Jack/Lift for the R18?

• Thread starter Deleted member 770
  • Start date
BTW To Clarify !! I used my Big Blue motorcycle lift with the Hornig Kern-Stabi, as seen in Page 1 of this thread. Notice the man puts the Kern Stabi under the bike, do not use the wrench to attach the guide pin, only finger tight is fine, remove after use... It is not needed to raise the Kern Stabi, once it is attached to the bottom of the bike, slide Big Blue under the bike and let it do the work, you only need the KERN-STABI to support the bike properly ! ! !

Here are the photos of the Big Blue Rizer lift with the X518 to carry the weight of the bike !! ! you will notice you can change the oil on this stand but I see no reason to do such as the X518 just gets in the way. I would think it would be so easy to just leave the bike on the side stand.... jp
Does the X518 interfere with removing the oil filter, or is it 100% clear?

Pictures looks good..

Hi Scott sorry about the photo work, indeed the rails of the X518 do not block access to the oil filter at all, but you need to work between those rails and you can worth with the bike on the ground and have a much easier access... Just my two cents... I am so happy to have used my lift on that job.... jp

Hi Scott sorry about the photo work, indeed the rails of the X518 do not block access to the oil filter at all, but you need to work between those rails and you can worth with the bike on the ground and have a much easier access... Just my two cents... I am so happy to have used my lift on that job.... jp
Yes, we all know how much you love "Big-Blue"...

Is the X518 worth the money?

I'm not a particularly muscular person either. At first, even placing the platform under the motorcycle was difficult. Then I learned the right gestures. When it comes to lifting there is no risk of bending anything. The motorcycle must be held vertically before starting to operate the lever which must pass the balance point after which it must be released to its locking point. Maybe you should watch the whole thing work without the bike to fully understand the kinematics. And also get help from someone for the first maneuvers. In my case, during the last moments of the descent of the pallet truck I remain seated on the motorcycle and I place the lever forward. And I dismantle the positioning axis each time, nothing remains on the bike.
I would second that. I have just assembled the Kern-Stabi dolly and I agree it's VERY solid. that said, I'm sure the included assembly instructions are very good, I just wish they were in English LOL. It did take a while for me to assemble the thing, mainly by looking at the pictures. Where do the washers go? How does the adjustable rear frame articulate with the main frame? - there is a 50-50 chance of getting it wrong, and I did - LOL. Perhaps IKEA style photos might help. Once assembled there is a fairly good video on YouTube to show how to install and raise the dolly (
). It does take a little effort, but make sure you have the handle out to the side, not parallel to bike. (Another mistake I made). I'm used to how it operates now and practice makes perfect, so keep trying and you'll get there.

Any link(s) to the options? Sounds like BMW has an option (for lifting bike so I can swap tires) and Kern-Stabi has an option. I'm confused with the Kern one, is it two widgets or one? I have some time but in a few months I assume I'll need a solution so that I can fix a worn out rear tire.

The raw material is not expensive, it’s the time and work that makes it not cost effective. I just wanted to use my big lift and that was for me the easiest way to do so

Attachments

• 50C7682E-02FC-4C73-B023-E0442012341C.jpeg
    50C7682E-02FC-4C73-B023-E0442012341C.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 46
  • 136F1134-A529-46DF-B82B-31575D14BD94.jpeg
    136F1134-A529-46DF-B82B-31575D14BD94.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 47
The raw material is not expensive, it’s the time and work that makes it not cost effective. I just wanted to use my big lift and that was for me the easiest way to do so
Do you have a set of design plans, with dimensions that can be used to fabricate a similar jig?

Last edited:

Anyone have one of these jacks?
I have been looking for a Jack that would work using the exhaust hanger lift point.They have miltary discount(type in military on code) I ask about a group buy not sure if anyone would be interested.

Regards,Tom
I have one, and have used it on various bike while up on the table. Comes in handy. Currently my R18 is sitting on this placed right infront of the rear wheel. Works pretty good and is fairly stable

I live in Rhode Island, €400 plus shipping to the US vs the cost of a pair of square tubing, some flat stock and a sixpack for my friend who donated the Becker lift. If I had only one bike, I would buy the Kern-Stabi, since I already have the J&S Jack it’s now suitable for the BMW, my Indian and the Ducati

I live in Rhode Island, €400 plus shipping to the US vs the cost of a pair of square tubing, some flat stock and a sixpack for my friend who donated the Becker lift. If I had only one bike, I would buy the Kern-Stabi, since I already have the J&S Jack it’s now suitable for the BMW, my Indian and the Ducati
I've been looking at trying to put a solution together for a while, where I could lift my R 18 up using my lift jack; however, I'm better with the electrical aspects vs the mechanical and welding fabrication skills. I considered using the 80/20 extruded aluminum kits to build a lifting jig similar to what you built:

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 1661168889072.png
    1661168889072.png
    793.2 KB · Views: 42
  • 1661257661714.png
    1661257661714.png
    1 MB · Views: 40
  • 1661342878733.png
    1661342878733.png
    678.3 KB · Views: 39
I would not feel comfortable to use a small lift on a bike our size and weight. The wheelbase on your lift is narrow on one side, making it unstable.
I can sit on the Indian while she’s up on the lift and I am pushing 230 lbs

Attachments

• 7C980BDC-814B-4862-B40E-E874199FE065.jpeg
    7C980BDC-814B-4862-B40E-E874199FE065.jpeg
    854.6 KB · Views: 44
I would not feel comfortable to use a small lift on a bike our size and weight. The wheelbase on your lift is narrow on one side, making it unstable.
I can sit on the Indian while she’s up on the lift and I am pushing 230 lbs
My floor jack is 13" wide and capable lifting/holding 2,000 lbs. I don't think I would go as far as sitting on it while it's lifted, but it should certainly be stable enough; providing though, I had a stable lifting surface.

Back