Looking for a simple side license plate mount option

Here's what I'm thinking. Just an anodized aluminum right angle bracket. One M8 bolt and another M5 acting as a pin in that smaller hole. Bolt a plain black license plate backing to this and add a standard LED light. Then hide the wires. BadaBingBadaBoom you've got yourself a tight little license plate mount.
D8859CCF-F6D9-4A68-8D64-9D5B0F8B5740.jpeg

4F21966E-9A31-467A-8E7C-41A9A34D8E08.jpeg
It's just a template. But that's the idea. I plan on using the lower bolt site so maybe a bobber fender can go on unencumbered. Teeheee. Some parts en route.

That is abut the same as I was considering before finalizing the seat mount position.
The extreme jostling that is produce by being attached directly to and moving with the rear wheel was my concern.
Adding to the unsprung weight and the projectile possibilities were a major concern.
Aluminum was to be my choice also, use an aircraft alloy, but sizing incorrectly is the problem considering aluminum does not have an infinite fatigue life.

That is abut the same as I was considering before finalizing the seat mount position.
The extreme jostling that is produce by being attached directly to and moving with the rear wheel was my concern.
Adding to the unsprung weight and the projectile possibilities were a major concern.
Aluminum was to be my choice also, use an aircraft alloy, but sizing incorrectly is the problem considering aluminum does not have an infinite fatigue life.
I get it. The total expenditure is something like $40. If it fails, I'll likely go the kuryakyn bar-mount route. I just can't spend $500+ for an enormous and ugly side plate mount from BMW or Wunderlich or walzwerks. Not happening.

Last edited:
Agreed. Can’t believe they’re all charging $500+ for a plate bracket, AND they’re fugly.
I really like the Wunderlich bobber rear fender and seat, but it’s like $3,000. Just ridiculous. I like what I’ve seen in the rare photos of the BMW bobber kit (minus the license plate bracket) but I’m as annoyed as everyone else that I’ve waited a year without even a hint of when these will be available.

what about something super simple and inexpensive ($32 on ebay). Just modify and drill to match the existing mounting points on the inner swingarm.

Attachments

• side license plate with brake1.jpg
    side license plate with brake1.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
At least they are honest about where it is made.

Shipping:
$15.00 Standard SpeedPAK from Greater China | See details
International shipment of items may be subject to customs processing and additional charges.

Located in:
Zhejiang, China

Ships to:
Worldwide See exclusions

Delivery:

Estimated between Fri. Oct. 1 and Mon. Oct. 18
This item has an extended handling time and a delivery estimate greater than 13 business days.
Please allow additional time if international delivery is subject to customs processing.

It and the $170 one from France are totally acceptable but I'm not liking how far aft they put the plate. Almost like they're adhering to some sort of regulation about plate visibility or something.😄

I'm looking to tuck it in.

Last edited:
It and the $170 one from France are totally acceptable but I'm not liking how far aft they put the plate. Almost like they're adhering to some sort of regulation about plate visibility or something.😄

I'm looking to tuck it in.
Yes,
it is better to be tucked in than not.

Regards,Tom

Prototype

F0D99C71-E248-4F09-8F9E-80FA3FDAE0B3.jpeg14CEC6A3-8189-472B-9420-7BB3FFDADDC2.jpeg583A4B58-A707-4EAC-9398-3A2274170134.jpeg

For use with the stock rear fender, the frame would need to be kicked out a couple cm for clearance. The distance between frame and fender is 6cm. We need 9+.

Plan on repeating with higher quality parts (thicker backing plate, slightly more supportive right angle bracket) once they arrive.

Last edited:
You could go all the way and replace the rear shock with a solid strut thus eliminating the clearance problem.
It would also reduce the induced loads from uneven roads and road obsticals because you would be riding at a much reduced speeds due to your injured back.
Speed bumps in Brasil are no laughing matter.

Last edited:
option 2:

More robust back plate (thick aluminum). The LED won't work without modifying the license plate surround...or no surround, which isn't a bad look.
4341B993-41FC-4A00-BDC1-58BCD1D9D174.jpegF0037170-DBF0-407B-AC0C-955D96D8F069.jpeg6A99F797-9C55-4E56-911F-A5487F0DA3F7.jpeg9D614E85-B4B4-4F0B-8C15-2430AACC028D.jpeg

I think I like it more without the chrome surround. I can do a black surround...
And maybe someone better versed in suspension can help me out with the muffler/plate clearance? Will the rear swingarm ever extend towards the muffler? Is that an "only whilst airborn" issue? Can I do a couple of cm of clearance and be confident that the pieces won't collide? Maybe if I lifted the bike an allowed the suspension to fall as far down as possible...

Last edited:
Lift the bike untill the rear tire is off the ground using the frame or transmission lift points, allowing the rear suspension to fully extend.
As in the picture, then adjust the desired muffler clearance accordingly.
In this case the dead fish are not used.
Same suspension travel still exists.
Suspension fully compressed clearance for bags etc is a different matter.
The top picture is of the rear suspension in full compression, which is accomplished by removing the rear shock and replacing it with a dummy shock the length of the fully compressed shock which os 12".
Doing this check without removing the stock rear fender could be problematic.
In completing this modification the were many clearance issues identified and remachining of various parts was necessary.
IMG_1439.JPG
Jack5.JPG

Last edited:
That clearance check is simple, just unload the rear suspension by getting the rear tire off the ground.
The opposite is a little more complicated requiring parts removal a making dummy parts.
Dummy shock installed, full suspension compression position.

Driveshaft Frane Ckearance.JPG

Last edited:
Roger that
As I have stated before, I am selling nothing, just sharing my experiences and knowledge gleaned from making successful owner modifications to the R18.
Not interested in or impressed by questionable accessory sellers with missing parts.
Having been doing this for over fifty years.

Back