermarket suppliers, which have more market savvy (read; are not so easy to bully) than their European counterparts, and 2) to allow sales momentum to drive the extent of their commitment (read; to the detriment of the First Fools Edition owners). In SA, there are still more R18s in showrooms than on the road.

Harley has built their '1250 GS' at more or less the same time, sold-out worldwide with rave reviews all around, while teaching BMW new lessons in game-changing a) hydraulic valve adjustment and b) automated ride-height adjustment. Meaning even the inseam-challenged amongst us can now own and ride their own Adventure Bikes. With option and accessory sales breaking all forecasts.

While there might well be a stellar Engineering Team who gave us the R18, there is clearly a lethargic Marketing Team supporting it and its accessories catalogue.

Fully agreed. In their endeavour (second attempt actually) to build their own 'Harley', BMW chose 1) to use US aftermarket suppliers, which have more market savvy (read; are not so easy to bully) than their European counterparts, and 2) to allow sales momentum to drive the extent of their commitment (read; to the detriment of the First Fools Edition owners). In SA, there are still more R18s in showrooms than on the road.

Harley has built their '1250 GS' at more or less the same time, sold-out worldwide with rave reviews all around, while teaching BMW new lessons in game-changing a) hydraulic valve adjustment and b) automated ride-height adjustment. Meaning even the inseam-challenged amongst us can now own and ride their own Adventure Bikes. With option and accessory sales breaking all forecasts.

While there might well be a stellar Engineering Team who gave us the R18, there is clearly a lethargic Marketing Team supporting it and its accessories catalogue.
You said it best!

I'm probably in the minority since I don't have any desire to to do anything to the bike other than what I've done by installing the Roland Sands head trim thing. Is the main item that people are upset about the third party exhaust to replace the fish-tail on the FEs? Or is it more of a general thing? Maybe it's just me, but not having a full selection of mirror options, for example, out of the gate, isn't something that I lose sleep over.

I'm probably in the minority since I don't have any desire to to do anything to the bike other than what I've done by installing the Roland Sands head trim thing. Is the main item that people are upset about the third party exhaust to replace the fish-tail on the FEs? Or is it more of a general thing? Maybe it's just me, but not having a full selection of mirror options, for example, out of the gate, isn't something that I lose sleep over.
My biggest gripe is no shop manual and some missing capacities and other specs not in the Owners Manual, leaving us to hunt and guess or go to the dealer who just happens to have ALL of the information if you will just leave your bike, and pay for work you normally do yourself. Not to mention the inconvenience and time lost just dealing with all of it. Is total BS. As far as accessories, many buyers ONLY bought their bike with the BMW promise of having the accessories available to get their bike the way they want it now, not next year! If I had known they would treat us all this way, I would not have bought my bike - over the principle of it all. They wanted to compete with Harley and failed. I had my hopes up, they faded pretty quickly shortly after.

It may just be me but: Custom to me does not mean a trip to the dealer to buy a T-shirt and some bolt on "factory custom" Parts on a sunny Saturday.
I have been riding since 1964, when there were no factory "custom" parts and very few motorcycle choices for that matter.
You would just buy a surplus Knucklehead, Panhead or a Servicar from the police auction, then build your own "custom" Bobber, Chopper, Trike or whatever.
Still miss my old 52 Pan, the nastiest, hardest riding, start kicking ankle breaking, piece crap there ever was, but, it sure was fun?

It may just be me but: Custom to me does not mean a trip to the dealer to buy a T-shirt and some bolt on "factory custom" Parts on a sunny Saturday.
I have been riding since 1964, when there were no factory "custom" parts and very few motorcycle choices for that matter.
You would just buy a surplus Knucklehead, Panhead or a Servicar from the police auction, then build your own "custom" Bobber, Chopper, Trike or whatever.
Still miss my old 52 Pan, the nastiest, hardest riding, start kicking ankle breaking, piece crap there ever was, but, it sure was fun?
It may just be you.

I have only been riding since 1972, have owned well over one hundred bikes, all told, and do not miss any of the cr4p we had to ride and deal with till around the early 2000s. I own 18 motorcycles at present, and besides my '95 Boss Hoss (not really a proper bike), all else are 2006+. Electronic tech and engine refinement are moving so fast that even ten-year-old bikes feel antiquated against their latest siblings, e.g. soon to be released R1300GS, Ducati Monster, etc. I do not collect old bikes, prefer customs on Pinterest instead of in my garage, and although I add bling and farkles to my rides and maintain them myself, I still fancy riding them rather than wrenching on them. My 2020 Rocket 3 has gone from 167 hp to 192 hp, courtesy of a TuneECU map and slip-on exhaust. Why would I need the hassle, expense and potential running/reliability issues of open-heart surgery (Carpenter Cams, TTS Supercharger, etc.) if I could simply pop a pill (load a Penner tune and fit a Werkes slip-on)? Motorcycles and motorcycling have never been better than it is now. And in another ten years, we will, no doubt, be lifting an eyebrow at some of what we are content with now.

Last edited:
I specced out a bobber on BMW's R18 configurator in March 2020 and got referred to my closest Motorrad dealer, 100 miles from where I stay. They tried to sell me an R9T instead on the premise that only one bog-standard R18 flavour, no options, and definitely not the one I wanted, would make its way to SA. They thought the accessories would only become available in September 2020, so I decided to proceed and order. I only received the bike in October, by which time option/accessory availability had moved to April 2021. It now has slipped to October 2021 again. Here are configurator screenshots of what I wished to buy in March last year - the BMW Sting;

left-front.png
right-rear.png

BMW did not drop the ball, my daughter told me recently. They kicked it right out the park.

I totally get it. We had different expectations, but it's clear that they mislead you.
Yes they did! And to be fair, my ranting in prior posts has never been about “the dealer”. They can’t sell what they don’t have. I have sent emails to BMW (nice ones) and they remaining unanswered. It just is not right.

Back