Just installed a lithium iron phosphate (LiFePO4) battery

Scott you are right on! If you follow your owners guide on removing the battery...there is only one way (on the R18); the Neg terminal is only accessible first with just an inch or two battery pulled out...once battery is out, the Pos is available....install battery the same way as removed; i.e. connect negative, then push in battery and connect positive last. Not difficult at all.
That seems backwards. If neg terminal is to be disconnected first on removal, then shouldn’t neg terminal be connected last on re-insertion?

You are sharp as a tack! Corrected! Thank you
1911Tex can do it the way he described... However, I would definitely recommend wearing brown pants...

For those who have accidentally performed some welding on their car's fender and or motorcycle frames, using a battery and a socket wrench knows - why the brown color garments are appropriate...

Maybe include nomex gloves, the wrench can get pretty hot in temperature..

💩

OP here: FWIW Just completed a charging test on my new Li and previous AGM battery. Li full charge was 100% from factory (indicator on top of battery) out of the box installed in my R18. No battery charger used and motorcycle put in storage after two weeks 99%, after 4 weeks, 96%, after 9 weeks 94%. Did a full charge with my NOCO charger set on Li...it took <30 minutes to 100% charge. Now R18 is out of storage. The previous factory AGM in storage last year with no trickle charger; after 2 weeks storage 78%, after 4 weeks 62%...then put on charger, 12 hours to 100% charge (note this was the factory 2 year old AGM). Just an interesting observation and I assume the batteries were drained from R18 factory installed equipment.

Last edited:
OP here: FWIW Just completed a charging test on my new Li and previous AGM battery. Li full charge was 100% from factory (indicator on top of battery) out of the box installed in my R18. No battery charger used and motorcycle put in storage after two weeks 99%, after 4 weeks, 96%, after 9 weeks 94%. Did a full charge with my NOCO charger set on Li...it took <30 minutes to 100% charge. Now R18 is out of storage. The previous factory AGM in storage last year with no trickle charger; after 2 weeks storage 78%, after 4 weeks 62%...then put on charger, 12 hours to 100% charge (note this was the factory 2 year old AGM). Just an interesting observation and I assume the batteries were drained from R18 factory installed equipment.
It's all chemistry...

Back