Looking for a simple side license plate mount option

tomorrow I will check my motorcycle 100%. I installed it a long time ago and I used this connector for sure, but I don't remember 100% if I didn't cut the cable

As I said, used a shrink wrap over the light connector, keeps it held in place and makes rhe connection water tight.
How often will be disconnecting it?

I have used this connector 3 times for sure on my bike. 2x for the indicators in the front and for the backlight of the plate - but as I wrote above, it is possible that I was cutting the cable on the back

Gents, it'll work but it's not the right connector. You can wrap electrical tape around it or shrink wrap it or whatever, but still not as good as oem. Misrepresenting it as such isn't cool.

Gents, it'll work but it's not the right connector. You can wrap electrical tape around it or shrink wrap it or whatever, but still not as good as oem. Misrepresenting it as such isn't cool.
Oh well, works just fine on mine, hidden out of sight under the seat, no cutting of the factory wiring harness.
Besides my dual license lights are not OEM, imagine that, neither is my rear fender or seat mounting pan or the custom machined brake/signal light mounting brackets.
You want a custom with all OEM parts, bit of a dichotomy.
You should have been around in the 1960s when we bought a worn out police bike at the auction and turned to into a show bike, no OEM parts at all.
Behold the "Billy Bike"
Unknown-2.jpeg

Last edited:
You can wrap electrical tape around it or shrink wrap it or whatever, but still not as good as oem.
unfortunately, there is no other solution at the moment. you will not buy the original plug itself. People only want to help you solve the task. You don't have to take advantage of this, but appreciate your willingness to help

unfortunately, there is no other solution at the moment. you will not buy the original plug itself. People only want to help you solve the task. You don't have to take advantage of this, but appreciate your willingness to help
Good lord.

Ninjabones posted this upthread. I'm pretty sure that this is the right connector

So much for no other solution.

Number 2, you will never, ever be accused of only wanting to help. Never. You're here to sell your stuff, that's it, full-stop. End of discussion. You don't offer advice or give an opinion or are the least bit generous with your knowledge UNLESS it involves selling something on your site. So lets just end that BS right now. And you know what? You have some nice things that nobody else is offering. You do. And plenty of people here that have had good experiences with you. If you never said a word about any of it, someone here would start a thread about whatever it is and you'd end up with just as much traffic. But then you pull this just trying to help martyr claptrap.

Again, good lord.

Good lord.

Ninjabones posted this upthread. I'm pretty sure that this is the right connector

So much for no other solution.

Number 2, you will never, ever be accused of only wanting to help. Never. You're here to sell your stuff, that's it, full-stop. End of discussion. You don't offer advice or give an opinion or are the least bit generous with your knowledge UNLESS it involves selling something on your site. So lets just end that BS right now. And you know what? You have some nice things that nobody else is offering. You do. And plenty of people here that have had good experiences with you. If you never said a word about any of it, someone here would start a thread about whatever it is and you'd end up with just as much traffic. But then you pull this just trying to help martyr claptrap.

Again, good lord.
apart from the fact that I work in HOLAN MOTO, I am also a user of R18 FE. And as a user of the R18, I showed some of my ideas selflessly. You will not find these solutions in our company's sales offer. I showed them myself for R18 lovers. Do not judge - do not use. And another free tip: the turn signal connector part number is on the inside of the plastic. You just need to read it and order it as a spare part for BMW or Mini (10 times cheaper than the link you are quoting ;)

apart from the fact that I work in HOLAN MOTO, I am also a user of R18 FE. And as a user of the R18, I showed some of my ideas selflessly. You will not find these solutions in our company's sales offer. I showed them myself for R18 lovers. Do not judge. And another free tip: the turn signal connector part number is on the inside of the plastic. You just need to read it and order it as a spare part for BMW or Mini
Yes, poor you, just promoting your website's products so selflessly. Are you kidding me? If you actually help a few people with information or knowledge (not pertaining to products you sell) or even just a freakin thumbs up on well-written or thoughtful post, I'll reconsider. Until then, you're here to sell stuff. No more, no less. And you can't/won't even chip in $25/yr to support the site.

Anyhoooo

The best, most elegant and R18-worthy solution* I can think of, is an anodized aluminum right angle bracket at the side license plate mount point attached to a simple backing plate with an led. Hide the wires. It'll be tucked near the rotor and angled slightly upwards. I've ordered some parts and will update.

*other options include 1) an expansion nut into the 19mm axle hole attached somehow to an axle-mount plate. There are several options, As tight as I could make things, I can't imagine that it would not slowly tend towards the earth. 2) the kuryakyn bar mount thing with the kuryakyn side plate positioned over the muffler. Kinda flashy, but solid. 3) a ram mount version of #1. Not loving how I imagine it would look.

Tom, any ideas?

/I can't stay mad on the internet.

Initially I was considering going that route, using the two 8mm threaded bolt holes in the left side of the swing arm.
Visible in the foto, one attaching the fender strut. and one simply filled with an 8mm screw.
These two holes are for mounting the proposed Bobber fender and license bracket.
There is only one threaded hole on the right side.

But, as I mentioned in a earlier post, I have seen hardtail license brackets turn into projectiles and being mounted to a swingarm it will be subjected to even more violent treatment. do not ride behind it without body armor.

IMG_1439.JPG

Last edited:
Initially I was considering going that route, using the two 8mm threaded bolt holes in the left side of the swing arm.
Visible in the foto, one attaching the fender strut. and one simply filled with an 8mm screw.
These two holes are for mounting the proposed Bobber fender and license bracket.
There is only one threaded hole on the right side.

View attachment 2553
Yup. The Wunderlich mount uses the lower left 8mm threaded hole and the 5mm unthreaded pin hole just slightly north of it to stabilize things. This leaves that upper 8mm hole free for fender supporting, Not sure about other license plate options, but this seems to be the purpose behind that lower threaded hole and the pin hole too.

/good looking rear fender by the way

Yup. The Wunderlich mount uses the lower left 8mm threaded hole and the 5mm unthreaded pin hole just slightly north of it to stabilize things. This leaves that upper 8mm hole free for fender supporting, Not sure about other license plate options, but this seems to be the purpose behind that lower threaded hole and the pin hole too.

/good looking rear fender by the way
Hand formed to the proper radius around a K1600 rear tire using a tow strap and a rubber mallet, with blacksmith/millwright experience, along with knowledge gained working in China and Brazil where they would make the right size wrench or other tools from a piece of rebar using nothing but an acetylene torch and a hammer and clear acres of jungle with nothing but small handsaws while on the look our for killer bees and anacondas.
Or the occasional Caiman(South American Crockagaitor)IMG_1785 copy.jpg

Last edited:
Anyhoooo

The best, most elegant and R18-worthy solution* I can think of, is an anodized aluminum right angle bracket at the side license plate mount point attached to a simple backing plate with an led. Hide the wires. It'll be tucked near the rotor and angled slightly upwards. I've ordered some parts and will update.

*other options include 1) an expansion nut into the 19mm axle hole attached somehow to an axle-mount plate. There are several options, As tight as I could make things, I can't imagine that it would not slowly tend towards the earth. 2) the kuryakyn bar mount thing with the kuryakyn side plate positioned over the muffler. Kinda flashy, but solid. 3) a ram mount version of #1. Not loving how I imagine it would look.

Tom, any ideas?

/I can't stay mad on the internet.
I did see the kuryakyn solution also, and the Nova curved plate holder looks interesting. You would have to mount to the upper swing arm bar (which I measured at 1 1/8”). So, this should be the proper clamp (see link below). I like this option as it raises the plate away from the muffler blast and doesn’t stick out way behind the bike like the Wunderlich option. However, it likely wouldn’t be compatible with pillion and the actual plate holder is a bit beefy/thick.

AB1BA4DF-A1FD-4310-AAC4-4E2247119EBF.jpeg

Back