Jack/Lift for the R18?

• Thread starter Deleted member 770
  • Start date
What kind of lift would a BMW maintenace shop, such as a main dealer, use?
What they use, and should use...are 2 different things. I saw a dealer using a small sissor jack, along with a drive on ramp to jack my R18 up. I questioned him. His response was...we use anything that works. I tend to agree!

What they use, and should use...are 2 different things. I saw a dealer using a small sissor jack, along with a drive on ramp to jack my R18 up. I questioned him. His response was...we use anything that works. I tend to agree!
Most reasonable and I agreee. I will ask to have a look next summer when I get an annual service on my machine. Cheers.

Hornig Kern Stabi lift is great and very stable but does not lift the rear high enough to be able to remove the rear wheel, even using the highest bolt hole for the legs - there are two. With a 18mm piece of plywood using just the rear lift on its own, you only have to remove the licence plate and the rear wheel comes out fine. After removing the rear wheel you can then install the front lift and remove the front wheel.

Attachments

• 20230415_125038.jpg
    20230415_125038.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 47
  • 20230415_181836.jpg
    20230415_181836.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 46
Hornig Kern Stabi lift is great and very stable but does not lift the rear high enough to be able to remove the rear wheel, even using the highest bolt hole for the legs - there are two. With a 18mm piece of plywood using just the rear lift on its own, you only have to remove the licence plate and the rear wheel comes out fine. After removing the rear wheel you can then install the front lift and remove the front wheel.

Once the X-518 KERN-STABI is in place and the front & rear wheels are off the ground; you can use a standard lift-jack to raise the bike even higher while working on it.

My jack has four holes that allow me to secure the X-518 frame to the lifting platform of my lift.

Screenshot_20230416-105807.png

Once the X-518 KERN-STABI is in place and the front & rear wheels are off the ground; you can use a standard lift-jack to raise the bike even higher while working on it.

My jack has four holes that allow me to secure the X-518 frame to the lifting platform of my lift.
Thanks I appreciate the info and interesting lift. My point is that i was anticipating having to buy a secondary lift but now dont have to. I am happy working with the bike only slightly off the ground, and I can store a peice of plywood more easily in my crowded garage than another lift.

Incidentally, I was in conversation with the makers of the Big Blue bike lift, before I bought the X-518 to ask if they would be making an adapter for the R18. I was informed and I quote:

"this product you show me takes the bike just millimetres off ground level (he is referring to X-518) and a pretty safe area for something to fail but Big Blue is around 75cm when raised, I really do need to work with entirely different parameters to avoid a catastrophe!

So, with me spending a lot of time trying to solve the problem over the past couple of weeks I have concluded that there is not enough “Safe” area to support from, the length is ok at 80cm thats no problem but the narrow points of lift and support at 160mm (front) is simply too narrow for such a massive bike?

Best safe rather than sorry Richard so i’m gonna say, I’m Out!!"

One mistake I made with the rear wheel removal using the X-518 is that you have to remove both silencers. Which of course means one of the X-518 security attachements is missing once the right hand silencer is removed, a long reach socket through the lug to replace the silencer hanger was my retrospective workaround. Lifting big bikes is new to me and makes me quite nervous, which has been intensfied by the Big Blue makers bailing out!!

Attachments

• 20230415_125023.jpg
    20230415_125023.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 39

Harbor Freight recalls 42,000 motorcycle lifts​

Harbor Freight Tools is recalling 41,715 Central Hydraulics High Position Motorcycle Lifts -- part number 99887.

The lift welds or tubing may break, which can allow the lift to fall or drop the motorcycle, posing a risk of injury

What to do​

Harbor Freight will provide a refund in the form of a Harbor Freight gift card.

Notification letters are expected to be mailed to owners April 28, 2023.

Owners may contact Harbor Freight customer service at (800) 444-3353.

Harbor Freight Tools is recalling 41,715 Central Hydraulics High Position Motorcycle Lifts -- part number 99887.

The lift welds or tubing may break, which can allow the lift to fall or drop the motorcycle, posing a risk of injury

What to do​

To the surprise of no one.

What to do​

aha, this one.. no wonder

1681781402131.png

That is exactly how I lift my R18.

Good to know.

However, OTOH, their other motorcycle lift (part #69904), which I own, is not under recall. IMHO, I think this one is a good value if you're looking for a decent service lift. It comes with a solid-steel safety bar that passes through one of a couple thru-frame holes that take pressure off the hydraulic jack after lifting is done.

My ONLY complaint is that the ramp is too short for heavier bikes to muscle up, and god help you if the ramp or lift has any grease or oil that the tires can slip on while you're getting your bike up there!

That's why for me, I threw on an ATV winch on the front that allows me to control the ascent of Alcina onto the lift. For wifey's 1976 Honda CB500t, I can roll it up and down by hand all day long...but our heavy and bulky r18's...not so much...

Alcina_Stand5.jpgAlcina_Stand3.jpg

Mike

Fwiw.... I had mine up on my home made (poorly) lift on the weekend to do some fork work..... when trying to remove the fork caps (with the BMW thread locker) using a very long handled wrench (almost 30 inches at one stage) the bike started rotating and sliding across the floor. So many things to consider.... should have used 32mm tube as well.... I used 25.

20230611_111348.jpg

Back