Has anyone considered switching to the K 1600 B

Berardi3

Just wondering if anyone has considered switching from the R 18 B to the K 1600 B Seating position seems to be Better in the K also more HP and torque and super smooth > let me know your thoughts?

Just wondering if anyone has considered switching from the R 18 B to the K 1600 B Seating position seems to be Better in the K also more HP and torque and super smooth > let me know your thoughts?
The R18 Users Group (RUG) meet Thursdays at 7pm. They are there for YOU and to support YOU in understanding your misguided thoughts. Homework assignments will be assigned directing you to select affirming R18 post :) on this site.

The RUG program also includes a self help section, allowing you to post positive r18 thoughts at r18rug.com
Don’t worry, we will help you get though this down period.

Last edited:
I have owned a K1600B, it's a great bike. Actually, I have owned 3 K16's, 2 GT's and a B. At this time of my life, the R18 platform, suits me best. Ride one, and decide for yourself.

My recall from limited time riding one was the engine is simply incredible with immense power and ultra smooth power band. Thinking I later test road the one without the trunk and for some reason felt the rear suspension was not as plush as the one with a truck. End the end maybe it is a question of does it feel to heavy to ride (don’t know weight difference between any of the R18 and K1600 line).

My recall from limited time riding one was the engine is simply incredible with immense power and ultra smooth power band. Thinking I later test road the one without the trunk and for some reason felt the rear suspension was not as plush as the one with a truck. End the end maybe it is a question of does it feel to heavy to ride (don’t know weight difference between any of the R18 and K1600 line).
Difference is about 120lbs bagger to bagger was at the dealer today the k is lighter

To me, the biggest difference is that the powertrains are completely different. The 6 cylinder is incredibly smooth, power is huge and it gets exciting as it quickly revs to the 8800RPM redline. Although the K1600 Grand America is more expensive, high tech, etc., in many ways I actually prefer my Pure R18 at least for shorter rides of 150-200 miles. For distances beyond that, I prefer the Grand America. For me, one big drawback of the Grand America is that it is really top heavy and is a challenge in slow and tight maneuvering. Once it gets going it is quite agile and great to ride. I have to admit what I really love about the R18 (which I keep in the Rock Mode) is the genuinely visceral feeling I experience whenever I ride it. It kind of reminds me of the Bonnevilles (650 and 750) I started out way on back in the day. I got an incredible deal on my R18 and it puts a realky big smile on my face whenever I open it up. I find the handling to be great and after adjusting the rear suspension properly I have never dragged or scraped. People might think I'm crazy but in some ways I prefer my basic R18 to the much more expensive Grand America but that's what riding bikes is all about for me and everyone else...

To me, the biggest difference is that the powertrains are completely different. The 6 cylinder is incredibly smooth, power is huge and it gets exciting as it quickly revs to the 8800RPM redline. Although the K1600 Grand America is more expensive, high tech, etc., in many ways I actually prefer my Pure R18 at least for shorter rides of 150-200 miles. For distances beyond that, I prefer the Grand America. For me, one big drawback of the Grand America is that it is really top heavy and is a challenge in slow and tight maneuvering. Once it gets going it is quite agile and great to ride. I have to admit what I really love about the R18 (which I keep in the Rock Mode) is the genuinely visceral feeling I experience whenever I ride it. It kind of reminds me of the Bonnevilles (650 and 750) I started out way on back in the day. I got an incredible deal on my R18 and it puts a realky big smile on my face whenever I open it up. I find the handling to be great and after adjusting the rear suspension properly I have never dragged or scraped. People might think I'm crazy but in some ways I prefer my basic R18 to the much more expensive Grand America but that's what riding bikes is all about for me and everyone else...
What is your weight and what did you set the rear shock to please?

Think I just read a review recently that said they dropped the 2023 top hp peak so it hits 1,000k lower then the prior year model did. So that might come in handy. Plus that blue on the 2023 K bike is beyond sweet, loving that new color.

Think I just read a review recently that said they dropped the 2023 top hp peak so it hits 1,000k lower then the prior year model did. So that might come in handy. Plus that blue on the 2023 K bike is beyond sweet, loving that new color.
It’s all the 2022+ K1600s, not just the upcoming 2023 models. And that Gravity Blue Metallic is also on the 2022 GTL.

Looks do matter……..because guys often go for looks.
The R18B is quite appealing to the eye. My ex-6 cylinder GoldWing was super smooth (very nice)……..I’ll take my R18B any day over the wing.

What is your weight and what did you set the rear shock to please?
Sorry I don't remember what it is set to but I based it on 350 pounds total (me/pillion/ATTATG for both) since I almost always ride it 2-up and it is actually quite comfortable even on rural Maine roads... And the Weekender seat really helps with the comfort!

I've been lurking here for a few weeks contemplating trading my K1600B for an R18B. Still a tough decision. The styling of the R18 is more appealing to me, but the power and capability of the K16 is undeniable. It's like nothing else I've ever ridden. 1st world problems...

I've been lurking here for a few weeks contemplating trading my K1600B for an R18B. Still a tough decision. The styling of the R18 is more appealing to me, but the power and capability of the K16 is undeniable. It's like nothing else I've ever ridden. 1st world problems...
The R18B will give you more tech (ACC) and better audio. What year K16 do you have? You might like R18B’s 10.25” TFT, but that’s a personal decision. The K16 will give you more storage if that matters to you. The Galaxy Dust Metallic of the R18 is very nice. And the R18 may not have as much power, but it’s no slouch, and when riding the R18 you know you’re riding a motorcycle - the K16 doesn’t have that same visceral feeling. Take one for a test ride if you haven’t already.

Depends what you want from a bike I guess but I think you’ll get bored of it pretty quickly. I had a ZZR1400 (Ninja ZX-14 over the pond) which had significant power and torque as well as being smooth but once the power giggles wear off it just doesn’t have any character.

That, and the relentless war on speed as well increasingly poor driving standards and roads in disrepair mean I’m more than happy chugging around with a low HP, high torque characterful engine underneath me.

What is it about the R18 B you don’t like? I recall you made a very similar thread about the K1600 almost as soon as you got it, did you not test ride both at the time before switching from your classic?

Back