Help removing stripped bolt

I've found the BMW hardware to be a little soft and prone to stripping; my air impact wrench scarred one of the bolts when I was upgrading my exhaust system, and I was using the proper TORX size. I recently spent over $150 USD when purchasing the necessary hardware to finish up the TC Lower Leg Wind Protection project on my R18 B; I purchased a few extra pieces of hardware, plus the two extra bolts that hold the exhaust support bracket to the frame - which I replaced recently when I installed the Kern-Stabi X518 lift bracket.

I've used the cutting wheel on my DREMEL tool (pictured) to cut down bolts and such for other projects; it might be small enough to work within your space constraints, in order to create a slot for a screwdriver?

1674402504600.png

I've found the BMW hardware to be a little soft and prone to stripping; my air impact wrench scarred one of the bolts when I was upgrading my exhaust system, and I was using the proper TORX size. I recently spent over $150 USD when purchasing the necessary hardware to finish up the TC Lower Leg Wind Protection project on my R18 B; I purchased a few extra pieces of hardware, plus the two extra bolts that hold the exhaust support bracket to the frame - which I replaced recently when I installed the Kern-Stabi X518 lift bracket.

I've used the cutting wheel on my DREMEL tool (pictured) to cut down bolts and such for other projects; it might be small enough to work within your space constraints, in order to create a slot for a screwdriver?

View attachment 8749
Thanks Scott, I've considered doing that! I haven't done anything at all yet today, been a little bit under the weather, and now I'm allowing myself to watch the playoffs. I will probably get back on it later tonight. I appreciate the feedback.

I once used a T-25 when I should have used a T-27. To get the stripped bolt out I carefully drilled a pilot hole in the exact center, then followed that with a bigger bit. One more bigger bit and it twisted easily out.
That's kind of like my method of grinding down the T55 end. Because the bit flares bigger as it gets to the end of its own taper, it acts like an oversized bit.

Removing the couple mm of bit material at the start of the bit allows the flared bit material to "bite" into the workpiece and effectively, become a T56/T57/T58 depending how much bit material you can get to bite the workpiece.

Also, is there a bigger bit than T55 that would size up neatly? If I recall correctly, the next size up is T60 and, without going out to the garage to check, I'm not positive a T60 would engage a T55?

Mike

I can grab it, but there is no room to turn it. Still waiting for some more non destructive advice before I get carried away with it.
Yeah, I'm pretty emotionally invested at this point 🤣. Hoping for a positive outcome that doesn't involve tons of work and/or damage to the bike.

Mike

Thanks Man, I am sincerely appreciative and naturally I'm very emotionally invested myself! I've been feeling pretty bad all day but I think I'll go out and give it a good look tonight and then get down to business tomorrow. I tell you what.....I am really perplexed by this situation. I just now went out to the garage with the idea that I would finish removing the one side that was almost off, just to study the bolt and the washers or spacers that are in there with it. and that damn bolt is in there so tight!!! Does anyone here have any experience removing these risers? I'm going to the dealer tomorrow to see if they have any advice at all. ( Well. they're closed on Mondays) I will not give up. but I just cannot believe that I'm having this much trouble doing what I had imagined was a pretty simple procedure.

Last edited:
Thanks Man, I am sincerely appreciative and naturally I'm very emotionally invested myself! I've been feeling pretty bad all day but I think I'll go out and give it a good look tonight and then get down to business tomorrow. I tell you what.....I am really perplexed by this situation. I just now went out to the garage with the idea that I would finish removing the one side that was almost off, just to study the bolt and the washers or spacers that are in there with it. and that damn bolt is in there so tight!!! Does anyone here have any experience removing these risers? I'm going to the dealer tomorrow to see if they have any advice at all. ( Well. they're closed on Mondays) I will not give up. but I just cannot believe that I'm having this much trouble doing what I had imagined was a pretty simple procedure.
Reading your post does give me chills because we’ve all been there, too many times TBH. What started out as a 5 min job turns into an absolute nightmare and you wish you hadn’t bothered in the first place. Could you just put it all back and try to forget about the whole thing? If not you may have to consider a front end strip down to get at the bolt properly. If you try to get it out where it is you risk knackering the bolt head completely and losing your temper with it (ask how I know) and making a bad situation a whole lot worse. I think you’ve definitely done the right thing coming away from it to stop & think. Best of luck 👍

Reading your post does give me chills because we’ve all been there, too many times TBH. What started out as a 5 min job turns into an absolute nightmare and you wish you hadn’t bothered in the first place. Could you just put it all back and try to forget about the whole thing? If not you may have to consider a front end strip down to get at the bolt properly. If you try to get it out where it is you risk knackering the bolt head completely and losing your temper with it (ask how I know) and making a bad situation a whole lot worse. I think you’ve definitely done the right thing coming away from it to stop & think. Best of luck 👍
It would be as hard or harder to put it back now. I'm committed to winning, but I will try to examine all of my options before proceeding. I'm thinking about using a cut off wheel to cut through the risers and expose the bolt on the other end. I would be able to get it out for sure at that point. Also considering applying heat to the risers and see if that loosens up the bolt. I don't care at all about the current risers or bolts so at least that frees me up on that angle.

It would be as hard or harder to put it back now. I'm committed to winning, but I will try to examine all of my options before proceeding. I'm thinking about using a cut off wheel to cut through the risers and expose the bolt on the other end. I would be able to get it out for sure at that point. Also considering applying heat to the risers and see if that loosens up the bolt. I don't care at all about the current risers or bolts so at least that frees me up on that angle.
I hate this bolt... I just want it out already..!!! Screaming into a pillow...

You asked; they come out easily using the Torx 55 ( with upward pressure ).

All methods above will work. I think I've used them all. Don't forget to try Freeze Off. to cool the bold, (shrink it), when you get somethinghalfway solid in there. Always the last resort is to weld another hex head bolt on the stripped bold. That works 99.999% of the time. The location requires a good welder and some asbestos protection. Also, sometimes, ....sometimes dremmeling a cut to fit a LARGE screwdriver in there works. Good luck!

All methods above will work. I think I've used them all. Don't forget to try Freeze Off. to cool the bold, (shrink it), when you get somethinghalfway solid in there. Always the last resort is to weld another hex head bolt on the stripped bold. That works 99.999% of the time. The location requires a good welder and some asbestos protection. Also, sometimes, ....sometimes dremmeling a cut to fit a LARGE screwdriver in there works. Good luck!
My son in law ordered a removal socket that's supposed to fit around the outside. If that doesn't work I'm seriously considering cutting off the riser to allow access to the other side of the bolt. That way, I can work from above and should be able to drill it out, if nothing else. if anybody wants to stop me from trying this, NOW is the time to speak up! LOL!

Back