Has anyone considered switching to the K 1600 B

I tried to like the K16 platform. I still do, but alas, I just never got along with it. Instead, I ended up with a latest gen Goldwing DCT and it is the best BMW RT that I have ever owned. A perfect counterpart to my R18C.

I have always wondered what the DCT was like. I owned a manual shift Wing in 2018 but never had an automatic transmission bike. The DCT sets Honda apart from the rest.
(But I ogle my R18B more than the Wing)

Depends what you want from a bike I guess but I think you’ll get bored of it pretty quickly. I had a ZZR1400 (Ninja ZX-14 over the pond) which had significant power and torque as well as being smooth but once the power giggles wear off it just doesn’t have any character.

That, and the relentless war on speed as well increasingly poor driving standards and roads in disrepair mean I’m more than happy chugging around with a low HP, high torque characterful engine underneath me.

What is it about the R18 B you don’t like? I recall you made a very similar thread about the K1600 almost as soon as you got it, did you not test ride both at the time before switching from your classic?
love the B just curious i know the K is power junkie

Just wondering if anyone has considered switching from the R 18 B to the K 1600 B Seating position seems to be Better in the K also more HP and torque and super smooth > let me know your thoughts?
The K1600 motor is smooth as can be and basically a flat power curve…. there is torque available everywhere, so it is very quick. The chassis handles very well & definitely is more on the sport touring part of the spectrum.

If you want something to travel on the autobahn eating miles keeping you in reasonable comfort with no fatigue from engine vibration, the K1600 series is a great option. But, the R18 motor has far more character and BMW hit it out of the park when it comes to styling. Even after thousands of miles in my first year of owning my R18, I still laugh out loud when I roll on the throttle because of the character of the vibrations of the engine.

The K1600 is very competent and when I’ve done roll on it would climb in speed quickly, but I never got a ridiculous grin on my face from that experience. To me it felt more like a car than a bike. The engine is so smooth, you almost forget its there and accelerates well for such a big bike. My S1000R has a similar character being an inline 4, but due to it weighing nearly 300lbs less than the K1600 with the same HP, acceleration is more like a light switch. So my S1000R is visceral and a great speed thrill. The K1600 feels like a fast touring bike. The R18 is a different beast altogether. It’s not fast, it won’t handle as well as the K1600, but I get off that bike with a huge smile every time!

Bravo, I really like my R18TC too even though I removed the top box.

The R18B will give you more tech (ACC) and better audio. What year K16 do you have? You might like R18B’s 10.25” TFT, but that’s a personal decision. The K16 will give you more storage if that matters to you. The Galaxy Dust Metallic of the R18 is very nice. And the R18 may not have as much power, but it’s no slouch, and when riding the R18 you know you’re riding a motorcycle - the K16 doesn’t have that same visceral feeling. Take one for a test ride if you haven’t already.
I have a 2018 K1600B - definitely enjoy it, but have an R18B test ride scheduled for tomorrow. We'll see...

interested in your opinion
Just got back. Man this is a tough one. I love the look, electronics, and music on the R18B. Also like the low end of the engine. The highway was so-so. Seemed a little slugggish around 80 mph. The rpm band on it is very different than what I'm used to so that may have been part of it.

To be fair, I'm so used to the K1600s endless torque and hp so I knew this may be an issue. I'd make the comparison that the K1600B is a rocket that doesn't vibrate one bit regardless of gear or speed. The quick shifter only adds to the smoothness.

The R18 is a gorgeous motorcycle that rides with the personality and character of an old hotrod - which I appreciate. Really really cool bike.

I also rode a new Indian Chieftain today which I wasn't a fan of. Thought the R18 beat it pretty much across the board.

Did you try to different ride modes at speed? I don’t see how the engine could *compete against the acceleration of the K1600 heartbeat although granted that one is so smooth, from my old memory, that might feel like a goldwing. Which one could ‘feel’ is good or bad.

My is not shipped to me yet though believe the r18 likes to be ridden from 2:50 to 4:15pm (aka 2,500 to 3,900 rpm there abouts) plus I am uncertain what speeds above (even at) 80mph the engine remains/becomes vib free. From a different post a user put the bike in Rain mode which resulted in the engine being smooth at 78mpg vs other modes used. Go figure…

*disclaimer - the r18 engine is not to be compared to other engines offered by bmw

Last edited:
Just got back. Man this is a tough one. I love the look, electronics, and music on the R18B. Also like the low end of the engine. The highway was so-so. Seemed a little slugggish around 80 mph. The rpm band on it is very different than what I'm used to so that may have been part of it.

To be fair, I'm so used to the K1600s endless torque and hp so I knew this may be an issue. I'd make the comparison that the K1600B is a rocket that doesn't vibrate one bit regardless of gear or speed. The quick shifter only adds to the smoothness.

The R18 is a gorgeous motorcycle that rides with the personality and character of an old hotrod - which I appreciate. Really really cool bike.

I also rode a new Indian Chieftain today which I wasn't a fan of. Thought the R18 beat it pretty much across the board.
yea the BMW is better thank Indian and Harley i would say not sure but the K 1600 is a rocket

Did you try to different ride modes at speed? I don’t see how the engine could *compete against the acceleration of the K1600 heartbeat although granted that one is so smooth, from my old memory, that might feel like a goldwing. Which one could ‘feel’ is good or bad.

My is not shipped to me yet though believe the r18 likes to be ridden from 2:50 to 4:15pm (aka 2,500 to 3,900 rpm there abouts) plus I am uncertain what speeds above (even at) 80mph the engine remains/becomes vib free. From a different post a user put the bike in Rain mode which resulted in the engine being smooth at 78mpg vs other modes used. Go figure…

*disclaimer - the r18 engine is not to be compared to other engines offered by bmw
I didn't try the different ride modes. It was in "rock" the entire time.

It also took me a bit to get used to the heel-toe-shifter (had the same issue with the K1600B mid-controls at first), but I thought it was pretty fun. I'll probably have to mess around with the rpms a little more. I like the vibration to some degree, but want to better see where it comes and goes.

I may take a 2nd longer ride to check it out a little more. Worst case, I have another fun ride on the R18B!

Back