Just test rode.. Maintenance?

Folo

Hey guys,

So after drooling on these bikes for several months I finally decided to go test ride one and that was a mistake lol. Previous posts show I have a multi 1200 enduro and found the R18 to move like a cigarette boat and its endless torque band was hilarious. I do not understand what all the reviews about scraping pegs was about because I swerved a bunch and took 90 degree turns at 20 some odd MPH to try and scrape to no avail. If you scrape pegs on these its because you are used to sport bikes and thought you could get away with it on a cruiser. A big note to mention is I learned riding on cruisers so the multi is also ridden like a cruiser only now I have 160hp to push around instead of a harleys sub 80hp. I can definitely feel its weight but again, the ride quality and personality was so fun I did not care.

And now a question to the owners, beyond initial service and the first oil change, what has insurance and extra maintenance costs looked like to you? For reference, If I keep the multi I'm expected to drop $1500 MINIMUM on the desmo service down here in Miami and another $350 for a chain & sprocket replacement.. not to mention the premium insurance. At this point I rather turn it in before I suffer the costs and get myself into one of these beauties. I'd appreciate community input and any enlightenment. Thanks!20221025_155539.jpg

If you are a young pup unlike me you probably would be happy with the R18 classic. I like the bagger look but love the useful extras on the TC. I'm old enough now that I like the contentment of the wind protection behind the TC.

Get the base model. Slick as fock, the best looking motorcycle I've ever owned, and I've owned quite a few. The bagger comes with a windshield and obviously the bags. The transcontinental is a Street Glide in disguise. Looks more like a Harley than a BMW. A total departure from what the bike was supposed to look and be. I don't like it a bit. I noticed a lot of owners running after aftermarket parts that turn the bike into something else. It won't be a BMW anymore. I am amazed by the ignorance and poor taste of a lot of guys.
Don't treat this R18 as the only bike because it can't be, and you'll be disappointed. Keep it simple and it will make you feel like a James Dean of the twenty first century. Which is so fockin' cool in my book!
Just a thought.

Last edited:
If I were to add anything it would be a storage rack just to tie stuff on if I had to and the touring seat but outside of that MAYBE mini ape hangers of sorts since I am tall and the bars are a little low.

Get the base model. Slick as fock, the best looking motorcycle I've ever owned, and I've owned quite a few. The bagger comes with a windshield and obviously the bags. The transcontinental is a Street Glide in disguise. Looks more like a Harley than a BMW. A total departure from what the bike was supposed to look and be. I don't like it a bit. I noticed a lot of owners running after aftermarket parts that turn the bike into something else. It won't be a BMW anymore. I am amazed by the ignorance and poor taste of a lot of guys.
Don't treat this R18 as the only bike because it can't be, and you'll be disappointed. Keep it simple and it will make you feel like a James Dean of the twenty first century. Which is so fockin' cool in my book!
Just a thought.
Agreed, every time I get out on the R18 I am reminded of the opening scene of Lawrence of Arabia where Peter O’Toole motors off on Lawrence’s Brough Superior. Just such classic motorcycle feel and look in modern bike.

The Classic is a good call based on your wants. It is a BMW, as in Bring More Wallet. Cost for 600 miles service can be maybe $300 +/- else maybe $450 then thinking next service a fair bit higher…forget that cost. I would not make a base model my only bike. Plus your lower back will feel the impacts over bumps in the road. Main reason many upgrade to the bagger model I figure with larger rear shock travel. I do though need to see what the dealer set mine at to see if it needs to be changed.

I got the Weekender seat, a two piece setup though the Cross County, think it is called, offers yet more comfort though it is a one piece design.
I love the look of the base model, mine is an R18FE, it has reverse and I use it plus cruise control

I have an MRA screen I have yet to put on the bike, for local riding though too just picked up a 18” lite tinted Madstad screen with lowers I need to install. The Madstad is a quick disconnect unit, both screen and lowers. The MRA more of a attach and leave on the bike screen. SW-Moto sells a nice set of lockable bags for the Base model for $999 though it is true…once you start adding the extras you take away from the looks of the base model.

You can do 80 there abouts with no screen and not fly off the bike, the stock bars work well for me more so then I thought they would…a bonus at higher speed.

Was wearing a three quarter helmet with rotating shield. Not a fan of full face helmets though they do save your face if you go down. Hate to spend the $ though would like to buy one of those German full face helmets, if I could find a deal on one. It allows the helment to open up the front half, great for eye glass wears. Back in the day, though maybe not that brand, saw a while one with a way cool city scape black penciled graphic.

Attachments

• 0BDAB7A2-6C22-490E-B928-E55E08A44835.jpeg
    0BDAB7A2-6C22-490E-B928-E55E08A44835.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 18
Last edited:
BMW may be the only brand that gives Ducati a run for your money when it comes to service. I typically do my own maintenance expect for the first one and the first maintenance was the most expensive I've had on any bike (somewhere around 20), including the Ducati I had. Now granted, that Ducati was from 20 years ago and there has been a bit of inflation since then.
As far as dragging pegs, it really depends on riding style I guess. I'm not a sport bike rider and I find I have to adjust my riding style to not drag on the R18. Which is fine, I can do that. It has some of the lowest cornering clearance in modern motorcycling, lacking when compared to most Harleys and Indians, as well as lacking a lot when compared to any standard, ADV or sport bike.

It makes up for that by being gorgeous, in my view.

Insurance is very subjective but compared to the many other bikes I’ve been through, I found it to be very reasonable indeed. Looks, well that’s entirely through your eyes……

Ditto Scott. When I got my TC for just a hair under $24k I was grinning from ear to ear. Initially I was looking at the R18B for $26k. I still like the B look.

Ditto Scott. When I got my TC for just a hair under $24k I was grinning from ear to ear. Initially I was looking at the R18B for $26k. I still like the B look.
Bagger = Road King, TC = Street Glide. haha. Minus 20% markup for the HD name, and less power.

Bagger = Road King, TC = Street Glide. haha. Minus 20% markup for the HD name, and less power.
I would say that R18Classis = HD Road King, Bagger = Street Glide and TC = Ultra Limited.

When i purchased my R18C i compared it with HD RKS and i liked BMW more.

I would say that R18Classis = HD Road King, Bagger = Street Glide and TC = Ultra Limited.

When i purchased my R18C i compared it with HD RKS and i liked BMW more.
R18C closer to the Heritage Classic imo. I think BMW may have had more success with a RKS competitor eg using the R18B/ TC frame and hard bags etc but just a single headlight up front rather than fairing. Don’t think we’ll see any other models other than what we have now though.

The Classic is a good call based on your wants. It is a BMW, as in Bring More Wallet. Cost for 600 miles service can be maybe $300 +/- else maybe $450 then thinking next service a fair bit higher…forget that cost. I would not make a base model my only bike. Plus your lower back will feel the impacts over bumps in the road. Main reason many upgrade to the bagger model I figure with larger rear shock travel. I do though need to see what the dealer set mine at to see if it needs to be changed.

I got the Weekender seat, a two piece setup though the Cross County, think it is called, offers yet more comfort though it is a one piece design.
I love the look of the base model, mine is an R18FE, it has reverse and I use it plus cruise control

I have an MRA screen I have yet to put on the bike, for local riding though too just picked up a 18” lite tinted Madstad screen with lowers I need to install. The Madstad is a quick disconnect unit, both screen and lowers. The MRA more of a attach and leave on the bike screen. SW-Moto sells a nice set of lockable bags for the Base model for $999 though it is true…once you start adding the extras you take away from the looks of the base model.

You can do 80 there abouts with no screen and not fly off the bike, the stock bars work well for me more so then I thought they would…a bonus at higher speed.

Was wearing a three quarter helmet with rotating shield. Not a fan of full face helmets though they do save your face if you go down. Hate to spend the $ though would like to buy one of those German full face helmets, if I could find a deal on one. It allows the helment to open up the front half, great for eye glass wears. Back in the day, though maybe not that brand, saw a while one with a way cool city scape black penciled graphic.
RevZilla has a really great deal on the Schuberth C4 Pro if looking for a flip-up full face helmet; I have a C4 Pro Carbon, which was my primary helmet when riding my GS Adventure; now I mostly wear a 2/3 helmet.

As far as dragging floorboards; I have only scuffed the sacrificial nub on each of my floorboards while riding some curvy roads. I typically practice making tight U-turns, especially since owning the B-Model; and I've never dragged the floorboards while practicing U-turns.

I will most likely start wearing my C4 Pro as the weather starts to get cooler here in the Northeast area; however, I'm sure my HD buddies will poke fun at me for the look... :)

Back