If they end the R18 line...

Some of us, like me, just love working on our own machines. I have a phobia against mechanics, sorry. Even if I was a multi-millionaire, I'd still be working on my own machines (a-la' Jay Leno), just in a MUCH better garage 😂

That's what burns me so much about the whole DVD service manual SNAFU (not for this thread).

Mike

Hum, don't have YT premium and instead using the windows VLC player steps to do a download the mp4 file. Just make sure you give it enough time to fully load on your pc (it sort of does it in the background). Only then should you complete the remaining steps to save the video as a mp4 file when using VLC app.
Thanks for the video link Keehn.
I don't have YT premium either. Just google YouTube video downloader and use one of the semi-shady sites that inundate you with ads that pop up. Just put up with the pop-ups that appear and DON'T agree to download anything other than the video link URL to the video.

I have a Mac with ad-blocker and pop-ups disabled so I'm pretty set on using the actual downloader site app. Another alternative you can try is using VLC

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html.

Download the video as a stream by copying and pasting the URL as a stream. Exact instructions below:

https://itsfoss.com/download-youtube-videos-vlc/

Lastly, if you want to compress the 1.23GB video file to something a bit smaller, download "Handbrake", a free video converter that can compress the video file into something smaller but keep the general quality intact.

https://handbrake.fr

Mike

You can find now a user Wiki to maintain the R18 in German language. The valve maintenance issue has been described there. The description is in German and describes referecing to the minutes in the Russian video. German in writing is surely easier to translate by Google Translate than the Russian Audio.

I am part of a German forum but since I saw that the Russian video was mentioned here as well, I wanted to leave this message as support. If you have any questions, do not hesitate to ask
My R18 you see here. I drove the Cruiser before (bottom picture in the link) but had an accident 6 months ago

Attachments

• 20221226_123541.jpg
    20221226_123541.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 35
You can find now a user Wiki to maintain the R18 in German language. The valve maintenance issue has been described there. The description is in German and describes referecing to the minutes in the Russian video. German in writing is surely easier to translate by Google Translate than the Russian Audio.

I am part of a German forum but since I saw that the Russian video was mentioned here as well, I wanted to leave this message as support. If you have any questions, do not hesitate to ask
My R18 you see here. I drove the Cruiser before (bottom picture in the link) but had an accident 6 months ago
Now we have included multi-language function in the Wiki as well. Choose your language top-right on the Wiki: https://www.r1800wiki.org

No gas…reminds of a show I saw though thinking maybe they did not make it a series. About a place and time where the govt was removing gas powered vechilces such as motorcycles from citizens.
Wow,That creates a new problem for me.

If that happens I will have to change my old saying:

"I never had a problem that 5 gallons of gas and a match wouldn't fix"

There will be NO end to the R18 platform, .....until electric motorcycles become mainstream.

BMW has never been successful in the past, prior to the R18, in capturing sales from Harley riders and Harley fans, IMO

This R18 platform changed everything and BMW is not going to let this platform go very easily.

I am a life long Harley fan since childhood, and this R18 platform with the great engineering, jewelry like fit and finish and heritage style made me buy one.

I passed up on a 2021 Fatboy for my R18......( but the incentives made that so easy also)

Last edited:
You know its serious when the bike is stored in the living room !!
A long time ago in a galaxy far far away I used to live in junior enlisted base housing with my wife and daughter. I was riding a Sportster at the time and there wasn't any covered parking. The housing was a four unit building and we lived in the end unit. There was only one step up to the front door so I used to park my bike in the living room. I rode up the step straight into the living room. We had the couch set away from the wall so I parked the bike between the couch and the steps going upstairs. I rolled it outside to start it but I usually rode it into the house and I was running straight pipes. Lucky for me all my neighbors were also young enlisted guys and they didn't care how much noise I made. Good times....

You know its serious when the bike is stored in the living room !!

Here is another serious collector who has his own museum in his house.......local near me in Long Island New York

Looks like an excuse to ride to Long Island this summer ;). His collection and setup looks top-notch. +1 for the Yule lights strung all around🤣 (but, maybe it was xmas...still cool, given St. Nick's German heritage).
Another great collection is in my neck of the woods; Bob's BMW over in Maryland. I visited when I bought my R18 from him and he also has a crazy passion (and crazy-amount) of BMW Motorcycles!

Mike

I think 30-50 years an un-molested example of a Pure BMW R18 would do really well. The TC/Classic with all of the extra electronics, weight, would be fine but less desirable. You’ll be able to get Petrol for a while after combustion vehicles are no more so I’m not worried about that.

But at this moment, Look at the Chrome-heads Those are finally starting to increase in value slightly but they’re not desirable yet. They’re old-tech. Maybe in 15-20 years Chrome heads (R1200CL) will start to see an uptick.

*Club* membership is completely irrelevant to me and quite frankly, lame. ICGAF about being a part of any socially appreciative *perceived* (subjective) norm of society. F that..weak. That is one reason why I never bought a Harley, aside from my observation of their dated design, and overpriced nature. I bought that R18 because I liked *it*, not because I thought I was gaining some kind of social acceptance by buying a BMW. Motorcycling, for me anyway, is about freedom. Incidentally, I actually enjoy servicing my own bike..it allows to build a better bond with it.
I have the exact same sentiments on your Harley comment.

Can I ask where the Akropovic slip-ons are sold?

Might we think they would ever increase in value, say if production ends in 1 to 3 years? Wonder if one in a create would be worth much down the road. Or for that matter what condition the bike would be in many years enhance if in a create?
This bike is turning out to be a lot like the R1200c. No vehicle has collectible value unless there is some kind of fond memory/nostalgia for it. The R18 is a very niche bike. I wanted a retro BMW, a real live retro BMW. And that is a very tight niche. BMW had to dramatically discount even the beautiful first edition bikes. I like mine but I had my eyes open. My battered 2008 GS, fully farkled, with 110,000 miles on it… is more desirable to most BMW people than the R18 and its not denting the cruiser market much. It’s just a cool bike but no vehicle is an investment, it is simply a cost.

Back