Jack/Lift for the R18?

• Thread starter Deleted member 770
  • Start date
Well Friends I just received my Kern Stabli lift for my R18... My goodness it is sturdy... I am dog tired, just unboxed the thing and will assemble and test it in the morning !!! If it were not so HOT would do that this evening but prefer the cool of early morning ! !!

Congratulations on your purchase.
Only after using it several times will you be comfortable with it.
If lifting the motorcycle does not require any particular effort, you must however be very careful when descending because the lever risks slipping out of your hand as the force is surprisingly strong.

If lifting the motorcycle does not require any particular effort, you must however be very careful when descending because the lever risks slipping out of your hand as the force is surprisingly strong.
Thank you so much for your comments, will keep this in mind..... jp

Well this morning I got the unit assembled and failed at everything I tried, being elderly SUCKS ! ! ! Here is the deal, with the lift platform on the bottom of the bike and I try the first move to elevate the rear tire, no problem but after the bike begins to level, suddenly there feels like a bind or something as I apply effort to the lift bar ? It just might be my lack of physical strength but I am not into forcing things to a point of failure... As you say I will be better with a few trials, for now I am going to rest a bit.... jp

I hope I can get some suggestions on this, as I tried to lift the rear of the bike but the effort required was making me think it was bound up somehow making the lifting lever feel as though it was about to bend ??? Is that normal ??? jp

I'm not a particularly muscular person either. At first, even placing the platform under the motorcycle was difficult. Then I learned the right gestures. When it comes to lifting there is no risk of bending anything. The motorcycle must be held vertically before starting to operate the lever which must pass the balance point after which it must be released to its locking point. Maybe you should watch the whole thing work without the bike to fully understand the kinematics. And also get help from someone for the first maneuvers. In my case, during the last moments of the descent of the pallet truck I remain seated on the motorcycle and I place the lever forward. And I dismantle the positioning axis each time, nothing remains on the bike.

Can someone help me by posting a video or complete picture of what we are talking about?

I can’t seem to get my head around kern stabi, big blue, horning, Kendon, lifts jacks and adapters.

Thanks.

Can someone help me by posting a video or complete picture of what we are talking about?

I can’t seem to get my head around kern stabi, big blue, horning, Kendon, lifts jacks and adapters.

Thanks.
Here is a photo of my old bike on my Big Blue lift... Go back to page 1 of this thread and look at the Hornig unit a short video.... You need the Hornig to support the R18 to avoid damage to the bike, the Big Blue works if you can rest the bike on the bottom of the frame rails which you can not do on the R18.. I hope to have a photo of my R18 on my Hornig Kern Stabi with the Big Blue raising the bike supported by the Hornig !! ! Stand by...

Attachments

• Big Blue  _  5765.jpg
    Big Blue _ 5765.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 67
Sorry the photos have been slow in coming, I am down with very painful and swollen knees right now !! !!
Here are some pictures of what I think this thread is trying to accomplish; since BMW won't sell the R18 OEM lifting gig for servicing the R18 models, some have proposed purchasing the Kern-Stabi dolly in order to get the R18 off the ground in order to avoid flat spots from long Winter storage, as well as using the dolly coupled with a lift-jack in order to stabilize the bike and provide a secure lift surface.
Screenshot_20220906-083122-258.pngScreenshot_20220906-083247-427.pngScreenshot_20220906-083210-096.png

Here are some pictures of what I think this thread is trying to accomplish; since BMW won't sell the R18 OEM lifting gig for servicing the R18 models, some have proposed purchasing the Kern-Stabi dolly in order to get the R18 off the ground in order to avoid flat spots from long Winter storage, as well as using the dolly coupled with a lift-jack in order to stabilize the bike and provide a secure lift surface.
View attachment 6871View attachment 6872View attachment 6873
Indeed, this is exactly what I am going to do with my R18.... I have the EZ Rizer Big Blue lift. My knees are having a fit now, so not sure when I will make the lift work for me... I am still unclear on the part called a Aufnahmebolzen which bolts to the underside of the R18 engine. The instructions do not tell you to remove it or let it remain on the bike ?? curious about that ???? Hornig has not replied to my email....

I thought I'd share my "redneck" bike service stand. It's a Harbor Freight model and I'm probably not tying down Alcina the proper way either...😵‍💫

Come and critique my poor-man's method of securing a $30k motorcycle down for service. Also, I hooked up an ATV winch to the front so I could inch Alcina up while I sat on her and CAREFULLY walked her up the ramp. My back doesn't have the strength to muscle 900+ lbs safely (translation: no WAY was I going to let her tip over!) by walking the bike up the normal way.

Wifey helped strap Alcina down using a criss-cross pattern on the handlebars. I used some kimwipes to protect the screen and paint from the straps, and another set of straps (orange) were added for extra stability.

Alcina_Stand1.jpg
Honda in the background is a 1976 CB500t for anyone who's curious. It's my wife's first motorcycle. The legs belong to my son ;)

Alcina_Stand2.jpg
Electric ATV winch setup. HUGE help in getting Alcina onto the lift. I sat on the bike and inched the bike forward using the winch to pull the front forks with a tow strap (not shown here).

Alcina_Stand3.jpg
The battery is a 12v LiFePO4 pulled out of an old EV truck that I bought like 15-20 of. They're great lead-acid replacements.

Alcina_Stand4.jpg
Alcina_Stand5.jpg
Alcina_Stand6.jpg
Eagle eyes can spot my 2004 r1150rt and 1976 528i E12, sans-hood. The E12 is a long-term project.

I started doing the 600 mile service today. Drained the oil but realized I had no clue where my oil filter wrench went to :mad:. So, I just ordered a $10 one off Amazon and it should be here Wednesday or Friday, hopefully. I was surprised at how loose the drain plug was. There was a single centimeter-long shaved bit of metal stuck to the end of the magnet but I'm going to chalk that up to the break-in procedure doing its part. It does make me want to split open the oil filter and see if any other metal shavings were also caught up in the first 600 miles of Alcina's life.

Additionally, I DID get the proper BMW G3 lube, despite also getting MOPAR fluid which was significantly cheaper, despite meeting API specs. I need to figure out a way to test both together, but that's something for another day. Sufficed to say, I intend to also change the transmission and final drive fluid as well during this service.

I will also be installing the black saddlebag protection bars also. Might as well bang everything out at once, right?

Mike

Here are the photos of the Big Blue Rizer lift with the X518 to carry the weight of the bike !! ! you will notice you can change the oil on this stand but I see no reason to do such as the X518 just gets in the way. I would think it would be so easy to just leave the bike on the side stand.... jp

Attachments

• Big Blue lift  _ 1702.jpg
    Big Blue lift _ 1702.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 88
  • Big Blue lift  _ 1701.jpg
    Big Blue lift _ 1701.jpg
    990.4 KB · Views: 83
  • Big Blue lift  _ 1698.jpg
    Big Blue lift _ 1698.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 80
  • Big Blue lift  _ 1696.jpg
    Big Blue lift _ 1696.jpg