Lost fob or flat batter in the fob.....?

On previous bikes I have owned, Harley and Indian, if you lost your fob or the fob battery went flat, you could start the bike by entering PIN. Is there something like this on the R18 B or TC?

The plastic key.. there's an antenna under the seat. Maybe include a FOB battery replacement item or step as part of your annual maintenance in readying your bike for the upcoming riding season, whether the battery needs to be replaced or not?

Lost Key Fob: don't leave your key FOB on your gas tank where it can slide off and become lost; however, perhaps the front jean pants pocket should eliminate the lost key scenario...

Last edited:
Yeah, Thanks. I am aware of the plastic key. But I was more asking in case I was out on a ride, 200km from home, and I lost the fob or the battery goes flat. I can't see a plastic key that is sitting at home, helping me out.
Fair concern.
Wondering if I should carry an extra battery for the FOB and optionally carry the plastic key in my wallet.
But then, my car has a FOB too. I don't worry about that as much.
Am I missing something?

You can get a copy of the chip at your local Car keys store. Then put it in your wallet, or epoxy/sew it into a key ring. That way you have one (original) spare at home and one with you at all times. I paid around $60 for the cloning and chip, just need to prove that bike belongs to me.
Be careful not to leave the FOB key near the bike, it constantly communicates and drains the battery. I replaced battery already 2x in one year.
So I'm considering moving the antenna from under the saddle to somewhere near the canopy for better access and a stronger signal

I carry the plastic key in my wallet. I've found it will not link to the bike even when I set the plastic key onto the seat. But then again I typically have my wallet in my jacket or shirt pocket when riding... the ol' sciatic, ya know. I also carry a spare fob battery on the bike.... just in case.

You can get a copy of the chip at your local Car keys store. Then put it in your wallet, or epoxy/sew it into a key ring. That way you have one (original) spare at home and one with you at all times. I paid around $60 for the cloning and chip, just need to prove that bike belongs to me.
Be careful not to leave the FOB key near the bike, it constantly communicates and drains the battery. I replaced battery already 2x in one year.
So I'm considering moving the antenna from under the saddle to somewhere near the canopy for better access and a stronger signal
see... ive replaced it 3 times in the past year... I thought I was losing it. Im glad to know Im not the only one. I initially though by having it in my pocket I kept pressing a button and draining it, so I moved to a key ring on my belt loop. Much better.

Fair concern.
Wondering if I should carry an extra battery for the FOB and optionally carry the plastic key in my wallet.
But then, my car has a FOB too. I don't worry about that as much.
Am I missing something?
You do get a low (fob) battery icon shaped like a key that comes up on the dash telling you to change it. However, that being said I do carry a spare fob battery anyway, they are so tiny I keep it in my wallet.

You do get a low (fob) battery icon shaped like a key that comes up on the dash telling you to change it. However, that being said I do carry a spare fob battery anyway, they are so tiny I keep it in my wallet.
I have one for that reason in my saddle bag!

i carry a spare key fob battery in with my registration and insurance cards, so it's always on hand when I need it.

see... ive replaced it 3 times in the past year... I thought I was losing it. Im glad to know Im not the only one. I initially though by having it in my pocket I kept pressing a button and draining it, so I moved to a key ring on my belt loop. Much better.
When at home keep the key fob out of the range of the bike receiver. Perhaps put it in a faraday box.
If the receives catches the signal it will be in comm with the key fob, draining the battery.

Back